Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Ironman vs. King springs.

('06-'08) 
13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  d2tharoc 
#1 ·
Hey all, i'm sorry if this is redundant, i'm not the best forum utilizer.

I have a ton of off road experience, mainly with jeeps and toyotas. I recently purchased a 2007 Fozzie and was hoping to gauge everyone's feelings towards the highest quality lift. I am prejudicial in the fact that I want a real spring lift (don't like spacers, at least not for the base lift.)

That being said the 2 most popular lifts I have come across are Ironman and King springs (about $200 more than Ironman).

In all of your opinionss, are the Kings worth the extra money? is there a 3rd or 4th option?

Also, similar to Old Man Emu, these lifts require no calibration of drive angles etc...(correct assumption?)

Thanks all!

#7 ·
I have no experience with ironman springs but alot with king springs. Kings are all progressive rate springs so even if the spring rate is increased, which it will be with raised springs. the ride will still very smooth and not hash or bouncy like linear rate springs. progressive rate springs alot handle better especially on rough surfaces.

If ironman springs are progressive rate then it's probably much of a muchness. if they are linear go the kings.

Personally i'd go lift blocks first then springs.

as for alignment just check your rear wheel well clearence if you have big tyres, as the rear tyre will move forward with the lift.

#8 ·
I don't think anyone on here has ever tried both, but there are a few on Ironman springs and they all have been happy. When I finally get around to my lift, it will be Ironman on top of 1" spacers. this will give me about 2.25" of lift, which is about all the cv joints can take. Any more and you need to do a drivetrain drop. Re-centering the rear wheels is as easy as making a trailing are spacer. I wish you luck finding anyone who can compare head-to-head.

#11 ·
A big part of the expense with King springs is that they are made half way around the world from the U.S. Until now, there really hasn't been anyone making them over here. I have no experience with either, but I'd give the Ironman springs a shot if I was looking to lift my Forester at all.

#14 ·
Ironmans are good, ive had mine on for about 4 months now and i have to say its much better on and offroad. Not progressive unfortunately and you should have a shop put them on the struts because the rental spring compressor from autozone is not up to the task of compressing those bad boys enough.

#15 ·
The KYB's are stock size replacement. Kings are 35 mm lift which is just under 1". I had to use rear camber bolts to get the alignment right. Also I went two sizes up to 225/65/17 to get some true lift (this size required some trimming of the front pinch welds). 11 & 1/2 inches clearance from my Primitive rear diff plate. Thats more than a stock Ram 1500. Also put in rear subframe bolts, helps rear end cornering, nothing to do with off road not even sure if it`s advisable for an offroad setup.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.