Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Self levelling struts

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The Rookie 
#1 ·
Anything that I should know about changing a strut?

#2 ·
Nothing I can think of that will be different than a non self leveling other than you need to replace with the same type (self leveling) or put two non leveling on. You also can't put lowering springs on the self leveling because I understand it will just pump back to the original height.

Should be similar to this:

http://www.scoobymods.com/jdm_forester_sti_pink-t2666.html

#3 · (Edited)
My apologies for jumping in on your thread, but i am about to do the same, my question is:

I have a year 2000 non-turbo forester GLS currently with failing rear self-levelling shocks. i have located a pair of year 2000 turbo forester STANDARD (non-self-levelling) rear shocks and springs. is it a straight swap? ( I know the springs are not interchangeable and will also have to be changed) i have asked my subaru dealer and the mechanics there either don't know or won't commit to an answer.

I have read numerous threads here, and while it might appear that i can replace self-levelling shocks with standard ones, many people seem to have experienced a problem. I don't need better performance, or lowering, just passing an MOT!

Does anyone 'categorically' know the answer to my dilemma before i buy the shocks and try to have them fitted?

very many thanks in advance

stumbler (by name and currently by nature)

#4 ·
As long as you fit the non SLS springs with the non SLS struts then all is OK.

Problems occur when people only swap out the struts and end up with a saggy back end.

Numerous threads about this either here in "suspension" or over in the "Europe" section where SLS is more common place.

#5 · (Edited)
On SF as far as I have been able to find there is only one set of front springs and struts from the factory, fitted to everything, at the rear that is accompanied by either SLS or non SLS rear, again just the 2 derivatives, so any SF rear will match the front.

JDM are not 'lower and stiffer' despite the 'rumours' and most turbo are SLS rear (lime green painted strut) JDM STB are the only turbo's without rear SLS from the factory. As Don says SLS springs on non SLS struts are a no-no (where someone replaces a failed SLS strut with non SLS but keeps the SLS spring through ignorance) and that is what causes most of the problems.

Simon

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.