Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Sleeping in the back! (merged thread)

(All Years) 
1M views 560 replies 289 participants last post by  ForesterTheGrey 
G
#1 ·
I like to go on long road trips and camp. I almost never stay in motels, except if it's really high end. Even then, only for a night or two after a week of camping.

I wuz wundering... anyone else sleep in the back with the seats folded down? I feel like a dork doing that, but if all I need is a place to crash for 6 hours or so, it's great. I'm 5'8 and sleeping diagnally is fine with regards to length. Beats paying $50 for a crappy Motel 6.

Oh yeah, travelling alone too. Although two might work, if you really, really like each other..

Can you remove the rear seats? At least the folding part? That's crazy..

#537 ·
upgraded my car camping setup in my 2011 Forester.
No-See-Um netting with 2” ribbon sewn around the border, then use a couple dozen neodymium magnets to hold them down over the rear windows and moonroof.

i played with a couple different designs, including an insert that would fit into the read window track, but that then limits you to only ever having the window fully open. screens on the exterior allow you to roll them up to the desired amount.

Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Car

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Gesture

#539 ·
Might as well add my setup to this thread. Nothing ground breaking here and it follows many of the themes people have done.

View attachment 584186
View attachment 584187
View attachment 584188
View attachment 584189
View attachment 584190
I've taken plenty of inspiration from this thread and made my own solution, but I never went with a full on sleeping platform because I hated the idea of having limited access to the spare tire well. Your design looks to overcome that obstacle similar to how I use my cot but it also adds a little table for you which I find pretty cool and convenient!

May I know what that leg support is called or where you found it?

#540 ·
This is my setup. I use a DeepSleep Overland brand self inflating mattress for my bed, shaped like a luno and way more comfortable. For ventilation, I use window vents from Visual Autowerks for my '22 forester with 80mm computer style USB fans attached to them via magnets.

@zcrow Been thinking about building a small platform myself, yours looks really good! Happen to have any plans that you made that you can share?

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Rectangle Font Pattern Wood Electric blue

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Window Automotive lighting

#542 ·
This is my setup. I use a DeepSleep Overland brand self inflating mattress for my bed, shaped like a luno and way more comfortable. For ventilation, I use window vents from Visual Autowerks for my '22 forester with 80mm computer style USB fans attached to them via magnets.

@zcrow Been thinking about building a small platform myself, yours looks really good! Happen to have any plans that you made that you can share?

View attachment 584310

View attachment 584311

View attachment 584312
Hi and thanks. It is a pretty simple design but unfortunately I don't have any actual paper or digital plans for it. The platform itself is 3/4" birch plywood, 2' wide. The supports underneath to level it out are 2x4's. I basically made sure that the car was level and then used a long carpenter's level to find the point where the platform was level with the front of it laying on the folded down back seat. I then measured the height needed for the vertical support at the very back, and then the height at the front of the support (there is a slight slope to the cut 2x4. I moved the front passenger seat all the way forward and measured the maximum length I could build the platform. I added a slight dog-leg cut at the hatch end so I could maximize the length and contour to the hatch. Likely it could have just been a little bit shorter and straight and that would have worked just fine. The slide out table top is 1/2" plywood and just sits in a channel cut into the 2x4 supports. It slides really easily. I used a bolt (no nut) to act as a stop for when it is out and when it is in to keep it from moving around. I also added in a stop under the platform so that the table top stops flush with the hatch end when closed. The tripod leg is optional, especially if the table top is long enough so it is well supported under the platform. I added the tripod leg just in case to keep it supported so I didn't have to worry about accidentally leaning on it and then tipping the entire platform up and the objects on the table sliding off. The platform is just covered in the cheapest carpet I could find. I used contact cement and some staples where necessary. For the head piece, just attached with a piano hinge and used a piece of 1" nylon webbing with a buckle so it could be adjusted and leveled with the rest of the platform. It turns out that I didn't need to make that notch for the center consule cover, however it does help if you want to open the cover when the platform is in place and allows the lid to open without hitting the platform. That's about it.

#543 · (Edited)
My current setup
  • Hest mattress and camp pillow (so worth the price)
  • Cut up some interlocking floor mats to help level things out
  • Folding 'desk' that ended up being a perfect platform between the front and rear seats
    • Rests on center console and a bungee on the other side just to help out (using a slightly longer one now)
    • Added another notch to one of the posts on the rear center head rest to keep it from sliding down under the weight
  • Cargo cover + shower curtain + traction boards = shelf (it is secured while driving)
  • Ceiling net
  • Window nets + weathertech shades
  • 120mm fan and duct to pull air out of the vehicle, has helped with condensation (fan pulling in from other side)

Adding an awning, storage box, and hitch this weekend!

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Grey Vehicle door Motor vehicle Trunk
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Window

Wood Camera lens Rectangle Material property Automotive tire
Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

#544 ·
@jpfrstr,
I imagine seeing you get in and out of bed with that shelf in the way is pure comedy. I ended up going with a low profile cot which gives a little space underneath to store a few items.

I like your window fan idea. I've had a few ideas like this fly through my head on those super hot nights. How well did it work compared to just screen windows and fans inside?

#545 · (Edited)
@Benny_Squach,

My mattress is low enough that is actually pretty easy. I enter through the driver side rear door and sit in the seat like normal, then just scoot/swing my legs in and use the 'oh poop' handles. I'm 6'2 and am totally comfortable in there.

I do have another rechargeable fan to keep things cooler, the other fan/duct is more to just get air out and help with condensation. But, the combo of having multiple windows cracked and both those fans seems to be doing the trick for sure.

EDIT: lol it auto-edited my description of the grab handles

#546 ·
Howdy folks,
My son is in the market for a new or lightly used car with AWD and mild off pavement capabilities. It will be replacing his 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. One of things he really likes about the Jeep is when the rear seats are folded down, it's a pretty good place to sleep, i.e. flat and long enough he fits inside with the tail gate down. I'm wondering if anyone has experience sleeping in the back of a Forester or other Subaru? I have a 2023 Forester and it seems a little short and the rear seats don't fold down flat enough to make a comfortable sleeping area. Maybe there are work arounds to that that aren't apparent to me. My Forester is 1000 miles from him so he can't check it out easily.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff Jones

#547 · (Edited)
I have slept in the back and thought it uncomfortable. 5ft. 8in and the area too short...I pushed the front passenger seat forward and seatback forward. I will try it again. Next time an air mattress and pillow would help. I had an 86 Ford F150 long bed with a shell and it was really good.... miss that truck but it was falling apart.

#552 ·
@Jeff Jones An Outback would probably be the best Subie to sleep in. Definitely more room to stretch out for taller folks. The one I'd avoid if sleeping in it is a priority would be the Ascent. The rear of the cargo area is several inches higher than the rest due to the compartment the 3rd seat folds into.

#557 ·
I've got a 4" down filled air mattress and you definitely will not in any way feel a small bump from the hinge. I've slept in my car many times. I think the assumption here is that you aren't actually sleeping on the platform but have some foam or an air mattress on top of the platform. The hinge will not be an issue.

#555 ·
Being able to sleep in the back was a big requirement for me. This is probably the second best vehicle I've had for that. (Best was the Honda Element but mine was getting old and $$$!) Yes, the rear seats don't exactly fold flat but it's also not so much that it can't be worked with. Lots of people build platforms. For my last two trips I've kept it simple.

I am usually traveling solo so I can pull the front passenger seat up a ways and have it line up in sightline of the B-pillar and just leave it there. I fill the footwell behind it with storage containers and/or a cooler to be level with the seatback folded down. I use a folded foam mattress and yoga mat to level out the rear. Then I throw a 3" exped self inflating mattress over all of it and it's pretty much level. Some of the best sleep I've ever had on the road.

Doing this, I can layout comfortably with the tailgate closed. (I'm 5'10") If I'm some place where I don't have to be discreet or worry about weather, I have a tailgate tent (Napier Sportz Cove, large version, do not get the small on the newer Foresters.) that I can use to open the space more. I just miss the Element's headroom while sitting in bed.

#558 ·
OK, but I was thinking about cutting my sleeping bag or mattress on the hinge. That's why I said no hinges.... sharp edge.
I just measured MY2010, and looks like I have 5ft 8 in. of room......and that's how tall I am.
Maybe the later models are a bit longer.

#559 ·
I haven't tried it yet, but during my trips, I usually carry a lot of items in the car and bring a tent along. Setting up a tent is often simpler than unloading all the belongings from the car. The convenience of pitching a tent outweighs the hassle of unpacking, making it a preferred choice for me while traveling, given the packed car. Actually, sleep time is really very necessary not for our health but the beauty and your skin trendybeauti.ae.

#561 ·
Yeah, I'm the same as JessD. This started with my Honda Element days, carried into my Mazda 3 and now the Forester. Sleeping area is ALWAYS set-up. Need to stop for the night, pretty much ready to go. Want a quick nap during the day? Ready to go. Window coverings and bug screens as conditions call for. Tailgate Sportzcove tent can be added but not necessary as conditions call for. Sometimes I'm in a campsite for a relaxed bit of time. Sometimes I'm trying to make time to get out to that said place and only want a quick overnight stealth camp and get going again in the morning. So having that space designated helps a lot for both.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.