Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

TPMS and Forester SG 2008

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SgtSteve 
#1 ·
So I'm reading around, and I apologize if this has been answered (and I probably has). I want to buy 5 new tires and rotate the spare. I have a full size rim and tire that came from I think a 2005 forester, so there is no TPMS in it (right?). I also have the stock spare (no TPMS right?).

So the definitive answer is?

1) Don't do it, there are only 4 slots for the sensors

2) Buy an EZ-sensor that will clone for the spare, but I need a tool to do this?

3) I've been lucky enough to not have to use the spare, but if it has no TPMS it will set off the system. Will it reset itself when I put the original tire back on?

#2 ·
Er, all the above is technically correct.

The 2005 full size spare and your stock spare do not have TPMS sensors in them. If all you're using them for is to get yourself home or to the tire shop in the event of a mishap on the road, then it's perfectly alright to not have a TPMS sensor in them. You would be getting your blown tire replaced anyway in that situation.

Your Forester only recognizes 4 unique codes.

Once you put the original wheel with the TPMS sensor on, the TMPS light will reset and stop illuminating.

Yes, there is a special tool that reads the codes off the sensor and reprograms new sensors. Your Subaru dealer has it, and some tire shops or independent mechanics may have it too. I would call to find out for sure.

I had a set of 2004 Prodrive Japan wheels on my 2008 Forester Sports XT with cloned sensors purchased from this website - TPMS SENSORS | TPMS CLONE | TPMS CLONING STORE. The forum thread is found here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tpms-clone-set-options-224066/index4.html. The cloned sensors worked like a charm and I had no issues! I highly recommend their service.

#5 ·
Ah I see what you are saying. So I guess having full size spare rotated with the rest is out. It would just be nice to not have to rush to fix the blown tire. So do you think it's worth it to get another expensive on road off road tire just for the spare, considering I'll hardly (if ever) use it? I know if it blows while off road it would make the most sense, but weighing the cost vs just some used touring tire....

#6 ·
It's a personal preference decision, so I'm not sure how to respond. For me, I'm perfectly fine with the stock donut but I do think it would be nice to have a full-size spare.

The 2008 Forester owners manual specifically mentions that in the event of a front tire blowout, you move the good rear wheel and tire to the front and then move the spare to the rear. If you had a matching spare wheel and tire to the rest of your car, then it would look consistent. :) In this situation, I can see the merit of having the spare in rotation with your other wheels. You'll just have to ignore the TPMS light, i.e., black duct tape mod. :)

As for tires, you just want to be sure you have something with matching tread depth as your other wheels to make sure your rear differential is preserved.

Hmm, I might order another stock wheel as a full size spare minus the TPMS sensor.

#7 ·
A question pops to mind...

If you did rotate your full-size spare into the mix, would the sensor on the not-used wheel be so far from the TPMS module, such that it would not communicate with the module?

In other words, does the system only register sensor signals if they are at the corners, as opposed to the cargo tray?

I really don't know the answer, but if it will, you shouldn't have a problem.

Unless your spare wheel is a steelie and your full-time wheels are alloys. Blah, blah, blah... AWD... yadda, different weights... something, something... disproportionate feedback.:grin2:

#12 ·
Don't want to complicate this but.....?

Wifey has a 2009 Forester.

TPMS dash light constantly on and I check the tires regularly.

Evidently one of the sensors has a booboo.

Seeing as how it's a 2009 I'd guess the Subi dealer or my good friend who has a garage (was a Subi service manager) would be able to read the sensors and tell me which one is shot.

Looking to get tires this fall so I don't want to replace a bad sensor. THose things go for about $50 each right?

Sgt Steve

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.