Leaking Speed Bleeder - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Leaking Speed Bleeder

I just installed my Speed Bleeders and flushed the fluid out. The left front bleeder is leaking slightly. I bled the brakes a couple of years ago, using the OEM screws and had no problems/leaks. I haven't pulled the wheel off again to check it, so I'm not sure if it's seeping up through the threads or leaking at the nipple itself. I can only assume that the seat is messed up somehow, causing it to not seal completely.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything I can do/check, other than replace the bleeder screw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I did on my previous Forester. So when I put them on my current one, I checked them daily for a few weeks. The leaky one will have to be replaced, either under warranty or buying another set.

Your 04 requires the longer speed bleeder for the fronts. There are shorter 1010's out there. But they will try to seal at the top on the caliper and bottom of the hex head. The shorter ones will surely leak.

Once torqued down, there should be no flow thru the center, as that is sealed by the pintle ( conical shaped tip )on the bottom of the bleeder ( speed bleeder ) screw

Last edited by ferret; 06-18-2007 at 12:06 PM.
ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
Your 04 requires the longer speed bleeder for the fronts. There are shorter 1010's out there. But they will try to seal at the top on the caliper and bottom of the hex head. The shorter ones will surely leak.
Thanks for the info. I definitely have the long ones. The nut portion did not bottom out against the caliper.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester XT 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

One of mine leaked when I installed them. I suspected some dirt or rust got in there and was keeping the bleeder from seating properly, so I removed it and flushed the area out with brake cleaner. This seemed to work as it stopped leaking.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything I can do/check, other than replace the bleeder screw?
People have has speed bleeders leak before. No idea if this had anything to do with them being speed bleeders, or if it could have happened with any bleeder screw.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxt66 View Post
One of mine leaked when I installed them. I suspected some dirt or rust got in there and was keeping the bleeder from seating properly, so I removed it and flushed the area out with brake cleaner. This seemed to work as it stopped leaking.
That's certainly a possibility or I just may not have tightened it enough, when I was bleeding the other corners. That corner dumped some fluid when I was swapping the bleeders and it ran down the caliper. When I got back from the test drive, I noticed some drips inside the wheel, so that's why I thought it was still leaking. I pulled the wheel and cleaned it up. I had the wife pump the pedal hard and saw no leak. I guess there was just some fluid left on the outside of the caliper that dripped down. Still looks dry today after a drive, so I guess I'm ok.

Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes