Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

FSTI takeoffs bouncy on highway

('06-'08) 
2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Valo 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I was long dreaming of installing SG9 FSTI takeoffs onto my 2007 XT and finally my dream came true. The ride height is perfect and potholes are absorbed nicely. However, there is one thing that bothers me quite a lot - I experience a constant bobblehead sort of bounce driving on the highways, which makes long commutes rather uncomfortable.

I've tried both 18" and 17" wheels with different tires. 17" rims and 215/55 stock size tires was an improvement, but still not quite there.

I am aware of pink STI springs, but it's rather impossible to legally use them here in Finland. Is there anything I can do about the bounce?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Get a different suspension. That's about the only thing I can't stand on my FSTI. I like it at lower speeds and minor bumps, but it sucks on the highway. I drove down to Garmisch in southern Germany (6 hours) and it annoyed me so much.

Bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy...

You could get a different spring/strut combo or go with a nice set of coilovers. I think for the FSTI my only option is a nice set of coils.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the comment! I've already tried the BC-Racing BR-series coilovers. Tried them first with 8 and 6 kg/mm springs and then fitted softer 6 and 5 kg/mm springs. Ride was unbearably stiff and bouncy even with softer springs and on softest settings. Actually that was the reason to change to FSTI takeoffs.

Could the softer and less sporty 17" tires possibly help with the situation?

Another option I might consider is the late version JDM Forester Cross Sports suspension, which is not inverted type. But I really don't feel like changing the whole suspension again for the 4th time. Thought there might be some less painful options available. Plus I really like how the FSTI takeoffs handle.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was also looking at the BC coilovers, but read plenty about them being stuff to be turned off. I've been looking at the Tein coilovers as well. Not too sure what I what else is left that isn't $2,000. JDM Forester STI Pinks also have some problems of their own. Those seem to be a mix of people that like versus don't like the difference.

I also thought about using 17s, but I don't like the look and I have read it doesn't make a huge difference. Several people said it helped a little, but not enough to be satisfied with the bumpy ride.

I enjoy my FSTI suspension for the most part. I just wish I could do something about that highway bumpiness. I don't really want to go full coilover, but that seems to be one of the best options. Hopefully, some others will chime in. I've poured through the suspension forums looking for alternatives. Still searching...

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Based on my experience, I do not recommend the BC Racing BR setup. Overall, what I have found out is that coilovers are not perfect for daily driven cars. They are great at the track, yes, but not for every day. At least my BC's surely had a bad mismatch between dampers and springs. There was no setting to settle the bounce even on the smoothest roads.

Exactly, the handling of FSTI suspension is superb, but this highway bounciness is what kills me. Guess we are in the same boat then...

Have you considered the JDM Cross Sport's suspension? Probably it's not as sharp as the FSTI's one, but apparently it is more comfortable. And ground clearance is the same as of FSTI's.

Yes, 17 inch wheels help a little, but it is definitely not a cure...

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers! I've finally installed the set of JDM Forester Cross Sports' take-offs instead of FSTI ones. It's night and day! SOOO MUCH MORE COMFORT!
Ride height is exactly the same. Handling is definitely not as sharp as with FSTi take-offs, but rather on the very interesting side. I am very happy with the swap.

Also got new 17x7,5 et48 forged rims with 215/55/17 Potenza's RE003. After 600km ride with new suspension I got out of the car not tired at all and with the wide smile on my face. After 4 different suspension setups I have finally found what I was looking for. Highly recommended for those who drive a lot on highways and can't stand the bounciness of firm FSTI stock suspension.

This is how the car looks at the moment.

Attachments

#9 ·
Cross Sport setup is exactly of the same height as wtih STI take-offs.
By the way, pre-restyle Cross Sports had inverted front struts (just like STI's). Restyle Cross Sport sturts, just like mine, are of regular type.

Good luck!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.