Throttle Position Sensor Replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
DRV
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester XS, MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Hey all, I purchased my car with 99k on it and recently completed the replacement of all belts pulleys, water pump, thermostat, plugs and coolant and cleaned the throtte body. I thought that possibly that would fix an issue I have seen since I bought the car.

The problem
When I get in traffic I notice the rpms will just start rising on their own and if I rev the engine they will drop down to 2k. Which made me think it had something to do with the ECU. Also when I let off the gas it can lerch at times and if I just leave it in first and let it roll it when almost rock back and forth.

I was speaking to someone and they mentioned it could be a bad throttle position sensor. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Many thanks
-Dan
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
DRV
Forum Member

Is it possible to have a bad TPS without the car throwing a check engine light?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT

I had a bad TPS on my 2001 Subaru Outback without a check engine light. Make sure to check your grounds to the TPS if you are going to replace it. That ended up being the problem with mine and I ended up going through two TPS's before I found out. The check engine light will come on if the voltage is to high or too low to the unit. If you are going to replace it yourself, a good volt ohm meter is necessary to measure the correct voltage. I believe the Outback I had was between .45 and .55 volts or something like that. Make sure to double check that though, it has been a while since I replaced one. Good luck.

-Joe
subaruoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
DRV
Forum Member

Thank you for replying back to me. I did some research on the TPS for the 2.5L and they are stating in two sources like you said .45 volts at wide open throttle and .5 at idle. I guess my question is being that I had this problem since I bought the car at 99k is it possible to have a working TPS that just needs to be adjusted? I have never replaced one in a car and correct me if I am wrong but if I purchased a new one I would have to adjust the idle and WOT settings as well. The cheapest I found for an OEM was $197 and I found a couple used one's on ebay for $40 to $50 dollars. When you replaced yours did you purchase yours from a dealer.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)