Road Noise? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: x
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Road Noise?

Just went from a 2009 2.5X to a 2.5X prem w/all weather pkg. I had the 09 for 14 months. Ride was better in the 09. Is it the roof rails or different tires contributing to the inferior comfort of my new subie? The noise sounds like when ride with only your back windows open, but not as loud. Has anyone else had this experience.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

couple things, do you have snow tires? they are a lot louder, next check your tire pressure, are the roof rails on right? and on their own, installed right they will add some sound as well

ps you soooooo stole my name, i even spell it with a ph too
FPT_RAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car Model: x
Default Road Noise?

thanks for the reply. Tires are stock, not snows. Only have roof rails, no cross bars installed. I'll check the tire pressure in the morning.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester

Hi, just wanted to add to this because I have a similar problem. I have a 09 Forester Limited and have wind noise coming from my driver side door. It feels like driving with your door adjar. Not something you would expect in a Limited mode.

I've complained about it and the dealership is finally going to try and change the door and window seal to see if that would make a difference.

The manager of the dealership told me the rust proofing I got probably reduced the wind noise a lot in my Forester.

The wind noise in the 2011 loaner Forester that was given to me was worse than mine. The minute you start driving off the noise appears and gets louder the faster you go.

I'm beginning to believe this is a design issue in all the 09 and up Foresters. So frustrating and disappointing.
superfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfeet View Post
... 09 Forester Limited and have wind noise coming from my driver side door... wind noise in the 2011 loaner Forester that was given to me was worse than mine... I'm beginning to believe this is a design issue in all the 09 and up Foresters. So frustrating and disappointing.
Until 2008, Foresters had frameless windows. People naturally pushed on the corner of a window to open and close the doors. Who would think to reach down and push on the door?

This pushing on the corner of the glass leveraged and loosened the frameless windows in their door tracks and front gussets. The windows no longer pressed tight against the rubber seals. There was wind noise from the windows at speed. People then expanded the window seals by pressing vinyl tubing into their folds.

In 2009 Subaru redesigned the Forester. One of the changes was framed windows, with metal window frames that pressed tightly against the rubber seals.

This is the design issue that you speak of. It was meant to eliminate the wind noise from loose window glass.

My 2008 is still free of wind noise at high speed. I am the only occupant, and have never touched the window to use the door. The glass still presses tight against the seals.

However, tire noise was a problem when new. After 3500 miles I sold off the OEM Geolandars and replaced them with Michelin Primacy. That solved that problem.
vintage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
Until 2008, Foresters had frameless windows. People naturally pushed on the corner of a window to open and close the doors. Who would think to reach down and push on the door?

This pushing on the corner of the glass leveraged and loosened the frameless windows in their door tracks and front gussets. The windows no longer pressed tight against the rubber seals. There was wind noise from the windows at speed. People then expanded the window seals by pressing vinyl tubing into their folds.
ah great.. i'm one of those people. any idea what size rubing people are using?

also i'm wonder if the insulation is thinner for the forester. kinda comparing this car to luxury vehicles where I cant even heard any road noise
ziggie216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

These fixes for pre-2009 frameless windows do not apply to your framed windows:
Solved window wind noise!
How To: Replace Window Gussets

Foresters don't have any sound deadening. There are threads on adding adhesive sound deadening mats in the doors and body panels. Here's just one - search for many more:
Sound dampening products

Edit:
1. If your 2009 really has wind noise from side windows, keep on the dealer to fix it.
2. If you have road noise, consider a quieter tire like Michelin Primacy. They stopped my road noise.
3. If want to reduce road noise and keep your OEM tires, sound deadening will help, but is difficult and expensive to pay for. But many will say it is easy to do it yourself, to take your doors and rear quarter panels and hatch apart to install the lead adhesive mats.
The Forester cannot be compared to those "luxury vehicles where I cant even heard any road noise".

Last edited by vintage42; 04-08-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Kept adding
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfeet View Post
...The manager of the dealership told me the rust proofing I got probably reduced the wind noise a lot in my Forester...
How perceptive of him ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum