Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

nitro tires

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 · (Edited)
just bought as is 2010 ltd. from dealer. next day low tire pressure warning illuminated on dash (carfax showed nitrogen filled tires,how often does this need to be addressed aprox?) I had a mini w/same psi sensor used just air and was pain in butt as outside temps fluctuated .wanna love this vehicle,helpful tips .

#2 ·
This may shed some light: Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen filled tires will require pressure be added during the fall/winter months as ambient temperatures and tire pressures drop. Nitrogen is good but can't change the laws of physics.

Nitrogen reduces the loss of tire pressure due to permeation through rubber over time by about 1/3. This helps maintain the vehicle's required tire pressures a little longer, but doesn't eliminate the need for monthly tire pressure checks. This is good for people who don't maintain their vehicles well.

Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit.

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

#3 ·
When I bought my second hand car I discovered that the tires only had 20 psi. They had been inflated with nitrogen and no one was prepared to top it up, not even the reselling dealer.

Air is roughly 78% nitrogen. I don't see much advantage in inflating tires with 95% nitrogen and won't pay the extra cost. I used a compressor to shove air into my tires and run them at 37 psi which seems to be their sweet spot. ( the door sticker says 35)

#4 ·
thanks for the helpful info...at least w/air I can fix myself! Is there a process for switching ,or can you add air to a nitrogen filled tire?....on a diff note, i hope "quick reply" was the appropriate button to toggle(i have no idea what the other 2 mean...social media dullard, thats me)

#5 ·
thanks for the helpful info...at least w/air I can fix myself! Is there a process for switching ,or can you add air to a nitrogen filled tire?
You can simply add air. Do you have green filler caps? They signify nitrogen which might scare off mechanics. I still have to replace mine with black ones.

...on a diff note, i hope "quick reply" was the appropriate button to toggle(i have no idea what the other 2 mean...social media dullard, thats me)
QUICK REPLY works. Experiment with the others. A full reply screen has lots of tools and smilies you can use. There may be instructions somewhere but with a little practice you will find your way around.

One of my favourite buttons is PREVIEW POST. It shows what my post will look like and gives me time to fix my mess.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.