Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Front left side knocking sound when Accelerating

('03-'05) 
11K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  peterc90 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to all
I have a Subaru Forester 2004 XT
I just put in some new CV joints in the front and i am now getting some weird knocking sound when i accelerate,
Is not happening on right hand side so they are the correct CV joints.
Pedders suspension believe its the wheel hub but they will need to take it apart to look into, but i have taken that apart and see nothing out of the ordinary.
Pedders suspension said that they could not see anything wrong with the suspension or CV joints. They have the right amount of play
So far from my troubleshooting i have worked out
  • Only when Accelerating
  • Only going forward not backwards
  • From left hand side
  • Does not happen when in park or neutral and i rev engine
  • Knocking sound speeds up when car speeds up
  • Doesn't happen when im just coasting at any speed
  • seems worse when car is Cold, Goes away after a while
  • turning corner doesn't make a difference in sound
  • taken wheel hub apart and cannot see anything strange or worn away
  • Braking does not change the sound

Has anyone got any ideas.
I wish to do as much troubleshooting as possible before i pay pedders.

Thanks you

See less See more
#6 ·
I didn't see anything with the car on ramps. I'm going to take my wheel off this weekend and take a closer look. Didn't have much time and wanted to see what the people on this forum had to say. I'm going to create a new thread a bit later to get more exposure.

As far as your sound, I've heard that sound once before on my buddies Nissian Xterra and it was his bearing going bad. However, it is curious that you just replaced the cv joints. I am assuming your joints aren't seal like the ones on my 02. Perhaps have a friend double check your work. I'm certainly not trying to question your abilities, but there have been times I've overlooked some pretty simple stuff.

#7 ·
Yeah i had a re-look and didn't see anything out of place, I took everything apart and checked the hub and everything looks fine,
An Australian wide suspension place looked over it and couldn't see anything out of place, but they didn't take anything apart.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Wheel bearings, I have ordered 2 new ones and i got a local shop to put them in next week for $70 AUD. So will have to see what happens now.

Its weird though, the warmer it is the less it does it i reckon, so i'm wondering if its the knuckles on the cv joint not been lubed up enough.
If the wheel bearings are not the problem then i will swap the cv joints around and see if the sound is now on the right hand side.

Those are the only things i can think of that would be causing the sound.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.