LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How often rotate tires for 09?

Hi!
I noticed that my owners manual for my 2009 says that I should rotate the tires every time I get an oil change (at every 3000 miles or so). Is this truly necessary or could I get away with every other oil change? I'm new to AWD, but am on a budget.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
I personally do it every oil change on the XT since i drive it harder, but I do it every other oil change on the X since my wife takes it easy. Buy a $50 2.5 ton floor jack and a set of jackstands and you can rotate them very quickly. It worth it to spend a few buckst to get the most out of your tires which cost a lot more.

05 Forester XTi Premium M/T (bobbytuned VF39)(his)
05 Forester X A/T (hers)
My Journal page
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Prem
Gallery: 5
If I remember correctly, the official oil change interval on the 09s is 7500. Only the first oil change is at 3000. I just had my 7500 service done, which was an oil change and tire rotation. Although the dealer put a sticker on my window to come back in 3000. That was my last free service, so perform my own maintenance now. So you are fine rotating every 7500.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
^^what sea-scooby said. ANY car should follow pretty much that plan, AWD or not if you want to get the most out of your tires. Else, 25k down the line on spirited driving, 30k-ish on regular driving, Geolanders go bald on one side or the other, usually on the outer edge. DIY is the best and cheapest! Oh, besides the jack and jackstand, get a torque wrench for the lugs.

05 XS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sport XT
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 1
I rotate every oil change (3000) and need to as the fronts are a fair bit different by then. If you are a smooth and calm commuter type, you could go the 7500 - but as always - Your Milage May Vary.

My 626 was hard on tires and I couldn't wait that long - 3000 was the total life of the tire. At least I got to try lots of different brands!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
My 626 was hard on tires and I couldn't wait that long - 3000 was the total life of the tire. At least I got to try lots of different brands!
You were only getting 3k TOTAL from your tires? Damn, what is that like a 100 tread wear rating?

"Wa qad u'thira man anthar."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sport XT
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 1
I don't remember - Yoko A008, A001 were among the worst. The 3000 total was when I didn't rotate them and the whole 3k was on the front.
I wondered why I couldn't keep them in balance on a set of Comp T/As and made marks on the tire by the stem. Found out they were moving around the rim under braking.
I ended up rotating every other week when I washed the wheels.

El Sid
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I wondered why I couldn't keep them in balance on a set of Comp T/As and made marks on the tire by the stem. Found out they were moving around the rim under braking.
I ended up rotating every other week when I washed the wheels.

El Sid
Do they make beadlock rims in our size? lol

"Wa qad u'thira man anthar."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy159 View Post
... I noticed that my owners manual for my 2009 says that I should rotate the tires every time I get an oil change (at every 3000 miles or so). ....
I think you have misunderstood the interval. The manual says to rotate the tires in conjunction with Subaru's recommended oil change interval. Not your own preferred interval.

The manual was written before the bulletin that reduced the turbo oil change interval to 1/2 that of the NA.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Rotate when the difference in tread depth exceeds 1/32".

Quote:
I don't remember - Yoko A008, A001 were among the worst. The 3000 total was when I didn't rotate them and the whole 3k was on the front.
The A008Rs were the worst for me. UTG of 60 IIRC. On a 911 with the staggered sizes it was about 3k or so per rear set. Good thing was back then R compounds were actually cheaper than normal tires.

'09 STI
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Yup, just rotated at 7500...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsora View Post
If I remember correctly, the official oil change interval on the 09s is 7500. Only the first oil change is at 3000. I just had my 7500 service done, which was an oil change and tire rotation. Although the dealer put a sticker on my window to come back in 3000. That was my last free service, so perform my own maintenance now. So you are fine rotating every 7500.
I just rotated the Duelers on my '09 FX today, at 7485 miles. They're wearing quite well, with a tiny scallop on the outer tread blocks, more pronounced on the fronts. Went fronts to rear, crisscrossed rears to front.

I keep wanting to get some more macho tires, mostly for looks, but the Dueler 687's are so decently even-tempered that I can't bring myself to do that. (Plus new tires, especially Michelins, are so expensive these days...) I'd love something like Michelin ATX M/S's on the Foz, but besides the cost going in, I'm a bit concerned about gas mileage--I would have to move to a 215/70x16, a bit taller, so it would give me a bit longer gearing, but they weigh about 30 lbs per compared to 23-24 for the Duelers.

George
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Forum Member

Do it every 7500 miles....like the manual says.

Front and rears wear differently and Discount Tire/America's Tire will do it for free......even if you didn't buy tires from them!

I usually tip the guy $5.00.

Phil C.
(SOLD) 2005 FXS LLB
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Transmission: 4eat ss
Gallery: 9
I rotate in the spring and in the fall. Did I mention I do the 3 season/winter tire switch over at the same time? Works for me ;-).

2010 Forester Touring/Newport blue/4eat ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.