Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anybody rebuild their steering rack?

('98-'00) 
29K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  push2 
#1 ·
I installed a used 2004 STI rack a couple months ago. This past weekend I did some work on the car and long story short power steering fluid started pouring out of the passenger side tie rod boot. This, I have read, is an indication of a bad seal on the rack. I was thinking of just rebuilding the rack with a rebuild kit rather than buy a new one from subaru. If I have to I will buy the rack but that means my car will be down while I save for it.

Has anybody ever rebuilt a subaru steering rack before? Any steps, how-to's, or advice to give? I don't mind rebuilding it but if it really is more trouble than it's worth, then I'll just buy a new rack.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

#3 ·
I was very tempted to do a q rack but I starting to save for a swap so this will have to do lol. I don't think it would be cheaper to get the new one since the new one is $666 dollars from Subaru lol. Easier definitely. It's something I'm really considering but i figured if someone can show me I'd give it a try!

Thanks for the input bill!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
I would but they only sell the rebuilt racks which would just be the same as if i did mine. Also the sti rack they sell has the same part number as the wrx one so I don't trust it lol.

At least i know it's a new part from Subaru if I get it from them. I don't go through the local dealers here. I'll order from Jackie or subarupartslive.

#11 ·
I picked up an used '04 WRX rack for ~$65 shipped. Much cheaper than new OEM or q-racks. It also doesn't have the progressive steering response that the OEM Forester steering has.

IIRC, the main benefit the STI rack has over the WRX rack is the ratio is tighter so your steering will be a little more responsive.

As far as rebuilding the rack. It should be possible. I'm not sure how/where you would get the parts though. And inserting the seals may require some special tools.

#12 ·
The quicker ratio is what Im after actually. I've read that the wrx rack has the same ratio as the stock forester and 2.5rs and that the 04 sti rack is one of the best upgrades in terms of steering feel and response. Whether I rebuild the rack or replace it. I'll post up how everything feels once I'm done with the work.

#14 ·
I looked into this a while back when I was purchasing a rack - If I'm remembering correctly, what I found was that there are two rebuild kits available from Subaru, one for the main cylinder seals and one for the pinion housing. The main cylinder is the cheaper of the two. I think the 04 rack also calls for a couple expensive proprietary tools to push the seals in or something. They could probably be improvised with some patience & creative tool use. Aside from the special tools, I've been told those main seals aren't too bad to replace - I think it may be covered in the 04 STi FSM if you can track it down.

#15 ·
I looked into this a while back when I was purchasing a rack - If I'm remembering correctly, what I found was that there are two rebuild kits available from Subaru, one for the main cylinder seals and one for the pinion housing.
That is what I found in googling, as well. I also found Subaru sells the kit(s).

The main cylinder is the cheaper of the two. I think the 04 rack also calls for a couple expensive proprietary tools to push the seals in or something. They could probably be improvised with some patience & creative tool use. Aside from the special tools, I've been told those main seals aren't too bad to replace - I think it may be covered in the 04 STi FSM if you can track it down.
That's one of my concerns, however the Legacy rebuild link seems pretty straightforward and while a different model, there are similarities between the different racks.

#19 ·
So after three weeks of off and on working and waiting for parts I can now say it is possible to rebuild the rack. The above instructions DEFINITELY helped. I ended up replacing both the pinion seals and the main assembly seals and o rings.
I highly recommend taking the tie rods off before you drop the rack. The worst part is having to remove the one backup seal INSIDE the main assembly after the piston. I might do a little write up on how to do it.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

#21 · (Edited)
Are you looking to swap the pinion or the u-joint?

The u-joint will have rivets that need drilled out so you can bolt the '04 bottom and '98 top u-joint parts together.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...0shaft%20u%20joints%20forester%20vs%20WRX.jpg
Rubber part in the middle (above the arrows)

OR

The pinion drops right in after some wiggling/persuasion. Make sure the gasket surface is clean and all five of the pipe fittings are tight.

SF vs WRX pinion
http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1000364_10202009932871797_281213685_n.jpg

The collar on the top of the photo needs to sit in a pocket in the rack. It takes a little guidance to get it in there. Don't beat it with a BFH, but it might take a few taps from a tack hammer.

OR

Swap in a '04 steering column.

Installing it is an exercise. The feed and return lines are a reach. I suggest removing the airbox/torque box/etc to reach the lines from above.

I would say it was a 3 or 4 out of 10 on difficulty. Not hard, just takes some time and you want to make sure you do it right. Whichever way you go, make sure you put a drip pan under the feed/return lines or you will have a mess.

FWIW, I didn't have the '04 u-joint so I swapped the pinion. I have a newer ('07?) u-joint from a local Forester I'm going to test on the '04 pinion once it is above freezing again.

#27 ·
No clue. Different part #s than the WRX or Foresters.

So...the 03 Legacy rack is 0.2" narrower than the Forester
Well...according to the two different track widths listed.
Anybody know if it will bolt up right otherwise?

Track is a different measurement. With inner/outer tie rods you should be able to adjust it within the .2". I don't know what sort of steering ratio you might end up.

Based on the sketches on opposedforces it looks like the mounting bushings are different on the Legacy than the WRX/Forester. BUT, THM.com is showing the same steering rack bushings for Forester, Legacy and Outback.

That said, there is no guarantee that the splines will mate up either.

I hope you got a really good deail.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.