Tire for comfort, mpg and low road noise. - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

as a comparison:

Yokohama YK520:
size: 215/60R16 95H SL
utqg rating: 520/A/A
Max Load at Cold Inflation Pressure (lbs. @psi): 1521@51

Michelin Primacy MXV4:
size: 215/55R17 94H SL
utqg rating: 620/A/A
Max Load at Cold Inflation Pressure (lbs. @psi): 1477@44 psi

With the difference in the load index rating, max load rating and max inflation pressure between the two tires, what difference can be expected between the two tires in terms of my preferences?
parad1mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X Prem AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Here are today’s Tire Rack prices for the following tires in size 225/55R17 H speed rating:
$156 – Michelin Primacy MXV4
$136 – Continental ContiProContact
$123 – Yokohama Avid ENVigor
The same size Continental ContiProContact with a “T” speed rating is $111.

Consumer Reports and Tire Rack’s survey have both dinged the ContiProContact on tread life, a test area in which the Primacy MXV4 scored quite well. The Primacy MXV4 also scored better then the ContiProContact in CR’s rolling resistance test.

Perhaps I should have said it’s my view that the MXV4 appears to be a competitive value?

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #33 (permalink)
New User
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5X Limited 4EAT
Gallery: 33
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Micheys

Thanks for the PM Parad1mg,

With Crewzer's help, I believe we're really covering the MXV4.

When I purchased the MXV4s, I thought I had done enough research to justify their purchase. At the time, I was looking for a good all-around touring and M+S tire with high tread life. I really didn't need a dedicated winter tire, just needed something that could handle winter ski trips.

At any rate, at the time, I was looking at the Yokohoma Advan S4, the Avid, some Goodyears, and the Michelins. The Yoko Envigors weren't around yet; though, they seem like a great tire. Finally, after reading reviews, noting the tread designs, and being generally displeased with the Geolanders, I went with the Michelins. So far, I've got about 4000 miles on the MXV4s. Here's what I think--

I like the Primacy MXV4s because of the Michelin name, the tread wear (60,000), their grip on wet roads, and M+S rating. I think MXV4s are quiet enough on the foz, but they're not the quietest tire out there for sure. They aren't "loud" per se, so it shouldn't be an issue after you've ridden around on em for a bit...bear in mind that the foz's cabin doesnt do a superb job at canceling out noise (better on SH tho). The tires def handle great in the snow (zero slippage), but that's on plowed roads. I probably woudn't say the ride feels plush, but that might have something to with the foz suspension as well.

Do I feel like I got the best bang for my buck? Yes. If I could go back would I have picked a different tire? Probably not.

I feel ultra comfortable knowing I've got this tire on. I've had the chance to test their grip around corners and sharp road curves (50mph avg.), wet and dry, and I haven't experienced the tiniest bit of hydroplaning or slip (I'm sure AWD has something to do too). I guess, all the good reviews and my general trust in the Michelin name ultimately led me to the tire. I almost went with Goodyear, but felt better with the overall tread strength in the MXV4s.

I haven't taken the tire off-road yet, but I think they will handle alright. So far, they have really proven their worth. As far as gas mileage goes, the MXV4s haven't added to or detracted from fuel economy; though I think the MXV4 is a heavier tire than the Geolander, more solid for sure.

It should be noted...this is pretty important to me...the MXV4s are a symmetrical tire, which means I can rotate and cross rotate at will. If I'm not mistaken the Yokos I was looking at are directional tires...this could be problematic when it comes time to rotate. I think the Envigors are directional as well.

All that being said. I REALLY like the MXV4s. Good luck!

Best, Andres

2009 n/a Foz w/MXV4s
bellatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: Forester
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback bellatech

Our foz is significantly quieter now and you can really hear the noise generated by the tires. The rears you cant hear much since I was able to access much of the wheel well area but the fronts are the problem makers with just the foot-well/firewall being covered. you can literally face each corner where the tires are as the road noise are linearly coming from them.

I'm currently looking up tires that do not roar on concrete roads (since California have an overwhelming amount of them and just a few stretches of asphalt ones).
parad1mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech