Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

SJ XT - Suspension issues answered...Hopefully!?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sam101200 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Rebooting an old thread on rectifying "harsh", "bouncy", "figgity", "firm" suspension issue. I can't find a definitive answer on forums. Feedback on all successful and failed attempts would be great.

The brief is -

- Maintain ride height
- How effective was changing JUST oem tyres?
- Replacing springs vs. spring/strut combo
- (Personally) no coilovers

Go...:smile2:

#4 ·
I have a 2015 SJ XT Premium and the ride was very stiff.

I just got scolded badly by a bunch of Brits in another post on this forum on this topic, but my fix as so far made an amazing difference. And from researching around the web on the topic, it is NOT dangerous and in fact is done quite often even for on- road.

I disconnected the rear sway bar.

#5 ·
Interesting feedback guys.

Car delivered with 'unloaded' pressures

A (MY11 WRX 19mm) swaybar was something I was looking at down the track to improve bodyroll once I've sorted the stiff ride

But, for now I know the factory Geo tyres have to go - I've only done 5000km. Just wondering if anyone has done a spring swap with a more progressive coil.

#10 ·
To eliminate harshness, I am now running 32/30 psi instead of 33/32 on the crappy Bridgestone Duellers now, and it makes a big difference. People who have changed to Goodyear Efficientgrip SUV tires also say that it makes a big difference. To eliminate the car being jittery, you'd probably have to disconnect the sway bars, which I'm not willing to do. You may think it's fine until you need to do an emergency maneuver at highway speeds with such a tall and top heavy SUV.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.