Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Today's Snow Storm in New Jersey

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mike_n 
#1 ·
I have to say, even with the lousy Yokohama G90 whatever tires on my '14 Subaru, I passed up stuck cars, vehicles off the road on the worst hill we have here in Vernon, New Jersey, called Breakneck Road.

But, have to say, going down earlier today was not as easy as going up. A real white knuckle ride going down this hill, but did make it without crashing into the guard rail. Put in L and pumped the brakes, the anti-lock braking system worked great also preventing going into a major skid or slide off the road.

Going up was much easier even though the road was way more slippery, the traction control light was flashing, but didn't lose grip on the road once as I waved to the guys in the cars that were off the road (only kidding). This is with the stock tires which are wearing really fast especially the outside edges.

Below is a video of Breakneck Road, but it doesn't show justice on how steep this hill is:

#7 · (Edited)
Nice that you took this video. We go up and down Breakneck a few times a week going the the Ice Vault for hockey.

And YES,, having grown up in the Pocono's, this is the worst road I have ever driven in my 40+ year driving.

Many times the local municipality does NOT close it soon enough when it's icy or very slippery.

SORRY ... after looking at the video again, and RE-READING ... I do know where this is in Vernon ( I lived in Warwick NY back in the 80s ). But I do go up Breakneck road between Oakland and Wayne on a regular basis .... much more narrow and steep.

#9 ·
SORRY ... after looking at the video again, and RE-READING ... I do know where this is in Vernon ( I lived in Warwick NY back in the 80s ). But I do go up Breakneck road between Oakland and Wayne on a regular basis .... much more narrow and steep.
Interesting that that there is another Breakneck Road in the area, didn't know that. I do know the Oakland Wayne area and not sure, but I think I know where you are talking about. If you lived in Warwick, NY you must know Barrett Road before they paved it. If interested I will tell you why they paved the road.

#10 ·
Thanks for considering me experienced.

Plead, one of the administrators on here, said the Yokohama Geolander G91 tires are known to wear on the edge. Evidently one of the flaws of the tire.

The tires on my vehicle are wearing evenly and I have them rotated and balanced every 7500 miles and I always keep them at the inflation pressure noted on on the side of the door.

The problem is excessive even wear on the edges of the tires.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.