('14+) All Weather - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: forester
Transmission: cvt
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default All Weather

Looking To replace The Tires On My 14 2.5 Forester,I Am Looking For Input On Tires I Can Use All Year,I Don't Drive The Forester Much In Summer,Mostly Would Be Spring,Fall & Winter.I Have Another Summer car.
bchickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

What kind of snow and other winter-weather capabilities are you looking for? i.e. what would be your priorities in terms of ice, snow, wet, and dry?

What's your average mileage (kilometerage?) for the three seasons?

Is there are part or parts of those three seasons during which you use the car more/most?

Are there any legal considerations in terms of mandated winter tires or tire studs?
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester
Transmission: cvt
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here we get it all,snow,ice,wet we can use studs between nov. till march,
I am looking to get something that would be decent in snow,and ice,hopefully with good tread life,I will drive about 30 k per year
bchickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Transmission: High Torque CVT
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

According to Consumer Reports:

The 2 top rated All Season tires are, in order, Michelin Defender and Continental ProContact EcoPlus.

The 2 top rated Performance All Season tires are, Michelin Primacy and Continental PureContact.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchickness View Post
Here we get it all,snow,ice,wet we can use studs between nov. till march,
I am looking to get something that would be decent in snow,and ice,hopefully with good tread life,I will drive about 30 k per year
With studs, you'll get what would likely be the ultimate in terms of ice traction, given your typical winter conditions (I looked up what your typical winters are like: Weather in Nova Scotia | Nova Scotia Temperature) - usually, "Studless Ice & Snow" sub-genre "winter tires" do not come into their own until the temperature has dipped even lower (REF: Winter Rubber! 09+ Owners check in!).

Noise from the studs is truly your only real worry, given modern tire technology. Properly installed studs on modern tires will not eject even at highway speeds, and there is no longer the old concern of "you'll kill yourself in the rain with studded tires," which is a modern myth that's been proven false by Russian and Scandinavian winter tire tests of the past decade.

That said, is November to March a good time for you to run with studs? The main concern here is short-notice adverse weather events during the transition months...if given a day's notice, are you able to effect a tire change that will keep you safe (regardless of the local laws: i.e. I doubt that anyone is going to cite you for improper equipment if the whole town is dealing with a late-April snowstorm)?

That said, the truth of the matter is that as long as there is no wintry precipitation on the roadway, your summer tires will serve you just fine even as temperatures start to go down towards freezing. For most of us, however, we're not going to be willing to gamble with the possibility of encountering an unlikely patch of ice during those transition seasons or a sudden sprinkling of snow on the roadways catching us out, so we'll usually switch tires a little earlier than actually necessary in the fall, and perhaps a little later than necessary in the spring.

And that brings us into your concern of the fall and spring seasons. During these transition months, it's not only unseasonal wintry precipitation that we need to worry about, we also need to worry about unseasonably warm temperatures. Under such conditions, the safety considerations under which you've ostensibly purchased a set of dedicated winter tires are reversed - as you start aggressively winterizing the tire, that tire will start to backslide in terms of its clear-road and, even more concerning, wet-road performance.

Further complicating your picture is your mileage traveled. 30,000 kilometers (or is that 30,000 miles?) per year, nearly 20K miles, is going to do a number on most winter tires, particularly if you used them for a lot of driving in the warmer parts of the transition seasons - safety (in terms of wet and dry performance) aside (and that's a big aside, BTW, look at the data in this 2009 Car & Driver comparison of four Michelin tires: 2009 Winter Tire Test - Comparison Tests) - they're going to see a lot of tread wear. That tread-wear will translate both to decreased snow/slush-moving capability as well as, perhaps as an even more concerning double-bogy, further and even more drastic decreases in wet-road capabilities.

In your shoes, I'd look for the ability to quickly transition tires based on short-term weather reports - meaning that you'll want to maintain a set of rim-and-tire combos in the corner of your garage, to swap-out with your summer set, at the first hint of seeing wintry precipitation on your roadways. Given summer tires will not have any problems even as temperatures approach freezing, as long as the roads are clear of precipitation, you should be fine, there.

As to what winter tires to look for, I'd likely be looking at either "Performance Winter" tires or even "Studless Ice & Snow" tires. These will allow you to be able to use this set of tires even outside the November to March restricted period for studded tires, which will give you better leeway in terms of the above switch-over point as based on unseasonal weather.

Whether you choose "Performance Winters" or the "Studless Ice & Snow" tires will then depend on your personal bias of what type of performance and safety-envelop best fits your personal needs. Additionally, it is possible to run traditional studded winter tires without studs. While such use would obviously take away the tire's capabilities on hardpack snow and on icy surfaces, such tires typically are of a more resilient compound than the "Studless Ice & Snow" tires, and will likely last longer in terms of mileage, which is a concern for you.

Overall, despite your desire to run your alternate set of tires as a "three-seasons" tire, I would not recommend "All-Season" or "All-Weather" tires as by your mileage, you will eat up tread depth in a rapid manner, which would likely make your second winter a much different driving experience than your first, with those tires in place.
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 6 speed
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nokian WR G2!!! I Have had them on fwd Volvos and VWs and nerver had a problem, even in BLIZZARD last year on my 2011 Legacy. The road were closed but I was still ablr to drive in it. Can't wait till I get some on my 2014 Forester prem, 6spd.
Noodles14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have had Firestone's Destination LE2's on my 4Runner. I plan on getting them for the Forester when the OEM's are done. This is listed at Tirerack under 'SUV Highway all season' tire. It comes in the '14's 2.5i's size (not the XT). Take a look at the reviews, it's one of the best in winter conditions. Not sure if it's studdable in your area. I've had them for 5 years and love them (better than the Michelin's I had previously) and the price is reasonable.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would consider an offroad or snow tire. Since you'll be using this during time when the temp will/can dip below freezing and you will experience ice, mud, & snow I'd just get a good snow or knobby offroad tire and call it good. I just ordered some 215 65 17 General Altimax Artic that I plan to mount on some 4th Gen Legacy GT wheels for my wife's XT this winter. Discount tire was having a sale this weekend :)
soloz2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Tire and Wheel Tech