User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When to deactivate traction control?

My 09 Forester has a button to deactivate the traction control in so called "certain situations". What situations would I maybe want to deactivate the traction control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Gallery: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmemin View Post
My 09 Forester has a button to deactivate the traction control in so called "certain situations". What situations would I maybe want to deactivate the traction control?
If you want to spin your tires and cause a 'smoky burnout' when street racing you should disable it. Also someone can correct me if wrong here but I think at speeds above 30 mph or so it does not engage anyway. Also I think if you get stuck in mud or snow with the system on you will have a hard time rocking the car back and forth to get out.

1998 Forester ATF

Keepin It Forever....
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS MT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you get stuck in snow/mud, disengage the traction control.

Dash: '03 XS MT
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
When you need to rock the car to get yourself unstuck.

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Check pp. 7-27 thru 7-29 of your OM.
Steve
09 2.5X AT
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok that doesn't make much sense. If the whole idea of the traction control is that it gives traction to the tires that need it most shouldn't it help most when you are stuck in deep snow or mud? I am just curious to really understand what is going on. Thanks for the reference to the owners manual. I should have sone that first I guess.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Forum Member

If you need to dig with the tires in order to get traction, shut off traction control. this is most often the case when you are severely stuck. If you are making any headway, you probably want to leave it on.

When you are trying to blast through something like a snow drift or a steep snowy hill, you may want to turn off the traction control so that you can keep momentum.

Sometimes when Making a U-turn on wet, slippery pavement you will find the outside tire spins and the traction control retards the throttle making it hard to accelerate fast. This can be a problem with rapidly approaching oncoming traffic.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok yeah those situations make a lot of sense. Thanks
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: AT
My business partner had a rental Jeep Liberty (4wd of course) and got "stuck" in a bit of a dip on a logging road as the traction control retarded the throttle so much due to perceived wheel slip that he could not get out of the dip and needed a push from a passing pickup. And with no owners manual on board, he did not know how to turn off the TC.

For those of us who drive a lot on gravel or snow packed bush roads, we often will disable the TC so as to prevent such an incident as he had. I have found over the last few years that the TC as implemented by Chrysler to way too intrusive but Subaru's implementation is just about right. So far, I have never had to turn it off. So far.......

2009 Subaru Forester Touring Edition, AT
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
My business partner had a rental Jeep Liberty (4wd of course) and got "stuck" in a bit of a dip on a logging road as the traction control retarded the throttle so much due to perceived wheel slip that he could not get out of the dip and needed a push from a passing pickup. And with no owners manual on board, he did not know how to turn off the TC.

For those of us who drive a lot on gravel or snow packed bush roads, we often will disable the TC so as to prevent such an incident as he had. I have found over the last few years that the TC as implemented by Chrysler to way too intrusive but Subaru's implementation is just about right. So far, I have never had to turn it off. So far.......
I have been pleased that it is not too aggressive. That jeep story is pathetic. I don't turn it off on gravel roads because I have had it work to my advantage to keep me on the road in turns where I start slipping sideways.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman View Post

Heh, you should see the TC on the prius. Cuts power whenever slip is detected and it can't be turned off. Lots of fun with fwd in the snow....take it 2 inches at a time!

TC should be turned off if you need to keep momentum up (usually in deep mud, sand etc), where you're already spinning tires, or if you need to get yourself unstuck and its just not happening with TC on.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester Xi
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
Heh, you should see the TC on the prius. Cuts power whenever slip is detected and it can't be turned off. Lots of fun with fwd in the snow....take it 2 inches at a time!

TC should be turned off if you need to keep momentum up (usually in deep mud, sand etc), where you're already spinning tires, or if you need to get yourself unstuck and its just not happening with TC on.
You are right on this one. My pal has a Prius and hates it in the snow, he said he could not even make it through an intersection that had 2" of snow on the roadway. He said it just transferred power back and forth to the left and right wheels after some hesitation, he finally did manage to inch his way through. Talk about dangerous.

'10 Foz 2.5X Auto, '14 Foz 2.5i CVT
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5x Tour
Had to push a BMW 5 series out of a parking lot a couple of years ago at New Years because the traction control wouldn't allow the wheels to spin. FINALLY I figured out that it was the CAR, not the driver (who didn't speak much English...) that was modulating the throttle, so I reached in, turned off the trac control and all of a sudden all I needed to do was lean against the car to keep it moving. ALL this in about 6 - 8 inches of snow...

He just kept driving once he got out so I'm not sure if his trac control EVER got turned on again...

2010 Forester 2.5X Touring 5 speed (Cdn. Ed.)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Forum Member

Traction control in the 5 Series defaults to on when you restart the car next, so no worries ;-) Hopefully the driver picked up what you did for next time :-)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
The Modfather

Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
In the Blizzard we just had I got my wifes Tribeca stuck in deep snow with an inch of ice underneath. The only way I could get moving again (after some shoveling) with a push from a few guys was to turn off the VDC. This is the true VDC too with the VTD and everything :) I could feel it trying at a few points but eventually it just would not spin a wheel or it intermittently spun various wheels and throttled back on the motor. I thought the motor stalled at a few points but I was down to glare ice w/ the All Season tires. The reason I got stuck in the first place was I had to stop due to a huge drift. When I backed up I had to turn in such a way as to not follow my original tracks and hit another drift. The TC kept digging down to the ice. The conditions were such that in all honestly I should have had tire cables but mine only fit up to 17" wheels and the B9 has 18's First time it ever let me down but it was my own fault.

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.