Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Moving On!

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Rand 
#1 ·
Last week I took my 2006 Forester X with 235,000 km (145,000 miles) to the nearby dealer (local dealer had no stock) for a trade on a new 2015 Forester. I told the salesmen, as long as he made it look like I was getting a deal, I'd be good with it. Got offered $1000 trade in on a new Forester for list price! (Took my 1998 Honda Civic to the wreckers a few weeks ago and got $300 for it!!)
So far I'm happy with my new 2015 Honda CR-V. ($2000 trade in and discount off of list price) I don't expect to have the same off road performance as the Subaru, but I'm sure it will be worth something when it's time to part with it.

I told the Subaru salesman, why should I buy a Subaru when it doesn't hold resale value. He had no answer for me....

Other than the head gasket issue I still love Subarus, Subaru dealers, not so much!!!

#5 ·
You changed from a Forester to a Honda CR-V because of a difference of $ 1000?
Hmmm...
Having driven a Forester for such a long time and for so many miles as you did you most problably will regret your change from the Forester to the Honda CR-V, especially if you want to use your CR-V for off-roading, be it only for "light" off-roading.
Look this topic: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f100/2015-honda-cr-v-fails-awd-test-magazine-claims-fwd-car-402050/index10.html

Nevertheless I wish you always a safe journey with your Honda CR-V.

#8 ·
Good luck with your new vehicle. Trade-in value has a lot to do with someone's purchasing decisions. A lot of this has to do with the local dealers. I would not buy my Subaru from the local dealer because they would not price match. Lucky for me there are 6 dealers within a 60 mile radius.

I know a person who loved their Subaru however, it needed a head gasket job she decided to get another vehicle. The local Toyota dealer offer a larger trade-in value then the Subaru dealer so she ended up with a Camry.

#9 ·
I got offered $500 at the dealer for my 02 L. I said nope. Turned around and sold it for $800 two weeks later. Moral of the story, shop around.
Good luck with your CR-V. Hondas in general are pretty reliable, I just wouldn't want to get into a crash with one. And their AWD system isn't as good as a Subaru. I got up my hill no problem in Third gear. The 09 or 10 Cr-V my neighbor has didn't. But don't worry, I have my tow strap if I see you stuck. She needed it.

#10 ·
Good luck with your CR-V. Hondas in general are pretty reliable, I just wouldn't want to get into a crash with one.
The 2015 CR-V design has been revised to do better in the new crash test, though I don't think they have an official test result yet. I'm guessing either 2015 model has to be safer in a crash than the 2006.

And, yeah, when we were buying, Honda were more eager to make a deal than Subaru. But that was the 2014 CR-V, which they were just starting to clear out of the lot before the 2015 arrived.

#11 ·
I might have tried another Subaru dealer, but wot the hey....my first Honda was a 1963 Sport Cub and it was a great little bike. I have had, shall I say, a few Hondas since then and had have never ever been disappointed. Enjoy your new ride!

Having said that, I'm very much infatuated with my '15 Premium and so far am impressed with the dealer.

Have fun!

#12 ·
Honda are great vehicles, but very very boring to drive. Talk to those on here who have the '15 Forester XT.

Not sure if you live in a snowy area, but Foresters will out drive a Honda in any snow storm.

Sometimes you gotta give a little more to get a little more.

#13 ·
^^ Tony....now those of us with 14' F-XT's feel left out...

Why does this thread feel like a mild flogging to the OP for purchasing a CRV over a Forester. There is nothing wrong with Honda....I had a Honda as my first car and I drove 139,000 miles with nothing but an alternator go (and it gave me plenty of warning so I was able to get to the dealer without being stranded)......as far as the CRV...I personally wouldn't be caught in one unless I had no choice (my brother in law has one and it is very.....boring....and I am being generous here)...It is an A to B vehicle.......forget about CDEF and so on......but if that is what the OP likes.....I'm sure he will be fine with it......

#14 ·
It's your money, your decision in the end. I'm not going to give you flack for the decision but I'm not necessarily going to be giving you high fives either. Your old Forester was actually worth about $5-6k at that milage for decent condition on the private market.

Enjoy your new vehicle regardless though.

#15 ·
Honestly, if you want a reasonably sized vehicle that won't need a lot of maintenance and has plenty of goodies, and you don't need the best AWD system, the CR-V is a pretty good deal. There's a reason it won the Motor Trend SUV of the year award after the Forester did last year.

After the snow today, I'm glad we bought the Forester instead, but we don't get many days like today in a year.

#16 ·
No Honda CR-V, I repeat it, no one - never mind which model year - can beat a Forester - also never mind which model year - for off-roading and also while real snowy winter weather.

Own experiences aquired during 7 years by comparing my two own Foresters and two Honda-CR-Vs of hunting friends.

No one of the two hunting friends purchased again a Honda CR-V.
One drives a new Forester now, the other one drives since two years a VW Tiguan.
Are there any further words necessary?

#17 ·
I still love Subarus, I just don't own one right now....There was some urgency to replacing the Forester, it is mainly my wife's car and she had developed a strong dislike for it. I have a 4wd pickup truck that I use for most of my driving.
This would have been my 3rd Subaru, buying the last 2 at the local dealer was not a pleasant experience, and the nearby dealer this time was worse!
The Honda buying experience was 180 degrees from the Subaru, it was almost enjoyable!
In October I drove my 1998 Honda Civic to the wreckers. (I had purchased new). It had 439,000 km (273000 miles) on it and had been a fabulous car.
When It is time to part company with my 1997 Chev pickup, I will probably replace it with a used Forester!

#20 ·
i wish i got the CR-V mainly for the more comfortable seats. i can only drive my Forester with a folded up towel covering the left bolster and then a gel seat cushion. my 215lbs weight bottoms out the bolster and my thigh contacts the frame resulting in nerve tingling, knee pain, and lower leg pain. i do not have this problem even in my 13 yr old civic and certainly don't have it in a CR-V. i have a laundry list of other pet peeves too with my Forester but all in all they are minor and can be addressed. the CR-V is a more refined on-road vehicle in pretty much every way and can handle snow pretty well. just not as much snow and not in the same driving fashion. what i have noticed about my Forester is that due to the ground clearance and AWD i can plow through snow on the street very well at a much higher rate of speed than the Cr-V

again though, if i could re-do my purchase decision...i would have gone with the CR-V bc i am willing to sacrifice capability for the ability to sit in the driver's seat without a cushion that constantly has to be adjusted

#21 ·
off topic but why not just swap in a more comfortable seat? or try a different seating position (lower/higher etc)

On topic: We have horrible subaru sales at 4 of the local subaru dealers. I drove 45min one way to buy my last 2 as that dealer has a good sales dept.

The local one I get some service at always asks me why I didnt buy it there.

I reply they weren't serious about selling me one. They also wanted near list price.

Dealer 1 - High pressure sales
Dealer 2 - wont budge on price
Dealer 3 -insulting crappy salesman
Dealer 4 - Lies about whats in stock and prices.

Dealer 5 - Was great.. maybe it was just my salesman but great experience.
2% under invoice no hassles. Good communication.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.