New tires just put on, and car vibrates... - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester - Premium
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New tires just put on, and car vibrates...

I just replaced 4 tires a week ago. I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel ;usually meaning front tire off balanced, I took it back and had them re-balanced. The wheel alignment is dead on.

Is this normal when replacing tires on a 2006 Subaru Forester? Any suggestions. The vibration is not horrible; however it is annoying and happens at highway speeds 55-80.

Thanks.
SubieDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Maybe you have a bad tyre?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
has awakened!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDoo View Post
I just replaced 4 tires a week ago. I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel ;usually meaning front tire off balanced, I took it back and had them re-balanced. The wheel alignment is dead on.

Is this normal when replacing tires on a 2006 Subaru Forester? Any suggestions. The vibration is not horrible; however it is annoying and happens at highway speeds 55-80.

Thanks.
I haven't had this problem on my '03 with several tire & wheel change outs. My son's '95 Neon Sport is very sensitive to front wheels being out of balance. It causes the steering wheel to shake at 50-55, stops when you get above that speed. The solution is to get the balance "perfect", not kinda close. I only allow one person at my trusted tire shop to work on my tires & he's willing to get the balance perfect, even when the machine says it already is. It also makes a difference where the balance weights were placed. Some alloy wheels use stick on weights, which don't balance as well & may need to be moved to a different spot on the wheel.

To find which wheel is causing the problem, try rotating the front wheel to the back & back to front. Of course there is always the possiblity all the wheels will have the same issue. If the balance is right on, I'd guess a defective new tire or tires, especially if you didn't have this problem with the previous tires.

Bobby...
2.5x_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: VW GTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

My Forester is also VERY VERY sensitive to the balance of the tires. Same as yours, steering wheel shake from 55-80, not above and not below. But a new set of tires usually cures the issue.

I've checked ball joints, tie rod ends, everything. I believe it may be due to my struts being worn, which in turn do not allow the tires to keep proper contact with the road and caused them to wear slightly abnormal (or it's just the way I corner, or slide around a corner to be exact). It's most obvious when I rotate a back tire to the front, which makes sense since I spend a lot of time pushing the rear end around. Also, it seems to shake less if I'm turning some, thereby loading the suspension slightly and moving the struts out of their normal range.

That being said, this latest set of tires I purchased seem to be like that just a little from day one. I had them remount one of the tires to try and get it to balance with the least amount of add-on weights as necessary, but they still have a little shimmy anyhow. They are Bridgestone Potenza G009, which are supposed to be a great tire... but the rears do have a lot of weights to balance. I'm going to go get them rebalanced this weekend.

I'm hoping someone will come along and reply with the definitive answer for what the issue is. Either way, I'm planning on putting new struts all around since they have 148k on them. Good luck, let me know if you find a solution. I'll do the same!

EDIT: ok, maybe I'm just ranting on my own issue - your is most likely just an out-of-balance tire. May want to take it elsewhere to get it straightened out, I've had to do that with shops that couldn't get it right before.

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC

Last edited by problemcat13; 08-13-2008 at 08:50 PM.
problemcat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

You might want to check the tire pressure, because most tire shops seem to be incapable of airing up tires properly (or maybe they just don't care). An underinflated tire could easily cause vibration at certain speeds. If it doesn't go away, I'd go back and have them rebalance all four wheels.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I didn't have this problem when I got new tires 3 weeks ago on my 06 XT. The only thing that I can say about the tire shop where I got my tires is I was NOT happy how they treated my vehicle. I noticed a couple of days after I picked it up while getting gas that they had scuffed my splash guard on the front passenger side, so bad that the paint was taken off and what paint is there is all cracked. Not to mention that they somehow managed to melt part of my keyless entry remote.

I can't do anything about it because on the receipt, they say that all claims must be reported within 24 hours of pick-up of the vehicle.

My brother had a problem with vibration of his car after he got new tires. He spent countless times at the tire shop where he got them with alignments and balances. It ended up that one of the tires had a damaged cord inside the tire and it was ever so slightly off round. This was found when he had his tires at a different shop where they "road balanced" them. This required a special machine that puts a load on the tire while they balance it. It was recommend after all the alignments failed to correct the problem. I believe he had to take it to Discount Tire to get the balance done. When this was found, he got a replacement tire for free due to the warranty.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

actually, it just sounds like the tire shop doesn't know how to balance tires properly.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

^agreed. it happened to me at a costco. i brought it to another costco to rebalance (we have three costcos within 20 miles! jeez!) and voila no vibes.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

My bet is on a bad tire or possibly even the rim is slightly tweaked? Road force balancing can usually get a difficult to balance tire, balanced, so you might want to try that if the tire is found to be good (it can be a bit expensive however)
Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroove View Post
actually, it just sounds like the tire shop doesn't know how to balance tires properly.
Or they have not calibrated their balancer in many moons.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 03
Car Model: 2.5 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
^agreed. it happened to me at a costco. i brought it to another costco to rebalance (we have three costcos within 20 miles! jeez!) and voila no vibes.
Same exact problem with me at Costco....took it back had them re balance and problem gone!
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech