('06-'08) Front knock, Endlinks? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FSXT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Front knock, Endlinks?

Hey Guys, I am having a knock at low speeds when going over small bumps or on uneven roads. I have a 07 fsxt on swifts & gyb gr2's that have around 40k on them and the front sway bar is stock. I climbed under my car did not find anything that looked wrong or leaking. My front endlinks lookas if they may be twisted but I'm not certain. I shot a few pick hoping that you could give me your opinion. Thanks for your help and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jarema; 06-14-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: photo
Jarema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: SG9
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Stick Shift
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Swaybar are pretty common cause but not the only one that cause that. it could be worn end link, bushing, bad strut or even some loose bolt in the suspension. Its really hard to pinpoint noise online.

Try removing one of the end link if it stop the noise. Problem with that is if you have a lot of rust you will end up having to destroy the end link to remove it.
jstawgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester STi SG9
Transmission: 6S M/T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

In my case replaced the end links with a set of Perrin ones but the cluncking noise is still present.
next step is to dissasembly the front strut + spring as they were changed recently and perhaps the springs are not sitting properly.
I have checked the swaybar bushings and honestly dont find anything wrong with them...think replace them along with a bigger swaybar should be the last step.

In case you solve your problem, please post the solution.

cheers.
ForesterS/tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Yeah mine knock too cause of the 22mm bar in the front. It's most likely the endlink joint. I ordered some Kartboy links that should be in today. The stock links aren't made for the pressure the heavy duty bars put on it so that wears them alot faster. When I put on my swifts it got worse.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Ok so if I under stand you guys I should probably hold off on replacing my endlinks? It is a stock sway bar. Would the most logical step be to disassemble the shock and strut assembly? Then move back to the endlinks if its still knocking? Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Manual

I'm having some rattles/knocks too. What I found to be a partial reason was the front caliper housing bolts/bushings. The bushings were worn out or non-existant causing the caliper bolts to rattle around. For a temp fix I just put some o-rings on there with a ton of anti-seize. Probably not all that safe but for a temp fix it has fixed that annoying metal-ish rattle.

My next step is to replace/upgrade swaybar/bushings/endlinks. And to do a perm fix for the calipers too :) Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
Ok so if I under stand you guys I should probably hold off on replacing my endlinks? It is a stock sway bar. Would the most logical step be to disassemble the shock and strut assembly? Then move back to the endlinks if its still knocking? Thanks
Check the links first. This is a 15minute procedure and the most likely cause.

Even though you have a stock swaybar the end links still wear out. When you put the swifts on it makes the angle more severe on the joint due to being lower. The kartboy links come with a spacer for lowered vehicles that sets the angle up better. To make sure its the end link just unbolt them and drive it. You'll need a 14mm wrench and allen(hex key) wrench to remove one bolt from each side. You dont need to remove the bar or other endlink bolt. Just let the hang unattached by one bolt. Then drive it around and try to replicate the noise. If it went away youll just need a new set of endlinks.

These are common wear parts on all vehicles. Even if it has no mods at all. Thats most likely the culprit.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: SG9
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Stick Shift
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Ask somebody to rock your car left and right while you peek under the car to pin point the source. If its not coming from suspension then you might have something else. A loose heat shield would produce almost the same noise too.

I ran autocross with stock endlink and 24 mm whiteline swayway and its holding up fine. I have to replace it this year because I damage it trying to change swaybar setting. Contrary to popular believe OEM endlink are quite strong even though they have plastic insert. Older subarus have ednlink that are completely plastic and flex too much but OEM forester are strong enough not to warrant replacement unless its damaged.
jstawgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Great thanks, guys I'll check it out for sur sand let you know.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S Turbo
Transmission: 5MT

A quicker and less expensive thing to do first is the ARB rubber mounts, the ones on the straight section of the ARB. Wear on these is almost impossible to visually check for ForesterS/tb and as they are inexpensive and pretty easy to replace, it might be an idea to do them before going at the end links which in the photo at least, look to be ok. When worn, the inner mounts can and do make a lot of clonking/knocking and sometimes banging noises too, particularly on not so bad surfaces. OEM style rubber mounts should be around $10-15 a set and if that works and you want to, the polybushes work great in this position without causing the harshness and noise that they can make if used in other suspension parts. If you do this and your existing parts are actually worn, the steering and general "tracking" should improve too with a tighter, less vague feeling to the steering wheel, polys will crank this up a notch.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Hey guys a quick update. I replaced my front sway bar bushings with no luck. I then replaced my endlinks and bingo! It has been about 2 weeks and no more knock. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: Auto
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default rattle/noise

Can anyone describe the noise that is made when the endlinks go bad? My 03 Forester xs has a really bad da-da-da-da-da-da-da (rapidly) when I hit bumps, Low speed, higher speeds as well just isn't as noticable with the road noise. If i hadn't read this stuff about the end links I would describe it as a loose piece of plastic somewhere.

Thanks,
Billstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Give them a look. See if they look like crap around the rubber bits. If you cant tell, try unhooking them and driving around carefully, cause it can be dangerous at high speeds without them, and replicating the noise. If it went away, order a new set. If not, hook em back up thats not your issue. The stockers are super cheap to replace from other sources than the dealer.

Sway bar end link pops are usually noticible only when articulating wheels at different moments like going in a driveway and letting one wheel up before the other, or other types of bumps. During flat driving you'll only notice them if you jerk the wheel side by side shifting the vehicle weight back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling