Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

HELP NEEDED - Dallas area. Willing to pay for help removing drive shaft.

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  traveye 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

TL;DR version: I'm looking for someone who's got tools/knowledge and is willing to give me a hand. Preferably someone with experience removing drive shafts. Willing to pay.

So, in the process of replacing my (2004) passenger lower front ball joint (for the second time:censored:), I managed to pull the CV joint apart (also for the second time).
Except this time I broke the CV joint.
I'm going to have AWDTuning rebuild the drive shaft (or maybe replace it), but I've gotta get it out of the d*** car first, and I just don't have the tools to make that happen.
The axle nut is frozen to the threads, and I can't get it off for the life of me. So I gave up and tried to just pull the whole d*** thing off at the point where it's attached to the strut.
And promptly split my father's (inherited) Snap-on socket in half. :censored:
I don't think any of these bolts have ever been loosened. I don't own an impact, so my options are super limited at this point.

Basically, I'm looking for someone who's got the necessary tools/experience, and who'd be willing/able to come give me a hand on the weekend or one afternoon during the week. I'm not totally helpless, I'm just a little out of my depth right now.

At this point I'm willing to offer $150 plus a case of beer of your choice :Banane35: If it proves to be a real pain in the a**, I'll throw in some more cash in proportion to the amount of swearing that it causes.

Thanks in advance (I hope)!
-Travis

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE: Ended up hiring a local "come-to you" mechanic to get me out of this jam.
"A - Mobile Auto Repair" was awesome. I think it's a one-man show. He had the axle out, the cv joint repacked, axle reinstalled, the ball joint (my nemesis) installed, and everything back together in maybe an hour and a half.
Made me feel like fool by comparison, haha.
For what he did, and how much he saved me by keeping me from having to have it towed, I think his $250 rate was super reasonable.
Though it's a bit more than I would have paid a shop to just do the ball joint from the start, haha. So that kinda sucks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.