Brakes Lock Up Randomly... - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Brakes Lock Up Randomly...

Greetings,

I purchased a used 2003 Subaru Forester about 5 months ago from a used car dealership and have started experiencing problems with the brakes. The first time happened about a month ago or so. I was driving around, came to a stop at a stop light, when it turned green, I tried to go, but my car would not move. The wheels were completely locked up, couldn't go forward or reverse. I wasn't being hard on the brakes or anything. At first I thought the transmission may have gone out, but after taking it back to the dealership, they informed me that it was the calipers (or something to that effect) on the front brakes. They informed me that they replaced some parts on the front brakes and that if it locked up again, to just "grind" them a bit (not sure what they were talking about). Anyway, long story short, it has happened several times since the repairs.

One thing to note is that I live in New Mexico and it gets quite hot down here and the days that it has locked up have been pretty hot days. My assumption is that the brake pads are possibly swelling up and locking the rotar into place. I'm not really sure on this though and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else with a Forester or if I just got a lemon from the dealership and their brake job fix was crap.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Jeremy
m_c_zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester X, MT

Haven't had it happen on any of my Foresters, but on a past car I had the bushings inside the caliper get worn, preventing the caliper from "floating" and brakes from releasing completely. New bushings along with high-temp silicone grease inside fixed it. My problem with that Toytoa was much more pronounced with mountainous driving versus on flat ground. It is possible that the calipers could have some wear or corrosion contributing as well although not that likely.

Do you have a 5 spd MT with the hill holder active? Maybe could be related to misadjustment of this? I have noticed mine on a few occasions being "sticky" (usually backing out of a fairly level parking space) but never enough for me to adjust yet.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Its most likely that the slide pins are seizing up in the caliper. They should be cleaned and lubed regularly, along with the edges of the pad that slide in the caliper and the caliper clips. If theres too much gunk in the caliper clips (where the edges of the pad slide), the pads can get stuck.

I'd probably bring it to a good independent mechanic to take a look at them.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Don't go back to the same place.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

I would suspect the master cylinder. When you release the brake peddle, fluid pressure is released as are the brakes. If pressure is not released then obviously the brakes will stay on. Dirt in or otherwise restricted relief port will cause this. Have heard of this a couple of times and after replacing obvious stuff the brakes worked fine after master cylinder cleaned up.
williebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Default Same Problem

I know this is a long shot on an old thread, but I have the exact same problem with exact same car. Brake place just wants to replace nearly everything, and I am suspicious this is not necessary (or at least that the ABS system doesn't need replacing).

m_c_zero, if you happen to see this, what did the problem end up being and what was needed to fix?

Or anyone else that knows, more information would be very welcome..
St.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes