User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: X - A/T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Anyone heard of Ironman tires?

My 03 X that I just bought came from a dealer with mismatched front & rear tires, & I didn't notice until after the sale.

Apparently dealer put new ones on the front only Don't know why 7 can;t get any good answers out of them on that, go figure...

Anyway, I bugged them enough to put another 2 new ones on the back free of charge, which is pretty cool. But I've never heard of the brand: Ironman. Model: Imax

They say China, I've never heard of them, and can't really find anything on them online besides an ebay listing and some out of the way websites that I'd never buy anything from. My inclination is that they're junk and to go trade them in for a more trusted brand. I don't believe in compromising on parts, especially tires, brakes & others that could directly cause a wreck. Driving is dangerous enough...

Anybody have experience or even ever hear of this brand?

Gabe
2003 X | A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5x
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-G View Post
My inclination is that they're junk and to go trade them in for a more trusted brand.
Go with your first inclination just to be safe.

2003 X 4EAT 49k Sierra Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5X Limited 4EAT
I think they're promo tires for the new movie. Do they say Stark Industries on the side?

Kidding!

Everyday I'm hustlin....

2009 n/a Foz w/MXV4s

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X PZEV
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HerculesTires.com 2010-catalog listed Ironman iMax (link to their PDF catalog)

Direct Buy Tire (based in Alameda, California) sells Ironman iMax 215/60R16 95V for $59.99 new (Hercules Part# 65035, suggested retail price is $153)

Must watch the Ironman movie at the IMAX theatre

'98Mirage04Mazda308ForesterX15OdysseyEXL15Priusc3

Last edited by FORATTLES; 04-06-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added store that actually sell this tire
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't run away too fast. Over the past 10 years I have been presently surprised by the quality and performance of some Chinese made tires. In the early 2000s I tried a set Chinese manufactured motorcycle tires based just on the price(I was flat broke at the time).

The set of Avon tires I wanted would have run me about $275. The set of Duro tires, $50 rear $30 front, $80 for the set. I figured they can't be as bad as Cheng Shin tires. They handled as good as the Avon performance tires and actually wore more even. Now I have a bunch of close friends running the same Chinese tires and no one has had any complaints about them.

As for being able to give a review of the Ironman Imax I can't. I can say I have a neighbor running a set of Hercules Terra Trac tires on his '94 K1500, which I believe are made by the same company. I think he has had them for around a year now, maybe a little longer. I can't say I have heard him complain about them when I have asked him about them. His description of them was "there black, there round, nothing special".

In all reality you are getting a set of free tires, you may as well run them for a few thousand miles and see what you get. I would imagine if the tires were really garbage the dealer would not carry them as they would get tired of the complaints and the lost labor dollars paying techs to replace bad tires.

08 X Prem 5mt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Yeah flstffxe, that's how I've been thinking as the initial "*** kind of tires are these?" thoughts have worked through. It was a bit better to see an actual company (Hercules) behind them, too. Thanks for posting that FORATTLES.

I'll probably try some more to find some reviews of them, maybe ask some tire shops about them, and run them for a bit.

I had some Cheng Shins on my KLR650 and they were actually pretty good tires...

Gabe
2003 X | A/T
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 0307
Car Model: Forester
Just to add thats correct hercules makes those, and hercules is an off brand cooper tire. I ran a set on one of my foresters pretty good tire they have silica compound in the tread, so the wet and snow handling are pretty good, they are also an asymmetrical tread design. The ones I had were v rated so the ride was nice but the milage i got out of them were not the greatest
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: AT
Thumbs up iMOVE Tires from Ironman

I have a set of iMove Ironman tires on my Subie and until something happens to change my mind, I really like them. They have a great ride and are quieter than the Yokohamas that came when new. They match the size specs and have a little better load rating. But, proof's in the pudding, huh.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I'll check back in a report on my Ironman IMAX tires: after about 20,000 miles they are wearing quite well. They have quite a bit of tread left. I'd estimate I'll get at least another 25k-30k out of them at this rate, and I have no complaints about the handing.

They're tires and they work fine. I don't do a whole lot in my Foz besides around town and some highway driving, maybe the occasional dirt road and the rare rain we get here in the desert.

They've done just fine in all of those conditions.

Gabe
2003 X | A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode