Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

ScanguageII Post Pics of your install

39K views 127 replies 32 participants last post by  NZ Forester 
#1 ·
Hey I want a ScangaugeII however I have a 2003 so I want pics of where people have mounted there's between 2003-2007. If it is at all possible I would like ideas I want to put mine in the ashtray cubby but that blocks the power port for my GPS so I'm in a bind.

#2 · (Edited)
In MY03 I mounted my ScanGauge II to the left of the instrument cluster with double sided foam tape, which I like, since it's easy to remove if you decide to remove it. I find this mounting location very convenient to view & to change settings.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Attachments

#26 ·
In MY03 I mounted my ScanGauge II to the left of the instrument cluster with double sided foam tape, which I like, since it's easy to remove if you decide to remove it. I find this mounting location very convenient to view & to change settings.

Bobby...
Another option for mounting in that area (RHD shown)

A simple right angled bracket made out of aluminium, slips into the join between the upper and lower dash and is easily removed, and nothing left on the dash when removed

Cheers

John

#4 · (Edited)
Release the trim around the instrument cluster (two screws on the top, then pops off)... only needs to move out just a bit. Once that's done, just feed the cable thru the dash to the OBDII port. You'll have to preform the cable to neatly plug into the ScanGauge II, it's stiff, so it's best to form it to fit. You'll have to remove a bit of the instrument cluster trim to make room for the cable to pass thru. I just nipped off just enough so the trim would fit back properly. You can't see anything was changed, when the trim is reinstalled.

Bobby...

#6 · (Edited)
I haven't had any problems reading it & at night, you can pick the color of the backlighting. I selected green to match the dash cluster lighting.

If I was going to have one gauge, this would be it. I had a CEL code on my way home tonight & I was able read it & clear it on the fly. I usually use the gauge function to monitor the intake air temp, water temp, battery voltage & I like the digital speedometer. This is a very useful device. You can view it here on eBay. :wink:

Bobby...

#7 ·
I put one in but in that spot sleeper I put it in the ash tray it looks great there I dont use the ash tray the draw back is you lose the power port use but just use the one in the arm rest. Ill post a pic soon and a write up if people want

#8 · (Edited)
I gutted out my ashtray & mounted my GIZZMO MS-IBC boost controller & PerfectPower SMT6 MAP switch there. I used the power for the battery receptacle to power the boost controller.
** Update! **
We've made some changes since this post, as you can see below. :icon_eek:

More details can be found in our '03 X Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
SWEET! Looks very clean. Can the door be closed? I believe you have the same Sony receiver as I have! I picked the boost controller because of its blue display... matches the Sony!:)...

Bobby...

#11 ·
The door can be closed when I unhook it. I tired it at your spot but it was to much of a angle because I have my seat all the way back. The Sony head unit is the CDX GT-610UI I ran the Ipod cable into the lower din sleeve so I can hide the Ipod. My speakers are Sony 145 and 125 gtas. I drive to school in a lower class area so crime is high so I hide everything. I think I might do a white up on it if people want.

#12 · (Edited)
In our '95 Neon Sport, we mounted the ScanGauge II on top the steering wheel trim, in front of the gauge cluster. This spot is "perfect", but it wouldn't work on the '03 X. :frown:

I know what you mean about high crime areas. You've got to watch what you have in your ride... it's too bad, but there will always be those that will take what they don't have! :mad:

Now you need to get a Directed Electronics HD Car Connect Radio, which you can view here to go with your Sony! It has a display panel about the size of the ScanGauge II, just a bit thinner.

Bobby...

Attachments

#17 ·
#15 · (Edited)
As far as I know, it's not compatible. I'm just running all radio reception thru the HD receiver. Even on FM stations that are not HD, they still send additional information that the HD receiver will display. Very cool, but then, I love gadgets! :cool:

Bobby...

#16 · (Edited)
I've looked at it, but it's not something I monitor. You'll have to dig into the user's guide.

I monitor the intake air temp, water temp, battery voltage & I like the digital speedometer... interesting to compare the digital reading to the analog on the instrument cluster. The same goes for the water temp, which varies on the digital readout, when the analog gauge show no changes!

Bobby...

#18 · (Edited)
^^ Looks like the perfect spot to mount your gauge! I agree, there are few places to mount the ScanGauge II in a Forester, especially if you want to have quick access to make changes. My installation works for me, but not for those that like to sit far back, since the mouting surface (dash) does not have much of an angle.

Bobby...

#19 ·
My Scangauge mount

(Let see if this work. This is my first time uploading pics)

Anyways. I liked the way Sleeper mounted his scangauge, but I already had my dash mounted GPS on that side. So I mounted (Velcro) the Scangauge on the lid of the center dash storage compartment. The gauge is light enough that the compartment lid still pops up. I ran the wire along the inside and cut a hole beside the hinge. Then ran the wire through the dash and comes out at the steering column near the port. Works great here. And I can easily pull it off and stuff it in the compartment. Oh and there is enough clearance under the compartment lid, near the front, that the SG wire does not affect the lid closing.

The only down side is that if I wanted to hook up the Scangauge to another car (or show it off in a friends car), I no longer have a free cable. If I had thought ahead, I would have ordered a second cable.

I did use Sleepers trick to run my GPS wires (power and external Mic for the Hands free) through the dash.

Attachments

#21 ·
... I mounted (Velcro) the Scangauge on the lid of the center dash storage compartment....
I would be afraid to use velcro on the Forester dash. I used a couple of little pieces almost out of sight on my Scion xB dash to hold a dash mat in place. After a few months I didn't like the looks of the velcro and removed it. Some of the adhesive remained on the dash. I pulled this off by using the back of fresh velcro, and you can't tell anything was there unless you look very hard in the right light.

To remove 3M adhesive, the solvent is 70% alcohol as sold by drugstores in medicine cabinet bottles. It is harmless to exterior paint. I would be afraid to try it on dash paint because the consequences of any problem with that odd paint would be unrepairable.

The Forester painted dash finish is reportedly very easy to mar. If you ever want to remove the velcro from the lid, and it has aged and set into the texture of the dash material, it may leave a residue, or worse, pull off some paint.

I like subarudetdur's location on the steering column better. The location is out of the way and not noticeable from outside the car, the gauge is in perfect line of sight yet does not really block the car's instruments, and the smooth plastic surface looks more durable and cleanable than the dash.

#22 ·
I tried putting the SC on the steering column for a few days, but there was three things I did not like about that location.
1) it blocks the Outside Temp display.
2) it block the Trip/ODO display (and trip reset button)
3) you have to reach through the steering wheel to control the ScanGauge, which I found very dangerous while driving.

Since I use all three a lot, this was not the best place for me.

#25 ·
I guess I can add mine in here now that I grabbed a pic of it. The Scangauge II seems to fit nicely in the small overhead sunglasses holder. I ran the cable up under the dash to where the A pillar meets the dash and windshield, there is a big enough gap to pass the cable through with out taking any thing apart. Then chased it behind the A pillar and along the head liner, tucking it in. Removed the overhead compartment and drilled the 11/16" hole and passed the cable through.

The pros:

1. no extra stuff on the dash
2. it does not block the view of any thing else(gauges, clock, traffic...)
3. clearly visible
4. not in direct sunlight(the scangauge display dislikes the heat after sitting in the sun all day)
5. Quick/easy to hide from the less then desirable crowed that likes to steal stuff out of cars if they see it or possibly to hide it from the significant other:biggrin:

The cons:

1. The six foot OBDII cable that comes with the scangauge is exactly one foot too short:yell:. You have four choices.
  • Use a straight through RJ-45 female to female connector(~$3 at Home depot, $10 at Best Buy:chair:) and a one foot cat5 patch cable
  • Use a one foot female to male cat5 patch cable to lengthen it(Hard to find(in a brick and mortar store), unless you make one)
  • Cut and splice/solder on a additional length of cat5 cable
  • Buy and OBDII plug and make your own with a cat5 cable
    This is the route I went. The plug can be ordered from here OBD2Cables.com model number 200701(works nicely and fits the space SOA/Fuji gave for the OBDII port, some right angle plugs are too big) and use a longer then seven foot cat5 cable and mate it to the OBDII plug.
2. drilling a 11/16 hole in the body of the sunglasses compartment to pass the cable through.

Out of sight out of mind.

#28 ·
Skippy, That looks like a great idea. Might have to try it out. Like I said in my post earlier, I have my Dash Mounted GPS on that side of my car, but with your "Mount" I think both will fit on that side.

Here is the only photo I have of my current set up. Sorry for the bad quality. I was driving, pulling a tent trailer (hence the extra mirror and Transmission Temp Gauge), on the highway while snapping the photo. I had made a metal bracket to angle the SG up more, for better viewing, which you can kind of see. It is screwed to the underside of the compartment lid.

#29 ·
My son's '03 X ScanGauge II mounting v2

Thanks to skippy124 for sharing his mounting details for his ScanGauge II RHD.

I originally had the ScanGauge II in the '03 X stuck to the dash with double sided foam tape, left of the instrument cluster. This was okay, but the angle was far from optimal for viewing. After seeing skippy124's post, I decided to try his mounting method.

For my bracket, I used 1-1/4" plastic angle, which is used to trim out the inside & outside corners on plastic coated industrial wall panels (Sheetrock). I trimmed off 3/8" on the side that pushed into the dash to get the clearance (offset) I wanted. Or '03 X is LHD, so I routed the ScanGauge II cable into the dash at corner of the instrument cluster trim.

Using this method of mounting the ScanGauge II has another plus. The ScanGauge II can be quickly unplugged & removed for theft prevention!

The installation write up for my '07 FSXT can be viewed here: Scangauge II is installed!. There are more detailed installation instruction on how the cable is routed in this write up.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

#31 ·
Thanks to skippy124 for sharing his mounting details for his ScanGauge II RHD.

I originally had the ScanGauge II in my '03 stuck to the dash with double sided foam tape, left of the instrument cluster. This was okay, but the angle was far from optimum for viewing. After seeing skippy124's post, I decided to try his mounting method.

For my bracket, I used 1-1/4" plastic angle, which is used to trim out the inside & outside corners on plastic coated industrial wall panels (sheetrock). I trimmed off 3/8" on the side that pushed into the dash to get the clearance (offset) I wanted. My '03 is LHD, so I routed the ScanGauge II cable into the dash at corner of the instrument cluster trim.

Using this method of mounting the ScanGauge II has another plus. The ScanGauge II can be quickly unplugged & removed for theft prevention!

Bobby...
Happy to share!! and Bobby nice idea on the plastic angle extrusion, I reckon that is better than the bent up aluminium sheet by a long way!!

And I know where to come now for some double sided tape :icon_biggrin:

Cheers

John

#38 ·
So where did you mount your scangauge?

Sorry guys, I'm at a loss here. I got my scangauge 2 days ago :)woohoo:), and I couldn't find a place to route the wires. I'd like to put it to the left of the steering column, past the vent at the windshield (I think it's def vent for the window/windshield).

Just requesting some pictures and know-how, please.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.