The Official West Coast Good Eats Thread - Page 5 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
06 X Auto
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Auto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yum!

Chicago Harv's
410 E Chapman Ave
Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 871-0491

Great Hot Dogs, Chicago Style

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Casper reincarnated

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Honda CR-V AWD
Transmission: 5 Sp A/T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
If you ever come on back through SF, and have a day or two, look us up. We'll be happy to show you some of the wine country while you're here.

I most certainly will do that Roo thankyou for the invitation.

Peter

2016 Honda CRV AWD
Ex 2003 XS Forester
post #63 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
I have to give an honorable mention to Honey Biscuits in the Grapevine shopping center in Cotati (7981 Old Redwood Hwy #D, Cotati, 707.795.9000), even though they are slated to close up shop in the next two weeks (boo!).

This was my first exposure to real southern food, and it was goooooooooooood!! Not only that, but even after I failed to finish my sampler plate consisting of fried chicken, potato salad, smoked sausage, corn, tomatoes, rice and a biscuit, served with sweet tea, we were still sent home with a big bag of organic kiwifruit and 4 extra biscuits at no charge!

I wish I had known about this place sooner... if any of you have a chance to swing by before they close, do yourself a favor and give them a try!

Also check out this review: http://biteclub.pressdemocrat.com/de...sp?item=575004

Quote:
Oh Southern Comfort

Chas Langley isn't one for formalities. Standing in the barebones kitchen of Honey Biscuits, he hollers, "Now, make sure you get the Styrofoam plate in that picture. That's kind of my trademark."

"Uh, why?" I snap back with crumbs of sweet pastry (what he calls Fat Rascalz) flying from my mouth as I focus the camera on a plate of fried chicken and rice (trying not get the Styrofoam). "It's not exactly environmentally friendly."

"No it's not, but it makes the food taste better," he says with a sidelong grin. It's a look that straddles between totally serious and absolutely messing with me. In this situation, I do what comes naturally. Laugh hysterically and try not to choke on my sweet tea.

Better not to argue with Chas. Just sit and eat whatever he feels like serving you. And feel pretty lucky for the opportunity.

Though it's been around for more than two years, Honey Biscuits has remained well under the radar for some unknown reason. Serving up serious southern soul food--fried chicken, okra, red beans & rice, sweet potato pie, beignets, jambalaya, creamy potato salad, their trademark biscuits, sweet, fruit-studded Rascalz pastries and, well, whatever Chas feels like cooking that day--Honey Biscuits is little more than a tiny storefront in Cotati's Grapevine shopping center.

There's one communal table, plastic utensils, and a CD player you have to control your dang self. And that's about it, aside from Chas (and sometimes his mom) serving up plates of food from breakfast through dinner.

But lest you think this is some gnarly Crisco-fest, Chas is quick to point out that he is, after all, from Marin. Southern Marin, to be exact, and all the produce gets delivered fresh from Laguna Farms and keeps the grease to a minimum. The Rascalz, in fact, are only 2 points on Weight Watchers. It's his California contribution.

Nice to know. But this ain't the time to be calorie-counting.

Best bets: Let Chas make you up a plate. It's more food than you'll ever eat and includes one of their lush honey biscuits for just $8. Beignets are made fresh on Saturdays and Sundays. All food is cooked to order, so don't be in a fired-up hurry, now. Oh, and since you asked, he gets most of his recipes from his mom, who is also from Marin. But they've got family in Louisiana. Close enough.

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'98 S 4EAT DBP - "Slynki"

post #64 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest_explorer View Post
Gigi's in Oceanside is a new Italian restaurant run by a family from Italy...best food ever!
OK, if we are getting that far south might as well go a little further. How about

Jorge's Mexican on El Camino Real in Encinitas (just in a strip mall but the best Mexican chicken tortilla soup around. If you like it spicy try the Texacoco Soup )

K Sandwiches on Linda Vista (don't know what town that is) - French Vietnamese BBQ/Bakery/who knows. very cheap very good.

A bit more spendy but try the new Stone Brewery on Citracado in Escondido. Very good beer but if you want dinner make your reservation days in advance. Incredible environment in the middle of a business park. Probably the nicest brewery you ever visited.

That's it for now. Have to sample my way up the west coast with this list
post #65 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 03
Car Model: 2.5 X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre36 View Post
Some of my favs...

Vietnamese: Green Leaf in International District

Green Leaf rocks! I have been there twice now...the food is so fresh and really tasty. Highly recommed for Seattle people (or visitors).

03 2.5x AT
post #66 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Roo
Dr. Detour
Site Founder

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester...what else
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Let's try another place in S.F.

www.goathillpizza.com

We went to the one on 18th and Connecticut, and it ROCKED!!!

Monday night is sit down with your drink, and the waiters/waitresses come by with pies, and offer you a slice. All you can stuff down your pie (pizza) hole.

