Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Deals Gap, NC Meet - Tail of the Dragon

61K views 694 replies 34 participants last post by  Tuned200 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, so some of us have been discussing doing this for a couple days now and it's about time we try and set something up that more people can attend.

The current date planned for this is the weekend of May 21-22th, 2011 which is the weekend before Memorial Day, and the Canadian holiday weekend.
The place could very well be hopping that weekend, but it's still fairly early in the season. To be safe we should sort out the details well in advance for those who plan on making more than just one day out of it. It should be a fun time, no matter what the weather does.

Here is some basic info on the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

EVENT DETAILS said:
Friday:
- Some members arriving early at various locations
- Due to varying arrival times, no specific "dinner plans".

Saturday:
- Everybody meets at the West end of the Dragon HERE around Noon
- Drive the Tail of the Dragon/Skyway loop
- Drive the Moonshiner 28 to Asheville
- Group dinner at Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company
- Everybody returns to their respective lodging
- Here is a map for the day's route: US-129 to Asheville, NC

Sunday:
- Group drive up to the Devil's Triangle, meeting at the Food Lion in North Maryville around 10:30am
- optional blast at the dragon again for some
- nothing significant planned to allow some people to return home or sight-see

Who might be coming?
  • Duderotomy
  • Tuned200 & Pam_cakes
  • SplatSTi
  • Rexspeedworthy
  • scubadoober
  • dpkilty
  • 4x4max
  • el Fox beSTIal
  • problemcat13
  • WNC Forester
  • ArcadeTom
  • Wessneroo
  • zebra
  • Stokenstein
  • graysonsubaru
  • gdawrx
  • cosmiccharlie (maybe)
  • Bravo12 (maybe)
  • WhatThaFrig (maybe)
  • Hardrvin (cancelled)

There are two different groups of people for this event.
Group A who are arriving on Friday, and Group B who will first be arriving at the rendezvous point on Saturday.

The group dinner location is Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company
The restaurant menu can be found HERE

Dinner Attendance List said:
  • Duderotomy (2)
  • dpkilty (2)
  • scubadoober (2)
  • ArcadeTom (2)
  • Tuned200 & Pam_Cakes (2)
  • SplatSTi (2)
  • Rexspeedworthy (2)
  • Wessneroo (2)
  • problemcat13 (1)
  • Stokenstein (2)
  • el Fox beSTIal (1)
  • gdawrx (1)

TOTAL -> 21

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
T shirt ordering is over. Thank you to all who helped us make it happen!

I will have a few extra shirts in person at the meet. If anyone wants one its 1st come 1st serve. I know I have a mens medium and XL. The price is 18 per shirt in cash on the spot or you can pm me and pay me before hand.

Tuned200-2
Pam_cakes-2
Remington-2
El foxbsSTIal - 2
Scubadoober-1
Aaron-1 Shirt designer.
Rexspeedworthy-2
DPkilty-2
Kai-2
Problemcat-2
Tom-2
Stokenstein-2
Grayson Subaru-10
TiC-8
gdawrx-2
Wessneroo-2
WNC Forester-1

the front will look something like this on a black shirt;

the rear will look something like this

What do you guys think?

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Oooooooo I'm moving back to East Tennessee so as of now I am in as well. I never have drove the tail, but have bike friends that go a couple times a year. Just for disclosure if you think you can go up there and drive like the Stig think again, there is a LARGE police presence with expensive tickets and lack of compassion. It is more of a 25 mph parade on one of the sickest roads on the east coast, it is more of a meet than driving experience. With that said I am in in in in in.

#4 ·
... I never have drove the tail, but have bike friends that go a couple times a year. Just for disclosure if you think you can go up there and drive like the Stig think again, there is a LARGE police presence with expensive tickets and lack of compassion. It is more of a 25 mph parade on one of the sickest roads on the east coast, it is more of a meet than driving experience...
I rode the Skyway and the Tail in 1997. Back then the Tail was not crowded, but did have a few police and an ambulance stationed at the east end, and I did see a rider at the general store with blood coming out of his ears from a crash.

#8 ·
The wife and I honeymooned in Gatlinburg last Memorial Day weekend. We drove down to it, but alas the road was closed due to rock slides.:icon_sad: Needless to say I drove like 4 hours that day for no reason. So I will definitely try hard to get down there next year. Sounds like a good anniversary gift to me.:biggrin:

#10 ·
Been there twice, in a Miata, both times during the week. No cops, and its a ball to push the limits. What really bad is when you are driving hard and a sport bike passes you on a double yellow line like you are sitting still. Find a way to rig up a camera and you can enjoy the ride over and over again.

#16 ·
10-4

Whatever floats your boat man. It will be our anniversary getaway. I think the wife would like it to be just us if you know what I am getting at. But the hotel is a good idea. If you decide to look into cabins, Timber Tops is a great place to start looking. We stayed in one of their cabins and it was unbelievable. Very nice and clean and very well maintained. Highly recommend them.
I know what you mean.

#15 ·
Whatever floats your boat man. It will be our anniversary getaway. I think the wife would like it to be just us if you know what I am getting at. But the hotel is a good idea. If you decide to look into cabins, Timber Tops is a great place to start looking. We stayed in one of their cabins and it was unbelievable. Very nice and clean and very well maintained. Highly recommend them.

#21 ·
I'd be interested in going, but the though of Memorial Day weekend is a bit of a turn off.
1: I spend it w/ the family usually and I don't believe this will go over well w/ the wife/kids.
2: It's probably going to be completely overrun with slow running Harley's over the weekend.

I prefer and "off" weekend or even better weekday. I've never had trouble w/ law enforcement down there as long as you weren't crossing the double yellow.

#23 ·
The weekend before is the Canadian holiday if you guys would rather do it then?
I could see it being fairly dead there on a Monday/Tuesday that isn't a holiday.

That'd be May 21-23 which is our Victoria Day weekend, also dubbed May 2-4. :Banane35:

If we choose that weekend, I highly doubt I could stretch it out through Memorial Day weekend though. It also runs the risk of my GF still having exams that week.

#25 ·
I would be more interested in the 21-23rd. If you want to have ANY chance at driving at a reasonable speed or parking it would work out better. That place is in the Bermuda triangle of old Harley heads (Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherokee NC, Smoky Mtns). Not to mention all the sport bikes and tuner kids, just saying it might be more enjoyable without all the wahoo's.

#26 ·
Brian, do you anticipate being off on Mondays and Tuesdays like you are currently?
If so this could work out for you if we were to do the Dragon on those days and get a cabin or something.

If we go with the earlier weekend, I'd like to be able to do the Blue Ridge Parkway towards home on the Wednesday. If we do this over Memorial Day weekend, I'll need to leave earlier and do Blue Ridge on Tuesday since I'll have to be in the office for Thursday instead of Friday the week before. I've only got myself 3½ days of vacation time to use for this... I'll have to see if I can squeeze out that extra day though if I can.

#27 ·
If school is in, we wont be attending. LB has not missed a day of school ever, nor has he been late or left early. His as well as our goal is perfect attendance thru high school.

Weekends are what we have. We could potentially leave and arrive friday night and check out sunday and come home sunday night or monday night if its during a hoilday weekend.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.