Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

STI steering rack installed, now wheel cocked to the right

('03-'05) 
7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  guroove 
#1 ·
I just got a brand new steering rack installed, and now my steering wheel is cocked to the right when I'm going straight. As I understand it, this can be fixed either by adjusting the tie rods, or by de-coupling where the steering column meets the rack.

The question is, which would be the better way to fix this? I'm inclined to think I should take it back to place I got it installed, and have them do it the second way, but I'm also thinking it might not be a bad idea to get an alignment, and have it adjusted by tweaking the tie rods.

The problem I have with fixing it at the tie rods is that if the rack is centered with the wheel cocked to the right, then my left turn radius would be bigger than my right turn radius. My left turn radius is the one that I am more concerned with, since that would be the direction u-turns are taken in.

How can I tell where the rack is centered, and does it really even matter?

#3 · (Edited)
Two step process... center the rack, then adjust the toe. I prefer to center the rack at the steering wheel, since it's easier to access, and I don't want to "stretch" that clamp at the steering joint again.

Check the steering wheel lock to the left, then to the right, they should be mirror opposites. For example, if it's 2 1/4 turns left to lock, it should be the exact same to the right. The STi rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock IIRC. When you check this, if there is a variance, remove the steering wheel and move it over a couple of teeth, then try this center check again. Once you get the lock to the left and right to be the same (mirror opposites), then your steering rack is centered. Once this is done, have the alignment place adjust your tie-rods. Keep in mind that on your way up there, your steering wheel may be off even more. :lol:

Safety pointers: when removing steering wheel, disconnect battery before removing airbag; once you loosen the 15mm bolt (the middle bolt), thread it on by hand so that as you pull the steering wheel off, you don't whack yourself in the face.

Good luck.

S

#6 ·
Id be pretty damn embarrassed if i sent a car home with a not centered steering wheel. i worked in an alignment shop for many years, and now work hand in hand with that same alignment shop now that ive ventered out on my own. You NEVER let a car leave that rack with out the steering wheel being straight. Id take it back and complain, maybe you'll get a free alignment out of the deal lol.

#7 ·
IIRC: the steering joint, the piece that connects the steering rack to the steering column, is "keyed" and can only go on 1 way. so it's not like you can just disconnect the lower portion from the rack (assuming it's centered) and rotate the steering wheel/column a bit to the left to center the wheel, and reconnect the steering joint.

if i remember correctly of course. it's been 1.5 years since i swapped in my sti rack.

but imo, you should NOT have to remove your steering wheel and reposition it on the steering column to recenter the wheel. whoever swapped in your steering rack...shouldn't be swapping in steering racks.

#9 ·
Oh ok, I just posted my last post before seeing this. So do you think this is more likely something that should be fixed at the tie rods?

FWIW, the shop in question does not list rack installations as one of their services. I just did not feel like doing it myself, as I don't have the time, or a good place to do it. They have good rates on services, and they only work with Subarus, so I feel comfortable leaving the car with them,

#10 ·
it's hard to say as i have no idea what they did when installing your rack.

i would definitely take it to a competent alignment shop and have the car aligned. assuming the steering rack was centered properly, and the tie rods are way off, they should just hold your steering wheel centered and readjust the tie rod ends.

#13 ·
I didn't have to re-align the steering wheel by moving it a few splines left/right, I only tweaked with the tie-rods. I'm not sure if the clockspring and other stuff will be affected by moving the wheel. You shouldn't need to move the wheel if the rack is installed correctly and both tie-rods should have about the same amount of threads showing. Sounds like I do agree.

Stan

#14 ·
Well, I turned the wheel all the way to the left and to the right, and it turns out that the rack is centered when the car is pointed straight, which means the coupling must be off by a spline. It looks like I'll be straightening the steering wheel tomorrow, which is fine by me, since I didn't have anything to do anyway. It kind of sucks that the shop won't take care of this. I won't badmouth them publicly, but it's not hard to figure out who did this.

I need a torx 30 to get the air bag off right? It's just the two torx bolts, and the one 15mm nut holding the steering wheel on? Anything I should know other than what's already been mentioned here?

#15 ·
Before you unplug the clockspring, tape it in place or make sure you have instructions for rewinding it. It's not hard, but it should be addressed before pulling it all apart. And don't forget to go and rent the steering wheel puller before you get started too.:biggrin:

#21 ·
I just realized that I hadn't updated this since I pulled the steering wheel. All I did was make sure that I put it on more to the left than where it was when I took it off. As far as I could tell, I made the smallest possible adjustment, being one spline. Now it tracks almost perfectly straight, with it being maybe a degree off to the left, but it's so hard to tell with the crowned roads I drive on. The left and right lock are dead on as far as I can tell.

One thing I wish I had known before doing this was how to lock the steering wheel. I had to turn the wheel at least 90 degrees before it would lock. Without the wheel being locked, it is impossible to take of the steering wheel. I shamefully had failed at my first attempt at removing the wheel because I couldn't get the wheel to lock. I marked it with tape against the top of the instrument cluster to line it up when I put the wheel back on. Thanks to everyone for your help. It's nice to have a straight steering wheel again.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.