Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone in the Philly area interested in meeting up or some light off roading?

9K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  tsxguy77 
#1 ·
I have been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I'd like to try to meet up with folks from the Philadelphia area and do some light off roading.

I've found myself hard-pressed for even some dirt roads in the area and have even had to resort to driving repeatedly through a mud puddle at a local park. I'm not sure if anyone has any ideas or experiences in the area. It looks like a trip to the pine barrens in NJ sometime could be fun.

I'd be interested in hearing any off road ideas anyone has or even organizing some sort of meet up to adventure around or just compare rides.

#37 ·
Wharton would be something I am interested in but would require some advanced notice. It is quite a drive from where I am in NYC.

That said, I have the 2015 FXT with the primitive skid plates and everything else stock as far as suspension, rims, tires goes. If I am not mistaken, that would suffice for the "easier" trails. Correct me if I am wrong on this please.

#38 ·
Sure is a bit of a trip from Astoria (had a good friend there for awhile loved the beer garden). It is lots of fun to cruise the sandy roads and a bit unnerving to cross some deep puddles, but 4+ hours R/T would put a lot of pressure on me to find you something really amazing out there. I could suggest you make a little trip to Philly or AC out of it.

In my two trips so far I have not found anything the will stop the my Forester (no off road mods, except me), but I am sure it is out there.

#40 ·
I don't mind the round trip time. As long as I can make a day out of it, I can find other things to do around there. It would just be nice to get the tires off pavement. Saturday, November 15 looks like a possibility for me. Let's see if we can get a few folks together and make an afternoon out of it.

#45 ·
You got it. Maybe someone else will bite by that time.

Unfortunately I donut. :laugh: Harhar. It is really not very intense from what I have seen. I am sure with 2 cars we could limp back to the pavement if we were to get a flat.

I may head over tomorrow to scout a different area if anyone is available.

#55 ·
I also have a tow strap, air compressor and tire repair kit for small punctures. It won't save you if you rip your sidewall to shreds though.

I also have a set of traction mats just in case. I doubt we will have to use any of that stuff unless we get very adventurous and with the wife along, my adventure default setting is a 5 on a scale of 1-10.

#61 ·
Icebergs only cost me $70. Well worth it for the entertainment! $20 for a bunch of clips $50 for labor. Also picked up a tow hook cover while I was at it.

No chance yet to see what footage I got...where are the funny damage pics? I can handle a good ripping. "Sir there is no littering here!"

#63 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and was glad to see a offroad thread that is close to me(sort of close). I currently live near ocean city but Philly and Jersey aren't to far of a drive. There used to be a trail twenty minutes from me, but DNR has closed almost all the trails in MD due to environmental research and conservation. I was wondering how often and when the next time is that you guys will be headed out? and also if you guys camp when you visit as well?

#64 ·
Welcome Pap,

This was a first outing for a group that I know of. I'm sure there will be another possibly around spring unless cabin fever sets in. The ice on the water crossings are not friendly to plastic bits.

I've camped in the separate Brendan Byrne park in the area. It has a lot of fire roads that are a bit more groomed(good and bad) and drive to Atsion for trail driving.

Subscribe to this thread to keep an eye for activity.

KB

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.