Please feel free to support our Subaru parts vendors here.
post #67 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs up

^^ mmmm, good stuff! Thanks to Jeremiah (Ratboy) for the tip.

~ Silke ~
post #68 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: camry se
Transmission: 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyc View Post
Green Leaf rocks! I have been there twice now...the food is so fresh and really tasty. Highly recommed for Seattle people (or visitors).
Then you may want to try this Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant on the same street just a few blocks south.

http://www.mikbistro.com/home.html

I swear I go there for the good food.
post #69 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 PM

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: camry se
Transmission: 6AT
sea-scooby and I have hit up this Chinese restaurant in Downtown Seattle for lunch a few times. I got to give props to sea-scooby for trying out the dim sum chicken feet!

www.oasian.net

O'asian is also my regular Happy Hour hotspot. Happy Hour is 4:30 to closing daily with free parking in underground garage. I highly recommend the salt & pepper calamari, bacon wrapped scallops, wasabi infused prawns and salty chicken wings.
post #70 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: FSXT
Here are some of the places I like. :)

Portland:
Changs Mongolian Grill
Ikenohana
Curry in a Hurry (Thai)
Sushi & Teriyaki (16937 65th Ave, Lake Oswego, OR)
Lavang (Vietnamese)
New Delhi Restaurant (9111 SW Barbur Blvd, Portland, OR)
Ernesto's
Charthouse
El Gaucho
Huber's Cafe
Flying Pie Pizza

West Bay Area:
El Azteca Taqueria (5298 3rd St, San Francisco, CA)
Wasa Wasa Sushi
Cafe Prague (584 Pacific Ave, San Francisco, CA)
Millbrae Pancake House
The Ramp (855 Terry Francois St, San Francisco, CA)

post #71 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Sportwagen TDI
Transmission: 6sp DSG
New Faves, Old Faves, and Lamentation

Wow, what a great thread.

For Mexican, we like Mi Pueblo at 800 N. Petaluma Blvd., Petaluma ($$).

For Chinese, we like Hunan Village at 295 N. McDowell Blvd., Petaluma ($$).

For Indian, we have only one choice (unfortunately) but it is a decent one (fortunately) if a little expensive for its calibre (unfortunately). Star of India at 295 N. McDowell Blvd., Petaluma, next door to Hunan Village in fact ($$$).

For eclectic, try Cafe Zazzle at 121 Kentucky Street. They serve reasonably priced, high quality, fusion dishes. Think asian-Mexican-southern US-etc., over the top fusion ($$).

For more shi-shi a couple of high end Italian restaurants come to mind: Cafe Giostra at 1390 N. McDowell Blvd. #L ($$$) and Cucina Paradiso, who even have a website http://www.cucinaparadisopetaluma.com/ ($$$$).

If Italian isn't your thing, but you still want shi-shi, Deschmire's (which recently changed hands) remains a reliable standby. Deschmire's is a continental-French-ish place located at 304 Bodega Ave., Petaluma ($$$$).

If you prefer more modern California cuisine, try Central Market at 42 N. Petaluma Blvd., Petaluma (http://www.centralmarketpetaluma.com/; $$$$).

Now the lamentation - Petaluma has no truly good pizza restaurants! I'm not a deep dish kinda guy, so Old Chicago Pizza need not apply. Mary's Pizza Shack is limp, damp and oily. Likewise New Yorker tends to be limp and a little soggy. Giacomo's makes an "okay" pie, but it doesn't have much competition. In fact, Round Table stacks up pretty well compared to most of Petaluma's mom & pop pizza joints. If you know of any in or near Petaluma, please, please, please...share!
post #72 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Roo
Dr. Detour
Site Founder

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester...what else
Mombo's anyone?

Sebastopol has one, as does Santa Rosa.

Please feel free to support our Subaru parts vendors here.
post #73 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotraveler View Post
For Mexican, we like Mi Pueblo at 800 N. Petaluma Blvd., Petaluma ($$).
+1 for Mi Pueblo! We usually frequent their Novato loaction because it's practically right across te street from LIC Motorsports. Some of the best Mexican fare around, for sure!

~ Silke ~
post #74 of 133 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
We travelled 5,500 miles? in 14 days from SF > VC (BC) > Jasper NP > Spokeane > John Day > Las Vegas > LA

I know I'm being anal for pointing out a misspelling of a little city almost no one's heard of on the Forum, but it's a pride thing for us Eastern Washington peoples.

The spelling is actually Spokane, and it's pronounced spo'can.

Unfortunetally I'm not familiar with the eateries up there, but there is a Dicks burgers right off the freeway at the division exit.

'07 FXT Sports, black.
post #75 of 133 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM
06 X Auto
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > U.S. Regional Forums > Pacific Forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page