LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best all-season tires.

I just bought a 2016 Forester 2.0XT Premium, which has 18 inch wheels. I want an all-season tire that does better on snow and ice than the stock tires.

Where I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico (near Farmington) usually doesn't get huge amounts of snow. It'll usually snow an inch or two, and it's usually gone by noon the next day. I might get one bad snow a year, two bad snows at the most.

So I really don't need a snow tire.

I do live 20 miles from Colorado, and do go there a lot (Durango/Silverton, etc.). And do encounter more snow than here. So I'm wanting an all-season tire with better snow performance than the stock tires.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Xt premium
Transmission: HTCVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford View Post
I just bought a 2016 Forester 2.0XT Premium, which has 18 inch wheels. I want an all-season tire that does better on snow and ice than the stock tires.

Where I live in the Four Corners area of New Mexico (near Farmington) usually doesn't get huge amounts of snow. It'll usually snow an inch or two, and it's usually gone by noon the next day. I might get one bad snow a year, two bad snows at the most.

So I really don't need a snow tire.

I do live 20 miles from Colorado, and do go there a lot (Durango/Silverton, etc.). And do encounter more snow than here. So I'm wanting an all-season tire with better snow performance than the stock tires.

Thanks.
What's the Best All-Season Tire for Ice and Snow? - Turk | Tire Rack

I'm looking at the Goodyear eagle sport all season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=179

pt37
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Looks like the Michelin Premier received a good snow rating and good all-around ratings:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.....0XT%20Touring

However, these look interesting too. They have good snow/ice ratings as well (although not quite as good as the Michelins), and have the added benefit of being an all-terrain tire:

Thanks for the link, It really helped a lot.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Foz
The top one listed in the first link. I've heard good things about them on several forums.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&affiliate=EB8
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneefy View Post
The top one listed in the first link. I've heard good things about them on several forums.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&affiliate=EB8
Tire Rack shows the Continental as sitting right in between the Michelin Premium and the Yokohama Geolander AT-S in snow and ice performance. But Tire Rack doesn't show it in my size.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
However, these look interesting too. They have good snow/ice ratings as well (although not quite as good as the Michelins), and have the added benefit of being an all-terrain tire:

Thanks for the link, It really helped a lot.
I have the Geolandar ATS and have been very happy with them. One complaint would be that they are sensitive to tire pressure and will wear out quickly if overinflated. Keep an eye on the tire pressure and you should be fine.
Halford likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
I have the Geolandar ATS and have been very happy with them. One complaint would be that they are sensitive to tire pressure and will wear out quickly if overinflated. Keep an eye on the tire pressure and you should be fine.
Sounds like an excellent choice. Now I gotta decide if I want an all-terrain tire.

Prior to the Forester, I had a 2008 Toyota Highlander all wheel drive. It had Falken Rocky Mountain all-terrains on them. But being that I didn't really take it off road, I swapped to Michelin all-seasons (I don't recall the exact name) and got a quieter tire that did better on the road, including snow.

But since the Forester is a bit more off-road capable, I might just go with an all-terrain tire,as long as it doesn't sacrifice road performance.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
I'm a big fan of the Michelin XIce X3 tires but they are meant for winter use only. I wanted something better than traditional all-season tires but not have to fret over when to swap out so I decided to go with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. They can be driven year round but I will use them as my winter set. So far I really like them. It's been raining quite a bit here and I feel like I'm glued to the road vs others I've seen hydroplaning on the freeway. Plan on making a trip down to Crater Lake in January so I can try them out in the snow.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...s/nokian-wrg3/
Celery gt-5 likes this.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I'm doing.

Last edited by Hacksaw; 12-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I'm a big fan of the Michelin XIce X3 tires but they are meant for winter use only. I wanted something better than traditional all-season tires but not have to fret over when to swap out so I decided to go with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. They can be driven year round but I will use them as my winter set. So far I really like them. It's been raining quite a bit here and I feel like I'm glued to the road vs others I've seen hydroplaning on the freeway. Plan on making a trip down to Crater Lake in January so I can try them out in the snow.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...s/nokian-wrg3/
That looks like an excellent tire. Unfortunately, the Nokian website dealer locator shows the closest dealer to be in Albuquerque, 180 miles from me. I'd prefer a local dealer.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
That looks like an excellent tire. Unfortunately, the Nokian website dealer locator shows the closest dealer to be in Albuquerque, 180 miles from me. I'd prefer a local dealer.
Have you tried Tire Rack? They may have a more local dealer that they can ship to.

post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Have you tried Tire Rack? They may have a more local dealer that they can ship to.
I looked at the brands on the Tire Rack site, and they didn't list Nokian as a brand they carry.
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
I looked at the brands on the Tire Rack site, and they didn't list Nokian as a brand they carry.
Damm! Sorry about that. My bad....

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
There's a tire the European guys have talked about ... Michelin CrossClimate (or something similar) that's supposedly really good. But I don't think it's available in the US yet. You might want to look into that one though and see if and when it will be sold here.
Halford likes this.
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There's a tire the European guys have talked about ... Michelin CrossClimate (or something similar) that's supposedly really good. But I don't think it's available in the US yet. You might want to look into that one though and see if and when it will be sold here.
Communicated with Michelin N.A. about the CrossClimate tire and was informed that it will not be available in North America. Too bad. Went with the Nokian WRG3 SUV. Should have them mounted this week, just in time for our recently arrived snow. Will be running them all year, which is their intended use.
Halford likes this.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Communicated with Michelin N.A. about the CrossClimate tire and was informed that it will not be available in North America. Too bad. Went with the Nokian WRG3 SUV. Should have them mounted this week, just in time for our recently arrived snow. Will be running them all year, which is their intended use.
Now if I can just find a dealer in my area that can order them for me. I don't know if they'll do that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode