Head gasket design changed for the 2010 N/A models - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Default Head gasket design changed for the 2010 N/A models

I figured some might want to know... The new gasket design for the 2.5 N/A models is now similar to the gasket used in the turbo models. It is, however, not interchangeable with the older model 2.5 engines. Details and pics here:
Subaru Changed There Head Gasket For The 2010 2.5L - Seattle Subaru Repair

pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester Touring
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Although my vehicle is a 2010, it was manufactured in Nov. '09.

I hope I have the redesigned gasket...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Unless Subaru changed the engine block/head casting I see no reason why it could not be used in previous years. The only difference I see in that gasket is instead of the outer MLS layers being completely covered in a viton rubber, they appear to only have a silicone bead that matches up with where the blocks sealing surface is.

Some of the info on that page is incorrect also:
Quote:
But it proves what I have been stating all along, a MLS (Multi Layer Shim) gasket is what is needed!
Subarus current headgaskets are already a MLS design and have been for awhile.

If I have to do HG in any previous years I will be swinging by my local dealer and making a side by side comparison and I would say there will be a 99.99% chance these will be going in.

Thank you Pleiad7 for posting

Albino83 can you check and see what part number Morries installed for your recent HGs?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Ninja
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium
Transmission: Auto

Looks like the part number for the gasket they installed for me is 11044AA633, so the older version I presume.
Albino83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am willing to bet since SOA was paying a portion it was being treated as a warranty repair in which they can only use SOA approved part numbers.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
Unless Subaru changed the engine block/head casting I see no reason why it could not be used in previous years.
Exactly my thoughts
Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Ninja
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Premium
Transmission: Auto

Drat! O well would have been nice to have had the old gaskets replaced with that thing!
Albino83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5XP

It would be nice to know when they implemented this change. I wonder if all the 2010 non-turbos got the new gasket.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

It should be easy to find out, once 2010 start blowing headgaskets we will know that is the SSDD ;) lol hahahahahahahaq
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Default Not looking to argue

I try to stay away from the Forums, on an occasion I look at the links back to our site and have a peek. I have no desire to get into any sort of an argument, I only want to try and clarify a few things.

It appears that Subaru did change the cylinder head and or block casting, if you look at the very center portion of the head gasket you will observe there is only one center hole in the gasket for coolant to flow through where as all of the previous Subaru head gaskets for the U.S. production E.J. series there has been 2 holes for Coolant flow.

The cooling jacket ports on the gasket suggest that maybe Subaru has changed the deck as well as they are a different shape and size, but I will know more about this when we take one apart and at that time I will post some pictures on our website. Lastly I want to measure a "crushed" gasket for thickness, as it is pretty thin and could change the combustion temperatures a bit.

Subaru Part # 11044AA633 is not a Multi layer Shim Type gasket. Please go have a look for your self at the make up of the Original gasket. It is a single piece of steel with a gasket material bonded to it. This is the updated gasket used to correct the vehicles that fell under the WWP-99 campaign and is the gasket used in production of all of the N/A 2.5l EJ 2.5l from 2003 until 2007. I am not clear about the part used in the PZEV from 08 to 09 we have not had one apart yet but from the outside it doesn't look like a MLS.

11044AA633 is also the part used by Subaru in the course of head gasket repair at the dealer level for all warranty work and customer pay as well.

I know I have heard there are a few dealers using the same gasket we(which is an MLS) use for non warranty repairs but I don't have any real evidence to back that up only that I have heard that rumor.

Subaru uses an MLS gasket For all other engines aside from the N/A 2.5l. Tribeca, 3.0, 3.6, WRX 2.0 2.5, Turbo XT 2.5l etc.

I wanted to post some pictures of all of the different head gaskets, but the rules only allow for pictures after 15 posts. there are pictures on our website, I am not trying to solicit any one, I am only trying to post some info.

I thinks its a real positive that there has been a change made I truly don't understand why it took Subaru so long to make the change, We may try to put a set of these in one of our loaner cars with some modifications if time allows.

Justin
AWDAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS

AWDAuto,

Thanks for the post! This is very helpful. A few questions, though:

1. Pardon my ignorance, but who are you? You seem to work for an independent parts supplier or dealer but that's about all I can infer from your post.
2. What is the name or part number of the MLS gasket you use in your repairs? Do you have any other information about it? Does it hold up better than the non-MLS gaskets used by Subaru?

Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDAuto View Post
I try to stay away from the Forums, on an occasion I look at the links back to our site and have a peek. I have no desire to get into any sort of an argument, I only want to try and clarify a few things.

It appears that Subaru did change the cylinder head and or block casting, if you look at the very center portion of the head gasket you will observe there is only one center hole in the gasket for coolant to flow through where as all of the previous Subaru head gaskets for the U.S. production E.J. series there has been 2 holes for Coolant flow.

The cooling jacket ports on the gasket suggest that maybe Subaru has changed the deck as well as they are a different shape and size, but I will know more about this when we take one apart and at that time I will post some pictures on our website. Lastly I want to measure a "crushed" gasket for thickness, as it is pretty thin and could change the combustion temperatures a bit.

Subaru Part # 11044AA633 is not a Multi layer Shim Type gasket. Please go have a look for your self at the make up of the Original gasket. It is a single piece of steel with a gasket material bonded to it. This is the updated gasket used to correct the vehicles that fell under the WWP-99 campaign and is the gasket used in production of all of the N/A 2.5l EJ 2.5l from 2003 until 2007. I am not clear about the part used in the PZEV from 08 to 09 we have not had one apart yet but from the outside it doesn't look like a MLS.

11044AA633 is also the part used by Subaru in the course of head gasket repair at the dealer level for all warranty work and customer pay as well.

I know I have heard there are a few dealers using the same gasket we(which is an MLS) use for non warranty repairs but I don't have any real evidence to back that up only that I have heard that rumor.

Subaru uses an MLS gasket For all other engines aside from the N/A 2.5l. Tribeca, 3.0, 3.6, WRX 2.0 2.5, Turbo XT 2.5l etc.

I wanted to post some pictures of all of the different head gaskets, but the rules only allow for pictures after 15 posts. there are pictures on our website, I am not trying to solicit any one, I am only trying to post some info.

I thinks its a real positive that there has been a change made I truly don't understand why it took Subaru so long to make the change, We may try to put a set of these in one of our loaner cars with some modifications if time allows.

Justin
Very helpful info, thanks for clarifying.

You can attach pictures to your post even if your post count is less than 15 (it's just the hotlinking that's a issue). Or you can pm me with the links and I'll add them to your post.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: fxt A/T
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Pretty sure he works/owns All Wheel Drive Auto: Independent Seattle Subaru Repair & Service judging from the name as well as location.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That "2nd" coolant hole is in a none critical area for coolant flow. With out that hole the coolant would not have a direct path into the head in that area, however that cooling passage in the head is inter connected to the other main passages, No real loss, many used to get plugged and only a small number of those would overheat. IMHO no more so then ones that weren't plugged.

I find it interesting you say that Subaru has not used a MLS gasket for NAs. 2 sealed box NA specific top end gaskets sets I received from a local dealer to install last summer had MLS gaskets as part of the kit VS the old 1 layer composite style or single layer stamped steal gaskets. Kit # 10105AA930(for the reman block but contains the valve seals and gaskets for virtually the same price) Or was this luck of the draw in the boxes and Subarus packagers tossing in what they have on hand, the gaskets were all most identical to a cometic set I had on hand. It threw me for a loop when I opened the first gasket set and double checked the set part number on the boxes.

Welcome to the forum AWDAuto.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester X, MT

glad to see justin at AWD auto on here! lots of good info on their site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)