('14+) LcrazyaznL (diy) STI rear sway bar 2014 forester xt - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LcrazyaznL (diy) STI rear sway bar 2014 forester xt

Hey guys so I just upgraded the STI sway bar.
My friend gave me his rear STI sway bar from his 12 STI.

2014 stock forester 16mm rear
2012 Sti 19mm rear

What I discover is that you need to swap the sti endlinks out form the 19mm sti bar with our 2014 stock forester's endlinks.

Its roughly 1/4 inch longer than the stock STI.

----- list
14mm
12mm
breaker bar
pc blaster
towels
lithium grease

-----------
Sti 19mm 11-12 sti is a direct replacement just have to swap the endlinks

We have enough ground clearance to do it underneath if you lift the car a bit it will help a lot. I recall you need to install and uninstall with the car on load so use ramps.

-------------

Use PCB blaster to help loosen the rust or corrosion if you do it fairly early when you have the car it is pretty easy

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/llcrazyaznll/swaybar/20130710_094857.jpg[/img

spray these points

14mm and a 12mm for the various bolts you need to remove.

I think these were 12 and the endlinks were 14mm.

Start of where the endlink is that bolt is a 14mm
you may need a longer arm or breaker bar just to get it moving

The side facing the exhaust should be the nut I didn't need to hold on to the other side it came off fairly easy. The visble side closer to the exhaust is easy to get off and this will come out of the end link. just wiggle the endlink out.

Repeat for both sides

these are 12mm bolts they come of fairly easy take them off.

I found it easier to just lose the endlinks first then the brackets so the bar doesn't fall on the exhaust.

Your going have to fold the endlinks around to get the bar out
***** remember what side is left and right since the sti/ stock bar is not labeled left or right

(i think i went with from the endlink it curves down then up away from the exhaust)

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/llcrazyaznll/swaybar/20130710_100217.jpg[img]

wiggle the sway bar out in this way to clear everything. Your also going install it back in this way. It took me a bit to figure out what works but its just moving it around. Hope this helps instead of spending 10 minutes.

once you have the bars out your going to pc blast the endlinks
to remove the

14 forester endlinks and put them on the 19mm sti bar
you need to remove the sti endlinks (gray) off the 19mm bar to add in 14 forest end links. they are only slightly longer but i'm sure there is some reason behind it.

I then made sure i lubed up the bushings and sway bar and brackets with white lithium grease.

install the bar from the same side you took it out. I think the right side was just easier.

The 19mm is a bit heavier so you may need a hand.

I wiggled everything around to make sure the endlinks are straight and the bar was lined up.

Insert the end links first then move the bar up and down to fit it in its correct path.

I tighten the bolt through the endlink

for placement

Then tighten the brackets

double check that everything is lined up and straight

then tighten everything up nice and tight

Hope this helps this should apply to other installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eps105 View Post
Hi all,

I completed the RSB install on my 2.5i Touring (non-turbo, with the softer suspension) over the weekend and am very pleased with the results.

I did the EXACT same mod on my 2010 Outback 5 years ago (same P/N's and all). Back then, this mod took my Outback from a squishy highway cruiser to semi-tolerable around corners. This time around, the same mod took my already fun-to-drive Forester to sedan-like handling. It really buttoned things down in terms of body lean at moderate cornering with no perceptible change in ride.

Those who have not done this before should not be expecting a whole new car -- the mod makes an incremental (but noticeable) improvement in handling, but not a hugely dramatic change, so don't set yourself up for disappointment.

That said, anyone that likes to have fun taking corners at a zippy speed should do this mod without hesitation.

I would like to note that the original poster's detailed instructions in the first post pretty much cover all the details that anyone needs to do this. (Good work, LcrazyaznL!)

I will only add that unless your Forester is new or nearly new, you will really need to work hard to remove the nut from the endlinks. They rust within a few weeks of delivery. To succeed, note the following:
  • You will need to spray the nuts with good penetrant to loosen the rust
  • You will need a 5 mm hex key. If you look at the photos of the end link nut, there is a hex on the end of the bolt. Use the key to hold the bolt in place while you turn the nut, or else the end link will just spin with the bolt and it'll never loosen.
  • I highly recommend using a 14mm box wrench to remove the rusty nut. A crescent wrench is too imprecise and there is very little space to turn the wrench. I did it with a crescent, but it took me a good 15 minutes to get each nut off, only able to make about 1/16 of a turn with each movement.

The only other tool you need is a 12mm socket to get the nuts off of the bushing covers. You may need a 2" socket extender to get to the top nut.

Remember this mod must be done with the suspension loaded, so the car cannot be jacked up. If you are clauterphobic, you won't like it, but most people will be able to crawl under the car with no problem, but it is quite tight and awkward. Make sure you have a mat or carpet to lay on, too, and a shop light or flashlight is helpful as well.

All parts needed can be bought here:
Subaru Outback Rear 19MM Sway Bar Kit (Part No: 20451FG020/20464FG020 x2)
It says Outback, but these exact P/N's also work on Forester, Impreza, and Crosstrek, and of course, WRX.

Good luck!

Last edited by lcrazyaznl; 07-01-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
nice... how does she handle now?

post #3 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Forum Member

Awesome write up man!

post #4 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Haven't driven it yet much but taking turns feels nice and stable for once.
post #5 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Base
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My RSB is arriving tonight and I'll be installing it this weekend. I only have jackstands to do the job. Any special steps I need to take?
post #6 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I didn't even raise the car, people told me the car needs to be on load to install the bar in the right position.

So far i'm loving how it drives!
post #7 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT-T
Transmission: Paddlers
So is it safe to assume any WRX or STi rear bar will fit as long as we use the factory Forester endlinks? I need to buy a bar ASAP. What are people buying? Whiteline? COBB? Hotchkis?

EDIT - just ordered an STi bar.
F4rester likes this.

Last edited by 4-STAR; 07-10-2013 at 09:10 PM.
post #8 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Nice writeup man! It will come in handy should I decide to do this upgrade. Still on the fence about it though as I'm concerned it might make offroading too much harsher.

Also I'm still jealous of your exhaust setup! Are you still liking it and has the sound changed at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Transmission: High Torque CVT
Nice job dude! On my todo list also.

2014 XT Touring
Satin White Pearl
post #10 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did this last weekend. The end link swap is not necessary.

I used Teflon tape under the bushings instead of grease. Much cleaner and will help keep the bar from rusting. The OEM bushes have some lube already on them so no need to add more.

Attached is a pic of both bars side by side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1373554260972.jpg
Views:	2294
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	76802  

2014 Forester XT Premium
2005 Outback XT 5MT
post #11 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
dpm
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XC diesel
Identical to the SH. Forester shares platform with Impreza but the ride height is different, this explains the endlink length difference (as you want the bar ends to be parallel to the ground at normal ride height)...

2015 SJ XCdiesel CVT
post #12 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: SBM FXT-T ES
Transmission: TR690GBYCA
Given how neutral my FXT already handles, I'd caution anyone doing this to push your handling limits in a safe environment to make sure you don't have any snap oversteer. It's a killer.

Snap oversteer happens when you have gone deep into a corner at too high a rate of speed and have to let off. If it happens the car will suddenly snap violently in the direction you are turning and the rear end will pass you, put you off the road into the trees, or roll you. Snap oversteer is often the result of anti-sway bars that are mismatched for the vehicle, especially rear bars.

Try finding out in a big parking lot, for example. But not one with poles or curbing you can hit. I saw a brand new STi, driven by a young inexperienced driver get into an autocross turn too hot, lifted, and took out many thousands of dollars in wheels and suspension parts. He almost rolled it. This was a stock STi.

Flat, neutral handling is the province of professionals, who can use it. With amateurs it causes accidents. If your vehicle does get that close to neutral, consider it a candidate for snap oversteer. Faced with a situation where it might happen the one action that will save you is the hardest to force yourself to do... stay in the throttle if only a little, but do not lift.

Snap oversteer is also called lift-off oversteer. Make sure your new bar doesn't cause it.
post #13 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I think 19mm front 19mm rear isn't bad its nothing too crazy but definitely feels more grounded in the corners.

I swapped the endlinks because i didn't think the shorter endlinks would be straight when everything was bolted back on.

I also re did the lube since my cars in the past had a lot of noise in the winter time from the grease drying out.
post #14 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT-T
Transmission: Paddlers
3mm more on the rear end is a very mild upgrade - especially with a front bar so big.
post #15 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

The 16mm was not fun making turns I felt a bit scared in most of the curves. Maybe its mental thing lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode