Tokico's? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Tokico's?

I plan on lowering my xt but Im not sure what strut and spring setup to go with. I just came from an 08 wrx with the full race car treatment and I want to simplify the setup in the xt. I was thinking about doing the Tokico blues for a set it and forget it setup but then again the the d specs look nice too. any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
08vtwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 1967
Car Model: VW Beetle on E85
Transmission: 4MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

What year Forester, I assume '04-'08?

Tokico blues suck. I'm not even sure they are available for the Impreza, but if they are not, it would be a good thing. There are Impreza-fitment D-specs available, you'd have to pair them up with Impreza-fitment springs. Otherwise, if you want Forester-specific stuff, you are limited to OEM replacement and KYB GR2 struts.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_t View Post
What year Forester, I assume '04-'08?

Tokico blues suck. I'm not even sure they are available for the Impreza, but if they are not, it would be a good thing. There are Impreza-fitment D-specs available, you'd have to pair them up with Impreza-fitment springs. Otherwise, if you want Forester-specific stuff, you are limited to OEM replacement and KYB GR2 struts.

Stan
Im gonna use impreza wagon specific struts and springs. I have heard that the d-specs require a saggy butt spacer?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

and yes i have an 08 lol
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

What you heard is wrong. There are threads on suspension options.

In short, if you are looking to use Impreza-fitment suspension, it's best to use sedan struts with wagon springs. Saggy butt will come from using most sedan-fitment springs. When using Impreza lowering springs, Forester gets dumped pretty low alot of times, so you have to do your homework before picking springs. If you were to go with d-specs, some springs that should work well with them are OEM STi, SPT Wagon pinks, Prodrive '05+ STi reds, RCE blacks.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Blues suck bad! In the Honda world, we cursed them. Still do. D-Specs/HTS are good though.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

I don't think I've heard of anyone using blues on an Impreza, there is a reason for that D-specs or Koni inserts in WRX struts are good options, AGXs will work too. Other than that, '04 STi OEM struts, or '04-'07 OEM WRX struts will bolt right up. Then, there are coilovers.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
What you heard is wrong. There are threads on suspension options.

In short, if you are looking to use Impreza-fitment suspension, it's best to use sedan struts with wagon springs. Saggy butt will come from using most sedan-fitment springs. When using Impreza lowering springs, Forester gets dumped pretty low alot of times, so you have to do your homework before picking springs. If you were to go with d-specs, some springs that should work well with them are OEM STi, SPT Wagon pinks, Prodrive '05+ STi reds, RCE blacks.

Stan
I have heard a lot of good about the Blacks and the Pinks. As of right now I have been leaning more towards the Blacks. If I go with the d-specs and RCE Blacks would you think it would be a rough ride? Im fine with a stiff setup I just dont want to loose my fillings every time I drive lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think I've heard of anyone using blues on an Impreza, there is a reason for that D-specs or Koni inserts in WRX struts are good options, AGXs will work too. Other than that, '04 STi OEM struts, or '04-'07 OEM WRX struts will bolt right up. Then, there are coilovers.

Stan
I had BC BR coilovers in my wrx and loved them! I had the wrx scaled and corner balanced and it was a very neutral handling car. I would get them again but I dont really auto x anymore and they where way to stiff for a daily driver. So struts and springs will do the trick for me as long as I can still retain that neutral handling feel
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

There is a member on there on D-specs RCE blacks, he autocrosses his FXT. Ride quality is subjective, what's stiff for one may be not stiff enough for someone else. Alot also depends on the quality of roads in your area and your choice of wheels/tires. Personally, I had RCE wagon springs on my car and they were too low and stiff for my daily driving needs, but our roads here are crappy.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
There is a member on there on D-specs RCE blacks, he autocrosses his FXT. Ride quality is subjective, what's stiff for one may be not stiff enough for someone else. Alot also depends on the quality of roads in your area and your choice of wheels/tires. Personally, I had RCE wagon springs on my car and they were too low and stiff for my daily driving needs, but our roads here are crappy.

Stan
On my wrx I had 18"x7.5" with 225 40 18 BFG KDW2 tires. Those where pretty stiff compared to the stock 45 series tire. I plan on getting 18x8 Rota Gravel wheels wrapped with 235 40 18 KDW2's. As of right now I have the stock 17" sti enkeis with the huge geolanders lol. I am also gonna do sways but I am more about getting this thing lowered first. Usually I will do tires first, then sways/endlinks, struts/springs, and lastly bushings and braces. I feel like I'm cutting corners in my process but the car will def handle better with a lower stance. As for the roads in VT.... They suck lol. My wrx with BC's really brought out how $hitty our "good" roads where lol. I got used to it and it didnt bother me that much after time. What really sucked was going on long road trips. I hated slowing down on the highway to drive over an over pass. Anyways back to the struts... I will have to utilize the factory tophats for now until I get group N ones or other after market ones or will the d-specs come with them?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Your stock tophats will work fine, I ran OEM tophats for a while and I'm running Group N fronts now -- either is fine. I'm using 225/45/18 tires on 17.8lbs 18x7.5" wheels and it's alright, but still feels pretty harsh on rough roads with people in the car. I want to run 17s with 50 profile tire for more comfort. 40 profile will be brutal IMO, especially on heavy wheels.

Again, all this is subjective so just take my info as-is -- just my opinion. Search around this forum to see what others are running. Right now I'm on WRX sedan struts with Koni inserts and OEM STi springs with 1/2" spacers in the back, Group N front tophats, 24mm front / 22mm rear sways.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Your stock tophats will work fine, I ran OEM tophats for a while and I'm running Group N fronts now -- either is fine. I'm using 225/45/18 tires on 17.8lbs 18x7.5" wheels and it's alright, but still feels pretty harsh on rough roads with people in the car. I want to run 17s with 50 profile tire for more comfort. 40 profile will be brutal IMO, especially on heavy wheels.

Again, all this is subjective so just take my info as-is -- just my opinion. Search around this forum to see what others are running. Right now I'm on WRX sedan struts with Koni inserts and OEM STi springs with 1/2" spacers in the back, Group N front tophats, 24mm front / 22mm rear sways.

Stan
For now I man put a 45 series tire on the 17's to save a few bucks. I have heard about the Konis but what do they look like and how do they work?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

I ran 225/50/17s in 17x7" Prodrive P7s (20lbs wheels) and it was comfier than now. Forester uses larger-profile tires compared to the WRX, with 50 profile you'd be closer to the OEM tire diameter. 45/17s will work too though.

Koni inserts go into original strut housings and feature a rebound adjustment. You can get a set for $628.00 at Tirerack right now, they are on sale for a couple more day. Some info on them here.

Stan
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Nice install that looks pretty slick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling