post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brakes freezing in v. cold weather?

Hmm... no other threads in this forum... hope someone reads this!

I just made a long road trip in my Forrie, from Philadelphia to Montana via Minnesota and Wisconsin. We stopped overnight outside Madison, and when we got on the road the next day, the brakes were very stiff. I.e., when I pressed on the brake pedal, there was a lot of resistance and very little braking. After a lot of pressing, they came back, but throughout that day, usually after long periods of driving on the highway when we didn't use the brakes (and were slowing down to pull into a rest station or something), that stiffness came back and I really had to jam on the pedal to get them to work.

The temperature that day was -7 F, -30 with wind chill. So I'm thinking that something in the brake line was freezing up during those long periods of disuse, and we haven't experienced it since driving through those temps. Does that sound plausible? If so, is there any way to prevent it? If that doesn't sound like the answer, what else might it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Car Year: 04
Car Model: XT
I don't have input into your braking problems other than guessing so I'll leave that to denizens of areas with more severe weather than California.

But if your not seeing threads then you need to change your user settings. Hit the User CP at the top off the forum page, then on the control panel list on the side of the page hit Edit Option, then scroll down to "Default Thread Age Cut Off" and check whatever time limit you want, up to show all.

There are 22 pages of threads in the Brakes subforum.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5X EJ255
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Question

Could that be the moisture freeze at those low temperature? How long ago did you replace brake fluid?

…what to do with the time that is given to us…
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 AM

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
There is a check-valve inline between the brake booster and intake manifold.

If there is moisture in that check-valve (which is fairly likely, as moisture is common in the intake manifold), it could freeze causing the check-valve to stick closed.

If the valve is frozen closed, you lose vacuum assist on the brakes, and effectively have "manual brakes" like back in the day.

Also, at that cold of temperature brake pads are WAY below their range of optimal efficiency, so it will require greater pressure to achieve equal pad/rotor friction, which translates to a VERY stiff pedal until the pads warm up.

09 SWP Outback 2.5XT 5MT 263whp, 337 lb-ft
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
It sounds like your brake fluid has gotten contaminated with water and is freezing. Bleeding the brakes periodically will fix and prevent this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 AM

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
I occaisionally had similar problems with my previous vehicle (a F@#d pu) and it was apparently caused by frost sticking to the rotors. After a few years of being exposed to winter road salt, the rotors would develop some mild pitting and the roughened surface allowed some frost to stick to them. It melts off once the brakes heat up from the first use and they would work normally after that. Always needed new rotors before passing the next annual safety inspection too.

I would recommend a brake job.

2004 FXT 5MT PSM
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS MT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Happened to me as well, up in the mountains. Was about time to change my brake fluid anyway. Did that, no more problems!

Dash: '03 XS MT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Resident Ninja
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Happens to me all the time, usually goes away after a minute or two and only happens when it is cold, like below 5 degrees or so.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
I'll say its moisture in the lines. Its plenty cold here all winter (-10 is not rare) and this never happens to me. Brake fluid does absorb moisture so this may be an idicator its time to change your fluid.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Resident Ninja
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^

Good to know I am basically at 30k so I think its due for new fluid anyways.

Thanks!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
If you have absorbed enough water to cause brake fluid to freeze, you have bigger problems than no brakes.

Brake fluid absorbs approximately 3% by volume over the course of it's usable life. So in 1000mL, only 30mL of water will be absorbed (evenly, you can't see the water in brake fluid). "Dry" brake fluid has a freezing point of around -59C (-75F). Fully saturated, it will not be significantly raised.

09 SWP Outback 2.5XT 5MT 263whp, 337 lb-ft
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I thought you were going to ask about this after going through the car wash! Always fun going through the car wash when it's like -20 out and trying to come to a stop right outside the wash and almost sliding through the stop signs. It does sound like you need to change your brake fluid if you haven't done that recently.

-Steve

'05 FXT 5MT
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwelna View Post
I thought you were going to ask about this after going through the car wash! Always fun going through the car wash when it's like -20 out and trying to come to a stop right outside the wash and almost sliding through the stop signs. It does sound like you need to change your brake fluid if you haven't done that recently.

-Steve
How does water get into the brake fluid while in a car wash?

2004 FXT 5MT PSM
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Sport XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinaibi View Post
How does water get into the brake fluid while in a car wash?
It doesn't unless you've left the top off the master cylinder and driven through the car wash with the hood open. That wasn't what he was suggesting anyway, if you read it again.

As BAC5.2 has observed this, is unlikely to be your brake fluid: if it has absorbed enough water to freeze, then it's going to boil and cause complete loss of brakes very, very readily.

I'd check what BAC5.2 suggested earlier, and if the car has non-standard pads, they might not be working too well at these low temperatures, especially if some cheap ones have got put in there at some point. Your brake booster (aka servo) might be failing too.

07 Forester Sports XT 4EAT & 02 WRX wagon 5MT
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It doesn't unless you've left the top off the master cylinder and driven through the car wash with the hood open. That wasn't what he was suggesting anyway, if you read it again.

As BAC5.2 has observed this, is unlikely to be your brake fluid: if it has absorbed enough water to freeze, then it's going to boil and cause complete loss of brakes very, very readily.

I'd check what BAC5.2 suggested earlier, and if the car has non-standard pads, they might not be working too well at these low temperatures, especially if some cheap ones have got put in there at some point. Your brake booster (aka servo) might be failing too.
Good points. The way the OP described it does sound like symptoms of a brake booster failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.