Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2007 forester slight oil leak

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ldutton6 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2007 Forester that My uncle gave me for my birthday. It has 180,000 miles and runs very good. But it has a slight oil leak around the head gaskets. Very small.

Can:

1. The gaskets seep oil after sometime in the life of the gaskets already being replaced leak again but not cause a problem?

2. Will a Subaru 2.5liter reach 180,000 miles on original gaskets?

#4 · (Edited)
... 2007 Forester... 180,000 miles... slight oil leak around the head gaskets... Can:
1. The gaskets seep oil after sometime in the life of the gaskets already being replaced leak again but not cause a problem?
2. Will a Subaru 2.5liter reach 180,000 miles on original gaskets?
Head gasket leaks are normal in the pre-2011 non-turbo engines, due to the open-deck head design, and only grow worse. A little external seepage is not a problem. The problems arise from internal passing of oil into coolant, coolant into oil, and combustion gasses into coolant. The last is the worst, as it causes coolant loss that can cause overheating.

The original single layer gaskets inevitably leak between 50-100,000 miles. If they are replaced with the same kind of gaskets, they will leak again, usually in even less miles. The original gaskets will never last 180,000 miles.

When the original gaskets leak, dealers will only warrant repairs that use the Subaru non-turbo engine gasket set, which contains the same single layer head gaskets. And the warranty is only for a year, which is not many miles.

In fact, dealers are not permitted to warrant any permanent head gasket repair, which requires the use of multi-layer steel (MLS) head gaskets.

Examples of MLS are:
1. Subaru's own turbo head gasket. Not warranted by Subaru for use in non-turbo engine.
2. Fel-Pro 26415-PT head gasket.
3. Six-Star Stopper head gasket.

Therefore, for the longest lasting head gasket job, one should go to an independent Subaru shop. There must be many good ones around you in NH.

#5 ·
I see your new to the forum, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

If you're going to live with the leak... seeping for awhile, some members have been able to slow the leak by adding the Subaru recommended coolant conditioner. Not a fix, but could give you a little more time. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#6 ·
Thanks guys! I am new to the forums but not to subis. This is our 4th. My dad blew up a 1998 which was maintained very well but the coolant got the best of the bottom end. The 2nd was a 1999 Forester that ran great but the rear sub frame rotted and was beyond repair. The next was a 2002 outback and that also got the infamous sub frame rust that crept of VERY fast. One year it was good the next after a harsh winter it seemed washing the car all the time never could get that sub frame to be clean. I sold that as well.

Then my uncle said he is buying a truck and said hey its great just don't want it so here you go. So, I now have a 2007 forester...lol.

Car is very clean and runs mint. I am going to get under there and brake clean all that oil that might be around the gasket and exhaust and then see how bad it is. It has 185k but you know subis runs great until KABOOOM or silence and perfection. :laugh::smile2:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.