('14+) Forester Limited 2014 tire pressure - strange dealer situation - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Forester Limited 2014 tire pressure - strange dealer situation

I have a strange tire pressure / dealer situation. Took possession of my new Forester on Monday. Today I checked tire pressure & discovered that the dealer had pumped all tires to 45 PSI. Now, imprinted on the Yokohama*Geolandar G91F tires sidewall is that the max pressure to set the tire bead is 40 PSI. The Forester manual indicates that the front tires should be 30 PSI. I called the Subaru dealer & was told that at this time of year, they set new car tires at 45 PSI because in cold weather tire pressure decreases & they do not want their customers to have under-inflated tires. I decided to decrease all tires to 33 PSI for now - 45 PSI is way too high, right?.

Am I missing something here? The dealers explanation makes no sense. Yes, the tires will lose pressure in cold weather but only about 4-5 PSI, not 15 PSI.

Comments anyone?
goshenSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited

You should measure your tire pressure after you've been driving for a while and ensure that, when the tires are warmed up, you're not surpassing the max tire pressure, and at that temp you're at your recommended pressure. If you're at 45 PSI cold, they've WAY over-inflated your tires because after they warm up that number is going to go up!
Schrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Ltd.
Gallery: 15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

They are all doing this. I had the same issue and drove on them several weeks before checking.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contributor
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester - Limited
Gallery: 16

They come from the factory overinflated to prevent flat spots developing during transport. The dealer is suppose to reduce the pressure to factory specs when they receive the vehicle. They failed to do this. My dealer did too. But then to give you a line of bull as an excuse is shameful.

Check the air pressure when the tires are cold. Set them to factory specs. You may need to add a few pounds in winter and remove a few pounds in the summer but to get a proper reading you need to check them when they're cold (like in the morning after the vehicle has sat all night).

While you're at it, check to make sure your dealer installed the sill plugs like they were suppose to too. https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...l2RZb-JUUNYKgg

Last edited by RayB; 11-21-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added link
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5iPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgMobile View Post
They are all doing this. I had the same issue and drove on them several weeks before checking.
Not all of them. Mine were about 10% over the Subaru recommended pressures.
GMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: 2 Outbacks
Transmission: 1Man , 1 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshenSubaru View Post

Now, imprinted on the Yokohama*Geolandar G91F tires sidewall is that the max pressure to set the tire bead is 40 PSI. The Forester manual indicates that the front tires should be 30 PSI. I called the Subaru dealer & was told that at this time of year, they set new car tires at 45 PSI because in cold weather tire pressure decreases & they do not want their customers to have under-inflated tires. I decided to decrease all tires to 33 PSI for now - 45 PSI is way too high, right?.

Am I missing something here? The dealers explanation makes no sense. Yes, the tires will lose pressure in cold weather but only about 4-5 PSI, not 15 PSI.

Comments anyone?
The marking on the tyre stating setting the tyre bead to max of 40 psi is only relevant when mounting the tyre on the rim . Saves damaging the tyre if it is not located on the rim correctly . This is not the maximum pressure the tyre can take once it has been properly mounted on the rim .
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech