Best tires for wife and safety - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2004
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Best tires for wife and safety

Hello All

The stock Yokohama's that came with our 2004 Forester are finally wearing down at 65k! I realize these are not the best handling tires, but the tread life is absurd. My wife drives this car and I want to get her very good, safe and reliable tires. So, speed rating and all that is not critical. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Wow if you got 65k miles out of a set of geo's then just about ANY tire will work.

A good budget all around tire is the general altimax HP. For better all year traction at a higher price is the goodyear tripletred.

For gas mileage the enVigor and the michelin mxv4 get good reviews.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Michelins are good, and I've had BF Goodrich on mine as well. They were much better than the Geolanders (which is what I'm running now). The BF Goodrich tires lasted quite a long time given my mis-alignment and cornering habits (not to mention being tortured off-road).
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT

I bought 3 sets of Goodyear TripleTreds, for our 2002, 2004 and 2006 Foresters. Excellent in dry, wet and snow. Will put them on my ordered 2010 when the OEM tires have too little tread for Western NY winters.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)

You didn't mention your location...makes a difference. Snow???
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. We are in Philly and up until this year, I would have had snow wasn't much of a deal, but holy cow, this past year was insane. Believe it or not, even with 65k, even the guy at the dealer is saying we have tread left, but why wait for something to happen?

So, yes, snow is a concern and I just want a nice safe reliable tire for my wife. Obviously, she is an easy going driver who takes it easy on her tires! I'm not made of money, but for this I would spend more.

Can I ask another dumb question. Last year there was all that news about tire manufacture dates and dealers selling tires that had essentially been on the shelf for years. Is this something to be concerned about?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X Premiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke View Post

Can I ask another dumb question. Last year there was all that news about tire manufacture dates and dealers selling tires that had essentially been on the shelf for years. Is this something to be concerned about?
Not a dumb question. I just tell them (I usually buy tires locally) that I want new tires, and that they should let me know the date code. I can double check it if I need to, but that pretty much lets them know that it's not a good idea to pass off old inventory on me.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT

I personally (and as an engineer) don't get excited about "old" tires -- most of the 18 wheelers are running on recaps with casings that have seen many years, and many miles. Rubber roofs last 20-30 years with severe sun and weather exposure.

But if you buy from a high volume discounter like Tire Rack, it's a moot point -- they move a lot of tires, and few are in stock for long. They also had the best price, and my Subaru Dealer was an authorized drop-ship-and-install site for them at a reasonable rate.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

There's been lots and lots of discussion about this here, and you might find some useful info by wandering around the place. There are lots of opinions.

Best recommendation is to check the ratings at Tirerack in the categories that are the most important to you. Then drill down into the raters' comments and see if there are any that are especially significant to your situation.

I went with Continental Extreme Contacts due to their good all-around rating and their high (for an all-season tire) rating for snow. Although I do have dedicated snows, you never know when the first or last storm of the season is going to happen! This year the (hopefully!) last storm happened a month or more after I had taken off my snows. It dumped a foot up in the northern part of NH, and within a week we had tied an all-time high temperature for the day.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

I really like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. They have amazing grip in wet or dry, and very good snow traction for an all-season tire. They tend to thump a little loudly over bumps, and seem to want higher pressure to keep them properly inflated, but if safety is your #1 concern, then they are excellent tires. They are also on the pricey side, but IMO tires are one thing that you don't want to be cheap about.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke View Post
Thanks everyone. We are in Philly and up until this year, I would have had snow wasn't much of a deal, but holy cow, this past year was insane. Believe it or not, even with 65k, even the guy at the dealer is saying we have tread left, but why wait for something to happen?

So, yes, snow is a concern and I just want a nice safe reliable tire for my wife. Obviously, she is an easy going driver who takes it easy on her tires! I'm not made of money, but for this I would spend more.

In NJ I loved the contiextremecontacts. But they may be more performance oriented than you want, however they're probably the best all season tire for snow use (aside from the nokian tires). and they're not too costly

My friend just put the altimax HP on his 06 forester, and I put a set on our prius, and they're quiet good all around. Very impressed with them so far and for the money you can't go wrong! They also seem to get good snow ratings, and they look cool too!

If you're willing to spend a little more the goodyear tripletred is one of my favorite tires for a non performance oriented driver. I'd call them the "perfect minivan tire" as they perform great on a family vehicle if gas mileage isn't your major concern.

Which factors are most important to you? Tread life, noise, ride quality, traction, gas mileage, snow traction, turn-in/handling etc seem to be the main factors that you have to balance in your price range. Usually if you go cheaper you sacrifice noise and tread life, I like trying different tires so I prefer to spend less on a tire thats going to last 30-40k (about a year or two for me) rather than more on one thats going to last 60-80k.

I've been really happy with continental/general's offerings in the all season high and ultra high performance varieties. I've never been particularly impressed with the big names for how much they cost.

Also definitely visit tirerack to do research, its probably one of the best resources even if you don't end up buying from them (I usually go with either tirerack or discount tire direct), I NEVER buy tires at the local places, but I do goto them for balancing/mounting (they just have no way of keeping the inventory that the big guys have but they're usually the best for service, I really don't like most of the big chain tire shops like ETD or firestone, never had a good experience)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 79 reviews

I think the next set of tires I'm putting on my wife's Forester will be Goodyear tripletreads. I put some on my inlaws 03 Forester and they love them. Quiet, awesome in the rain, handle slush and light snow no problem and the dry traction is very good too. They are a great all around tire.
sea-scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

FYI, I know it has been a while, but you were all very helpful. I ordered Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's today from Tire Rack. I think if I had bought any of the tires you all recommended it would have been a huge upgrade over the OEM's we still have at 65,000. I suppose my wife has never known how well her car can drive.

Speaking of which, my wife is more sensible, while I seem to be the one wanting to spend the money. I have been looking for an excuse to buy her a new car (probably Forester again), but the 2004 Forester is running perfectly and is very safe. Needing the 60k service, brakes and new tires was a lame opportunity for me to say "Well, we might as well buy a new car." Of course, all three add up to three out of 48 car payments, so that is a little absurd. We'll see in another year. I'm sure the car will be running fine, but still give us a good trade in.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)

If safety is an issue then getting new tires every 35K or so is the most bang for the buck. Any tire at 65 k will be more prone to flats, not stop as well or handle as safely. As far as needing a new car..Subaru is just hitting its stride at 65K miles.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech