('98-'00) Camshaft Position Sensor - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Transmission: auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Camshaft Position Sensor

Recently installed a used transmission, got the ground wire hooked (same guy), but now the engine runs very rough - no power. It ran just fine before replacing the trany.

I am receiving ETC code P0341 (also, once got P0340, but only once and has not returned), indicating a faulty camshaft position sensor. However, when I check the sensor and associated wiring harness IAW OEM tech manual, all checks OK. For example, resistance between contacts on sensor is about 2100 ohms, specs are 1000 - 4000 ohms. I bought a new sensor (about $70.00) and its resistance reads the same as the old one.

I am reluctant to install it because then I won't be able to return it once in stalled, if that does not fix the problem. Also, today while checking the car I noted the catalytic converter was RED HOT, a sympton of unburned fuel getting into the exhaust system and burning in the converter. Thoughts?? Thanks
Tony's Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco

Car runs rough, no power, cat's hot... you're running hella rich... WHY... (just going over things)

what did you disturb during the install?

Did you get all the grounds re-connected..

How do you know the trans is good? everything DID run fine prior to the install...

So why would you be running rich? Plugs... wires... misfire.. no fire...

Not sure what "got the ground wire hooked(same guy)" means...

Lots of wild variables here...
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Don't belive we distrubed anything during the install. I have been all over the engine and everything appears to be reconnected properly. There is a red and black ground wire the goes from the center-line firewall to one of the bolts on the pitching stopper. This was the last item I had to reconnect and had a question about which was answered in a previous forum.

As to misfires, no firing, etc., again the only code I'm getting is the P0341 which only points to the camshaft position sensor. Additionally, when I was trouble shooting the camshaft senor, with the engine idling (rough), I pulled the sensor's connector and the engine died. Which is an other reason I am not convinced the sensor is the problem. If it was faulty, I would have expected no change in the way the engine was running when I disconnected it.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Camshaft position sensor Update

Today I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the ignition coil. Still getting the P0341 code and same symptoms as before. I replaced the ignition coil because I was getting no spark on cyl # 3 and intermittent on #4 as checked with a timing light. That problem appears to be fixed. But firing does appear to be slightly intermittent on all 4 cyls as engine warms up. I also checked crankshaft position sensor, resistance and output signal and that checks out fine as well. Catalytic converter still runs red hot.

So just to recap, after replacing transmission, engine runs rough, loses power, catalytic converter runs red hot but only receiving one DTC, P0341, indicating a faulty camshaft position sensor. I have replaced the camshaft position sensor, although the old one tested fine as well as the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced the ignition coil as well. All 4 cyls are firing, but slightly intermittent as checked with a timing light. Any thoughts? What else can I check and how? Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco

Hmmm.... That's a pickle...

Did you disturb the main engine harness during any of this, is there a possibility that when something got plugged in, that a pin in a connector bent over out of place?

I'm just trying to see if I can spark(lol) you into thinking of any possibility you might not have.. All I can do from here..

Did the trans come out of an identical car? Is there a chance of a problem there?
Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Any pinched wires between the engine and transmission bellhousing? Mainly on the passenger side, that's where the engine harness meets the body/chassis harness. May be worth undoing those connectors cleaning them and reinstalling.

Also did the ground get hooked back up by the starter?

I would be chasing the wires for the cam position sensor all the way back, even if it requires undoing the wire loom. Look for wires that have been chaffed, pulled out of the pins or pins pulled out of the connector block.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Transmission: at

Let the car run at idle so the computer can do a "hand shake" with the sensors....
This happened to me with an older car I had... run for ever fine, one day I had to unplug the battery and after I repluged the battery it run horribly... at the moment it did not make sense, since I did nothing to the engine it self.... well I let the car running to call a friend, after about 15 minutes I went back to my car, and it was running better, let it idle for a few more minutes and it fixed it self.

Asked a mechanic friend, and he said, it is common for older cars to loose the ECU MAPS once it is unplug.... in other words, the ECU doesn't know who is who, what sensor does what and so forth, so after you let it run, the ECU does a hand-shake with all the sensors, but it isn't a fast ECU, almost like an old 80086 processor against a pentium.... so let it run a bit more and it will fix it self.
hope it helped.
peruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Default an oscilloscope

Check the crank and cam shafts sensors with an oscilloscope. Since few people have an oscilloscope go to a shop that has one and knows how to use it. Sure you just replaced the sensor and the Ohm meter readings were the same. However, that doesn't mean the ECM is seeing it and so far it doesn't look like the computer even knows its there.
Easy Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)