2.5 engine interchange - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2.5 engine interchange

Assuming for a minute that my 99 Forester engine knock is something bigger than a "cold temp problem", I've seen people post about putting newer 2.5 engines in from wrecked donors. Exactly what range of 2.5 engines are compatible with the 99? Are there ECU or wiring changes required with use of a newer engine in an older car?

I do remember reading that there was a change in engine between 98 and 99, is there a reference for when in the VIN range that engine changed or was it a model year thing? In VW world, things change in the middle of the US model year so VIN is key to sorting out what engine you have. Maybe Subaru is different?

I know of a Forester of the same vintage as mine with a dead engine that has been traded in at the Sube dealer and will be left to rot that could be gotten cheap. I was thinking of picking it up as a donor for interior parts and other bits as well as a potential engine for rebuild, I just wanted to be sure how to verify it has the 'correct' or compatible engine.

TIA

Joe
888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001

The trick is to swap the short-block. Just unbolt everything from the dead engine and bolt it back up to a newer more recent short-block. The 1998 DOHC is a phase I engine, The 99 and up is a phase II SOHC. The only thing that changed between the phase I and II engine is the thrust bearing placement for the crankshaft.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 1999

Thanks for the info.
888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Delete...
Td
wtdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2004
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck_this View Post
The trick is to swap the short-block(long block). Just unbolt everything from the dead engine and bolt it back up to a newer more recent short-block(long block). The 1998 DOHC is a phase I engine, The 99 and up is a phase II SOHC. The only thing that changed between the phase I and II engine is the thrust bearing placement for the crankshaft.
Just for clarification, a short block is without heads, and a long block is with heads. You can use the long block from just about any phase 2 2.5 SOHC. You need to use your intake and exhaust manifolds, sensors, and cam gears from your car though. The cam triggers moved around from time to time even within the same model year.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Just for clarification, a short block is without heads, and a long block is with heads. You can use the long block from just about any phase 2 2.5 SOHC. You need to use your intake and exhaust manifolds, sensors, and cam gears from your car though. The cam triggers moved around from time to time even within the same model year.
Exactly why i stated short block. You take the existing heads slap them on so the intake fits with all the crap from the car. Slamming in a SOHC engine into a DOHC won't work
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)