Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Help with harmonic pulley

('03-'05) 
945 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MMAlpine 
#1 ·
Hi,

The other day my power steering belt broke and I picked up a new one as well as a new A/c belt. When I went to change them, I noticed something that looked odd - it looks as if my harmonic pulley is not right. I just Inherited this car from my father who took care of it by the book (2004 forester). In looking at the pulley, it looks like someone may have installed the wrong one, or out it on backwards. Instead of the pulley being flush with the timing belt covers, there is a lip between the covers and the main thread of the pulley where the belt should sit - this means I can't line up the pulley with the tensioning pulley if I put the belt on the correct location - instead the belt sits on the lip and the tensioner won't tighten enough to engage the a/c belt. The alternator belt fits but again the area it should sit on in the harmonic pulley is thinner than it should be (this is the fatter belt). I ended up putting on the alternator/ps belt but left off the a/c belt because of the funkness. Can any let me know your thoughts?
My father did have the timing belts and the head gaskets replaced about 20k ago.

I have a photo but can't seem to place it anywhere on this forum

Thanks
Marty

See less See more
#2 ·
If your post count isn't high enough it may not allow you to attach a photo to your posting. A moderator should be able to override that if you email one.

As for your issue, the crank pulley/harmonic dampener is made of a few parts and a rubber dampening layer, its entirely possible that the layers have separated.

#3 ·
Thanks. I think I was able to upload two pics to the VB Image host:

I keep getting this when I try to upload here:
"To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts."

Can anyone give me the access I need to post photos?

#4 ·
As for your issue, the crank pulley/harmonic dampener is made of a few parts and a rubber dampening layer, its entirely possible that the layers have separated.
Do you know if the ribbed pulleys are somehow slipped over some sort of hub? If that's the case, they could have slipped forward which left the lip at the back.

#7 ·
It does look a little out of place. 1st thing I would do, is remove and inspect it, making sure the whole pulley hasn't separated from itself. You can put a breaker bar and 22mm socket on the crank bolt, brace the bar against the ground, and turn the key for JUST A SECOND, not enough to start the car, just enough to break that bolt free. Then you should be able to wiggle that pulley out to inspect it

*depending on your socket size, sometimes its hard to fit a socket in there. Remove the radiator fans for easier access (just undo a couple electrical connectors at the bottom, and remove the few screws going across the top)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.