('01-'02) new bottom end bearings? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Put in new, standard-size bearings or leave the old bearings?
New bearings with no machine work 2 100.00%
Leave in the old bearings. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto 4 speed
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default new bottom end bearings?

'02 Forester.

Engine has 290,000 miles. The heads have been thoroughly rebuilt. New rings at the same time.

So ... the top end has about 3,000 on it, and the bottom end has about 287,000 miles.

I'm worried that it will throw a rod or the mains are wearing out.

I CAN NOT do a thorough rebuild (line-bored, thrust-cut, etc. on this engine right now. I would love to, but it's just not an option. So let's not even get into that.

I'm thinking of putting new mains and throwout bearings in there ... standard size. Also a new oil pump. What do you think? Would it be better to replace the bearings with no machine work, or just leave the old bearings in there?

Also, is it possible to replace the main bearings, throwout bearings, and oil pump while the motor is still installed? From the bottom with the oil pan off?

Thanks!
MontanaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2004
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

To replace the main bearings, you have to split the case. You can not do this in the car. The rod bearings (I believe what you are referring to when you say throwout) would be almost impossible too.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Transmission: Auto 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
To replace the main bearings, you have to split the case. You can not do this in the car. The rod bearings (I believe what you are referring to when you say throwout) would be almost impossible too.
Ok ... thanks for that info. I've never torn into a Subaru motor before, but I can see it's a flat 4, horizontally opposed motor, somewhat like an old, air-cooled VW. I rebuilt a VW motor a long time ago, but I guess I just assumed the Subaru would be different.

Well ... If I need to split the case, I might as well get the machine work done and do the job properly. :-|
MontanaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan View Post
Ok ... thanks for that info. I've never torn into a Subaru motor before, but I can see it's a flat 4, horizontally opposed motor, somewhat like an old, air-cooled VW. I rebuilt a VW motor a long time ago, but I guess I just assumed the Subaru would be different.

Well ... If I need to split the case, I might as well get the machine work done and do the job properly. :-|
Yes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)