Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 Forester XT Rear Strut Replacement.. DIY or have repair shop do it?

('06-'08) 
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stan_t 
#1 ·
Hey,

There is fluid leaking from my rear struts which means, time for a replacement! The three quotes I have gotten are in the $500-$600 range for replacement (including parts and labor). I was thinking about doing it myself. I have the tools to do it.

Is this a good idea? Or should I just take it to the shop and put the repair in their hands? I would call myself a beginner/intermediate mechanic. I have the hayes manual and access to youtube.

If I do it.. I don't want to install crap struts. Anyone have a recommendation for struts that are nice but don't break the bank?

Do I have to get an alignment after I do this job?

Are spring compressors as sketchy as they are made out to be?

Is there potential to "mess up" and make this repair a much more expensive one?

I do know a former mechanic that could help me with the job.. Would $100 be a fair price to help with this project?

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
600 bucks just for the rear is too much. If you have the tools, do it, the most important thing you'll need is the spring compressor. I paid a deposit at canadian tire, used it for the day and got my deposit refunded when I took it back the next day. They are easy to use, and there are many videos for reference on youtube.

#3 ·
I agree with Johnny above, its a straight forward job. Two large bolts at the bottom of the strut and three up top that are in the cabin. the "BriansMobile1" channel on youtube is a good resource for subaru repair videos. Lastly, I think $100 is more than fair, I doubt the job will take more than a couple hours with 2 people. Good luck!

#5 ·
KYB GR2 or equivalent should work. Alignment not really needed IMO, but if you haven't had the car on alignment rack in a while, may not be a bad idea.

I'd do all 4 struts, and get an alignment. If you can do the rears, you can do fronts too. It isn't a quick job, but not too bad either if you do it right (both sides in the air, spring compressors, etc).

Stan

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.