Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

16 TPMS light on no pressure issue

('14-'18) 
10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tiedie 
#1 ·
Here's the scoop, wife called the other day my TPMS light is on. Me did you look at tires to see if any were flat? Wife yes tires are ok. Come on home and I will check pressure. We went from 70 degrees to 26 degrees. Figured it had to do with the sudden drop in temp. Brought pressure up to my standard 32 psi. light flashes and the stays on. Stopped by the dealer today, we can't take a look at it today we are only open till 1300. You will need to make an appointment ao we can look at it. Wow!! This dealer is sealing their fate with us quick. Took to my Firestone complete auto care they were very busy guy comes out checks pressure 32 psi. all the way around, plugs in says I'm not getting anything.

So my big question is has anyone had this problem?

#2 ·
Not sure this would apply to your case or not but my wifes CRV TPMS will till turn on when the temp outside gets to -20 F or lower. I always assumed the batteries got so cold they wouldn't report. I did the same thing you did checked the pressure and it would always be good, so now when its cold I tell her as long as the tires arent flat to just ignore the light. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe one or more of your batteries could be bad. My forester is only a week old so I don't know specificly about them.

Mike

#5 ·
Try driving it for at least 10 miles (in 1 drive cycle)

If that doesnt reset it, you may have a dead battery in one of the TPMS sensors.. or some other issue.

There is no sensor in the spare tire.. The subaru system is not very good.
you can only have 4 sensors registered which is fail if you like you use winter wheels and tires.. and they dont give you a pressure measurement etc.

Other systems, I'll use jeep as an example
are self learning or allow more than 4 sensors... and display tire pressure.

#7 · (Edited)
Fixed I hope we went to dealer 2 Saturday's ago to see what the deal was. Dealer said we don't have time to see what's going on we only work till 1300 on Sat. went to Firestone Complete auto care in town guy's told us sensors are all fine but module might be bad. Next week wife calls the other Dealer 1 hour from our home sets up appointment for the next Saturday 3/11/17. We show up car goes back they tell us control module is bad looks like water got in around the seal on top of hatch and followed wires down. They reseat seal schedule appointment for today. All seems well to wife. Looking into what SuBooneru did to his plastic bag or zip tie to make sure water doesn't get to it again. Oh yea they did it under warranty. There's more to this story but not pertaining to this problem.
Forgot we now have a new dealer.

#8 ·
FWIW I have 2 foresters 14 and 15 that light the TPMS warning when it gets cold. I add a few pounds of air in Winter. Last check was 31psi 19*F.
I also found the TPMS light goes off after several miles driving. I see you had other issues. Hope your new dealer is better. I would have done the same...

#11 · (Edited)
:Banane35:
You are correct about suggested tire pressure. 30 psi. front for extra weight of engine and such and 29 psi. in rear not so much weight. TPMS control module was bad this happens. I run 32 psi. tires wearing evenly across tread depth, if we are getting some snow I might leave it alone at a lower pressure :icon_biggrin: we think alike. Rubber and alloy tend to leak out air it's just how it is. I've even seen where steel wheels will hold pressure longer and better than alloy. Remember the Ford and Firestone fiasco Ford put lower suggested pressure on the Exploder for a softer ride then blamed firestone when people wouldn't check the tire pressure and wreck:mob:. And this boys and girls is how we got TPMS in every vehicle consumers buy after a certain year.
Thanks for reminding me going out to check pressure right now.:nerd:

All good 32 psi. all round in Forester and 35 psi. all round in Tacoma.>:)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.