Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone have '07 WRX rims on their Forester?

19K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Smooth 
#1 ·
I think the 2007 WRX rims look really nice (reminiscent of the Forester STi rims) and may look good on the Forester.

Anyone have this on yours? If so, can you put up a pic?

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Nice thread Sea-Scooby!

So in researching a bit, if a rim has a higher offset than stock (my 08 has +48) I am okay with my stock brakes/calipers.

As far as weight goes, Sea-Scooby's thread says that my 08 FXT rims weigh 24.5lbs. Do the 2007 WRX rims weigh more than that? And I take it that more rotating weight is worse for performance...

#6 ·
You'll have no problems with brake fitment. You might have problems with rubbing on the rear strut towers if you go to a wider tire.

I think the weight is around 21 lbs, so they're lighter than what you've got, but heavier than most aftermarket 17s. And yes, lighter is better in terms of performance.

#11 · (Edited)
Oh nuts..

So I found a set of the WRX rims with decent rubber for $450... OR I could get the 04 STI BBS (silver) without rubber.. $1000 OBO... girl says the WRX rims look like windmills and BBS looks decent... what to do!!?! WRX or STI BBS? must decide soon!!

damn i don't want to spend a lot of money on wheel gap eliminators..

THe 55 offset isn't bad, considering we can fit 4 pots.

BUT not going 225 on Swifts (1.5" drop) without rubbing concerns kind of sucks...

#12 ·
Oh nuts..

So I found a set of the WRX rims with decent rubber for $450... OR I could get the 04 STI BBS (silver) without rubber.. $1000 OBO... girl says the WRX rims look like windmills and BBS looks decent... what to do!!?! WRX or STI BBS? must decide soon!!

damn i don't want to spend a lot of money on wheel gap eliminators..

THe 55 offset isn't bad, considering we can fit 4 pots.

BUT not going 225 on Swifts (1.5" drop) without rubbing concerns kind of sucks...
Sorry, so are you saying by going with 225/55/17 +55 offset with Swifts will have rubbing issues?

#16 ·
06-07 WRX wheels w/ 225/55 no spacers

Here's mine with the 225/55's and no spacers but I'm at stock height. It's tight as noted elsewhere. I was told by the tire shop that my 3mm spacers wouldn't go on there and give me any room to tighten the lug nuts. I plan to experiment with this myself next week because I have 10 turns on the lugs as it is so maybe?).

Bill

Attachments

#17 ·
MB Speed

There is a new wheel in the "less expensive" world of wheels which looks a bit like all of these. It can be seen at the Discount Tire sites, called the MB Speed. I don't know much about MB wheels but someone on here says they are popular in Japan with a different name (?). Like Smooth206 I got my WRX at a good price so stopped looking elsewhere.

Bill

#19 ·
There is a new wheel in the "less expensive" world of wheels which looks a bit like all of these. It can be seen at the Discount Tire sites, called the MB Speed. I don't know much about MB wheels but someone on here says they are popular in Japan with a different name (?). Like Smooth206 I got my WRX at a good price so stopped looking elsewhere.

Bill
Those are made by A-Tech: FINAL SPEED FAVOR-IX

My 215s clear without issue but I do think I'd have to run spacers in the rear if I went up to a 225. Bill, I'll be interested to see if you have a second opinion on the 3mm spacers working safely.
- Andy

#20 ·
Nice to see you guys running the rims. I backed out on my deal because I didn't want to spend the time looking for another set of rubber and I don't have an spare 17 rubber lying around. Girl didn't like them anyway... says the stock 16 XS rims look better. Oh well, money saved I guess

#21 · (Edited)
question about spacers on 06-07 WRX wheels

To smooth906 especially - I had two difficult weeks at work just after promising to pull a wheel or two and check spacers on these WRX rims. Now I'm visiting in-laws. I will get to it when I get back. It's an interesting question for us but also with regard to any wheels as I haven't seen a soul ask about/comment on wheel thickness at the hub. I should be able to get us an answer as I still have the spacers. Of course, an alternative could be ichiba 5 or 10 mm spacers which come with the extended lugs. But then we're talking purchase $ and labor by someone, etc. I've read Peaty here or someone on that and it didn't seem like my cup of tea. From memory: "Well, the first one took all day Saturday, but I think the others will go faster..." Ugh.:icon_frown: Nope, that's not me.
Bill

#22 ·
To smooth906 especially - I had two difficult weeks at work just after promising to pull a wheel or two and check spacers on these WRX rims. Now I'm visiting in-laws. I will get to it when I get back. It's an interesting question for us but also with regard to any wheels as I haven't seen a sould ask about wheel thickness at the hub. I should be able to get us an answer as I still have the spacers. Of course, an alternative could be ichiba 5 or 10 mm spacers which come with the extended lugs. But then we're talking purchase $ and labor by someone, etc. I've read Peaty here or someone on that and it didn't seem like my cup of tea. From memory: "Well, the first one took all day Saturday, but I think the others will go faster..." Ugh.:icon_frown: Nope, that's not me.
Bill
Thanks Bill, I'll keep an eye on this thread. I agree, I'd rather not swap out the lugs.

#24 ·
3mm spacers with 06 WRX wheels

Clarification: tonight I checked the 3mm spacers with these wheels and they did fine. I got seven (7) full turns on the lugs, seemed like plenty of thread. Just eyeballing the lugs before mounting the nuts and it looked like a lot, too. Maybe 10mm anyway. Not sure what the kid in the shop was talking about. I'll have to go by and ask the boss there.

This gives me breathing room on the rear towers now.

Bill

#28 ·
I've posted this elsewhere but this is the best side shot I have.
I agree with illmannered that in terms of looks these are probably still my favorite widely available cheap OEM rims. They pretty much look like they could be stock, and they look great on a Forester. For an easy cosmetic upgrade or a winter set I think they are ideal. Like most OEM rims they are relatively narrow and heavy, but then again they usually cost about $300. :biggrin:

#37 ·
Here's mine with the 225/55's and no spacers but I'm at stock height. It's tight as noted elsewhere. I was told by the tire shop that my 3mm spacers wouldn't go on there and give me any room to tighten the lug nuts. I plan to experiment with this myself next week because I have 10 turns on the lugs as it is so maybe?).

Bill
Smooth - can you tell me what tire size you went with for these '07 WRX wheels?

Seems like 225/55s worked for Bill at stock height, but I'm lowering my Foz an inch and am not sure the 225/55s will rub in the back? Your Foz looks lowered?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.