just installed new pads/rotors - how to get rid of squeak? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default just installed new pads/rotors - how to get rid of squeak?

Hi all, I haven't posted here in a long time but always use it as a great resource.

I just changed my front rotors (Autozone) and pads (Duralast Gold) and took it for a spin to bed in the brakes. Right out of the driveway they were basically quiet, with a slight sqeak at stop signs. Once I got to a road I could get up to 50-60mph to do some stops, they started to squeak. After doing a few stops I noticed they were smoking (like they're supposed to) and after about 10 pretty hard stops (just before ABS turns on) they had a constant squeak/squeal going on.

I put the car back up on jackstands and I can hear some friction when I spin the wheel but nothing crazy (I'm not sure what if had any before, or how much), and after giving it a hard spin it will keep going for a couple seconds - so it's really bad.

I pushed the pistons in again to make sure they were in all the way, and took it for anothe spin. This time it was silent! .... for the first 4 or 5 minutes, then once the rotors/pads got warmed up a squeak started (seemingly coming from the right front). So now it's a squeak with every tire rotation, not constant, and a pretty lound one. It's still there with the brake pedal applied, but the sound is a bit deeper in pitch.

So I just pulled the rear rotor off and sprayed the hub down with brake cleaner thinking that might do the trick, but it didn't. Same squeak.

Any idea what it could be or what I should do? Everything else about the brakes are fine - good power and feel.

I could really use some quick help on this one, as I'd like to finish it up tomorrow morning before I have to pick my wife up at the airport.

Thanks!
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

I just read about anti-squeal shims and wonder if these would work/help. I'm also wondering if I put enough brake grease on the back of the pad. Is the little tube of "brake grease" at Autozone the same as the anti-brake squeal grease?

One other note, I didn't put any brake grease on the non-piston side. I suppose that could be it too. As I understand it, the squeak comes from the pistons interface with the pads so I didn't bother with the outside pad. I may try some of the spray anti-squeal like in the great video that Blue Fox put up.

I also replaced the hardware, including the boots on the sliding bolts - no tears but new ones came with the kit so I figured what the hay. Car has just under 70,000 miles on it with no previous brake work, 2004 FXT.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yes on the shims (use the stockers) and grease both of the pads and the caliper's sliding surfaces as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

I couldn't use the stock shims because the Duralast pad is a slightly different shape. The guy at autozone said it would be fine without it.

And when you say "sliding surfaces", the only sliding surfaces are the "nuts" that have the boots around them right? I replace the boots with new ones and greaed the bolts up good. One of those "nuts" have a small rubber boot inside the other boot (lower one if I'm not mistaken) - I didn't replace those.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

I'm going to go out and put the car on jack stands, pull the tires and take the pads out. Then I'll run to Autozone for some spray anti-squeal and talk to the folks there about it to see if there's anything else I can do.

PLEASE, if you have any other things I should look at please let me know ASAP!

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Impreza RS Wagon
Transmission: Auto
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

The anti brake squeak lube is usually red and there should be ample amounts on the back of the pads. I don't know for you, but I know my caliper bracket was pretty rusty/junky so I cleaned mine up with a wire brush so that pads moved smoother.

Also I saw you cleaned the hub with brake cleaner but did you clean the rotors with brake cleaner? Out of the factory they are rather greasy.
Real Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

I figured it out!

As most of the tutorials described, I only had one wheel off the ground so I couldn't spin the disc to see where it was rubbing. My brother (an Audi enthusiast) suggested spinning the axle, so I put both sides on jack stands. Spun the discs and there was some rubbing and it made some noise, but I didn't think it was any more than simply the pads on the rotor. I popped the pads out and spun them again, and voila! A high pitch sqeak! It was coming from the new brake pad hardware kit (that hold the pads in) and was rubbing the top of the rotor. A simple bend of the clip to clear the rotor, and I had silent pads.

I also greased both pads this time, and I did spray each rotor with brake cleaner before.

So if you buy an autozone hardware kit and new rotors, put a slight bend in the top of the clip (the top of the "U" shape) to clear the rotor.

Thanks for the help, but it really just came down to me spending time diagnosing it. Sometimes simply writing this stuff out gets my mind going in the right direction.

Last edited by Matt D; 09-20-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes