Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Opinions 225/45/17 vs 225/50/17

(All Years) 
12K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  stan_t 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so maybe im just wayy too ocd... But just thought id get others opinions.

Long story short these wheel and tires where going to go on the wrx but im scrapping it and building the XT instead. So i've got some brand new Michelin Pilot Pro Sport in 225/45/17. I'm currently sitting on wrx sedan Tokico D-Spec struts and RCE yellow lowering springs.

According to the tire calculators these 225/45's are 1.2" in diameter smaller than the oe tire specs. My MAIN concern is the wall looking too meaty. And its also going to mess with my speedometer a bit. Now in saying that ive been told that it is possible to dial that in when getting a tune? I had never heard of such but my brother and law has a stand alone tuner for his truck and it has the capability of doing so. I dont recall my old Accessport having that option but either way ill be going open source for the break in and then getting a dyno tune later.

Ok so no more rambling.. The tires are brand new and still have the stickers on them and the shop I used said I can switch them out if i need to. So I'm thinking about getting the same tires in a 50 series vs the 45. I plan on doing the occasional autocross and want to know if you guys think that side wall is going to be too soft for that.

See less See more
#5 ·
This was Ohlin FPS with JDM STi Pinks, probably one of the best setups I tried. 17x7.5" BBSs, Goodyear Eagle 225/45. 225/45s will look weird if your car isn't very low, but will make the car feel more like an Impreza than the 225/50s.

Stan

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.