LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Transmission: 5spd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Pressure Monitoring Reset?

ok, i got myself some winter wheels and snow tires from tirerack.com. i put them on, no low pressure light for about 10 miles, then it flashes and stays on constantly. the owner manual says thats what happens when you switch wheels. the owner manual also says to take it to a subaru dealer to reset it.

Anybody know how to reset it? does pulling the battery terminal reset the system and then allow the new sensors in the new wheels to link up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb

If you have TPMS sensors in your winter tire set, and you want your Forester's TPMS to funtion nominally, then you'll have to go to Subaru to have the TPMS reset. And when you switch back to your all-season tires in the spring, you'll need to take your car back to Subaru to have the system reset again.

I didn't buy TPMS sensors for my winter tire set. Instead, I place a piece of green electrical tape over the TPMS indicator on the dash, and, as I do year 'round with all my vehicles, I check tire pressures regularly. When I put my A/S tires back on the in the spring, the Forester's TPMS picks up the original sensors, the TPMS indicator stays off, and I remove the tape.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

so pulling the batter cable off will have no effect on this?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

Unhappy

Correct.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

thats a bunch of crab, i dont need it to tell me about my tire pressure. i keep a close on eye on whats going on with my vehciles. i just dont want to be staring at this POS light for a few months haha.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Lightbulb

When I'm operating with my winter tire set without TPMS sensors, I use a square of green electrical tape to cover the TPMS warning indicator. This way, the illuminated indicator isn't visible to me during the day, and I don't find the faint yellow glow through the tape at night to be a distraction.

The TPMS resets when the a/s tires go back on, and I remove the tape.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

i had the sensors installed when i ordered them off tire rack. so i feel i need to use them haha. i wonder if a tire place can reset them, instead of having to go all the way to a subaru dealer. is the system subaru specific? or is it like a standard from company to company.

do you know if that tire pressure warning is on, does it disable other systems in the vehicle?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Lightbulb

I believe that there's a third party system that can do a Subaru TPMS system reset, but I can't remember the specifics. You might try using the 'Search' function above (in the tan bar), pull down to 'Advanced Search', and then search 'All Dates' for keyword 'TPMS' posts in the 'Tire and Wheel' sub-forum for more info.

Note that even if you do find a third-party solution, you're still looking at paying for the reset twice per year.

I'm not aware of any TPMS 'ON' interference of any other car system, in particular because using the temp/donut spare, which is not equipped with a TPMS sensor, will trigger the TPMS indicator.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
This topic has a million threads all over the internet by many different people with many different cars. Ever since it became law in 2008, the TPMS has been pissing people off ever since. I didn't spend almost $60k to buy 2 brand new Subarus just to put electrical tape on the instrument cluster. As it turns out, that is still the cheapest way to get around the "2 sets of wheels and tires" TPMS problem. The way I see it, there are options, but none of them as easy as electrical tape.
Options:
1. Go to the Subaru dealer and pay $50 on average. My dealer charges $26, but I've heard some as high as $80.
2. You can buy the same tool the Subaru techs use for around $1500.
3. You can try the ATEQ Quickset tool. TPMS Reset Tool - ATEQ QuickSet. It's approx $150 and I've only read one story from someone that got it to work.
4. Buy a second TPMS computer and get it programmed for the second set of sensors and just change out the computer every time. No word on the cost of doing this.
5. Make a "bomb", that is a can that is big enough to hold 4 sensors and air tight. Then fill it up with air to pressurize and keep in the trunk. I've read this may or may not work since most people think the sensors have to be rotating.
6. Pull the instrument pod out and pull the bulb for the TPMS sensor. This may be to drastic for some and may have legal implications should you sell or trade the car.
7. Just live with the light on.
8. Spend the $.79 for a roll of electrical tape and only have to use it for the winter months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X
5. I think there is a reason the "bomb" method won't work on Subaru... and I think the tires need to be rotating.
6. I think I read somewhere that the instrument cluster is not an option to "take the bulb out" it's all one integrated circuit board or something....

8. I used "Pro Gaf" black tape. It's flat black on the operators side.

I'm running a second set of wheels and tires, and when I get around to buying new tires for the first set, I'm going to take those sensors out.

Some standardization must be implemented for these things.

Black tape doesn't bother my eye at all!

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Some standardization must be implemented for these things.
There is another way, IMHO, and it doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.

Another one of our car's flat tire monitor (FTM) system uses the ABS system to monitor for low pressure/flat tires. The system uses each wheel's tone ring to establish a baseline "counts per rev" for each tire at a reference pressure. When the pressure falls enough to reduce tire size and increase the count, the system displays a warning on the dash.

There's a simple procedure to recalibrate the system when the tires are changed and cold. There are no other sensors, the system works with the spare (after re-initialization), and there are no trips to the dealer or indy.

The system works. I had some repair work done on two wheels a couple of months ago, and the tech didn't re-inflate the tires to the correct pressures. The FTM system displayed a warning less than a half-mile from the shop.

Amazing!
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: ForesterX/07Outback
Here is how I am handling TPMS sensors on winter wheels for both of my Subarus. By cloning the sensor IDs to a second set, the TPMS module in your car never needs to be reset as both the summer and winter sets of wheels will appear identical to the module:

Subaru TPMS cloning - Orange Electronics sensors

As I outline in detail in the linked post above, this can be accomplished with programmable Orange or Schrader TPMS sensors.

You mentioned that you purchased your winter wheels from TireRack and had TPMS sensors installed. Check on your receipt or with TireRack to see if they happened to have installed the EZ-Sensor, part # 33000. If you are lucky, they did, those sensors can be cloned to duplicate the sensor ID of your summer wheels, which will negate the need to do a twice yearly reset.

--
2009 Forester X 5MT
2007 Outback 2.5i 4AT
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

i checked my receipt, i have schrader sensors, part number 28203. as far as i can tell they aren't able to be cloned :-( thanks for the help guys! i been driving a 99' civic for the last 9 years. so all this standard technology features are all new to me, haha.

Last edited by Jayrayy148; 01-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by apscott View Post
Here is how I am handling TPMS sensors on winter wheels for both of my Subarus. By cloning the sensor IDs to a second set, the TPMS module in your car never needs to be reset as both the summer and winter sets of wheels will appear identical to the module:

Subaru TPMS cloning - Orange Electronics sensors

As I outline in detail in the linked post above, this can be accomplished with programmable Orange or Schrader TPMS sensors.

You mentioned that you purchased your winter wheels from TireRack and had TPMS sensors installed. Check on your receipt or with TireRack to see if they happened to have installed the EZ-Sensor, part # 33000. If you are lucky, they did, those sensors can be cloned to duplicate the sensor ID of your summer wheels, which will negate the need to do a twice yearly reset.
Thanks for the part #, but $56 each.. x 4......
No way. And I believe the batteries in the sensors are not changeable.

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Which brings up why subaru didnt design it to hold 8-9 sensors. Its not like Winter tires are new thing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode