Does new Foresters not lock door automatically? (Merged thread) - Page 4 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: fxt A/T
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

^^^Over simplification. It's a natural human reaction to want to blame a complex problem on such a simple social standing. I don't think it has any bearing sorry.
scubadoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

LOL. Don't be sorry. I was trying to interject humor into an obviously hot topic that's of no real technical value whatsoever.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: fxt A/T

This whole discussion just seems way over the top. Just lock the door! No one is saying don't lock your doors if it makes you feel fuzzy go for it. It just comes down to laziness. They are just claiming safety because the argument would be ridiculous otherwise. Totally agree no technical value.
scubadoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #49 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Glad to to be the source of a hot topic.

I am over the fact that the car does not autolock, it will just take a little getting used to.

However I learned that what I thought is necessary and the majority (locking cars while in drive) is actually the minority in real life. Learn something new everyday.

Door locks are definitely a security feature, not a safety feature. If it comes down to someone needing to rescue you from your car, it would most likely mean the vehicle is in bad shape, thus rendering the difference of a locked car vs an unlocked car useless. Unless Subaru uses NASA indestructible glass on their windows.

I assume everything invented has their purpose in life, although a lock might prove that theory wrong.

Thanks for those that responded with the fact that remote engine start does not include auto-lock feature, saved me some money.

My friend who works as a tech at BMW told me most cars with an alarm system will have the auto-lock feature. He was surprised that the Forester does not even though it has an alarm system. I am going to put the alarm to use tonight and see if it actually works.
Mr Veggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: manual
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Veggies View Post
Since leaving my door locked during drive is a safety measure for me, the auto-lock becomes a convenience thing as I might forget to lock the doors since it has been done for me for the last 13 years. Just can't fathom the fact that something provided by Ford and Chevy is not provided by Subaru
Maybe because Subaru are a bit smarter than Ford and Chevy and realize that they are giving their customers a choice - you can lock or leave unlocked. With Ford and Chevy there is no choice.

And you can see from the above posts that most would like to have the choice.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester

This is one of the funniest threads ever!
hoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:19 AM   #52 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester LL Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoadie View Post
This is one of the funniest threads ever!
I have to agree. I've been reading this one for a few days now. I have probably locked my doors less than ten times in over 30 years of driving. It just isn't necessary where we live. I am thinking that our answers are based on how we are brought up, where we live, convenience, or our level of paranoia.

I am thrilled that my Subaru does not have automatic locks. I find them to be one of the most annoying features on a car when I am in it.
wilbmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #53 (permalink)

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
I have to agree. I've been reading this one for a few days now. I have probably locked my doors less than ten times in over 30 years of driving. It just isn't necessary where we live. I am thinking that our answers are based on how we are brought up, where we live, convenience, or our level of paranoia.

I am thrilled that my Subaru does not have automatic locks. I find them to be one of the most annoying features on a car when I am in it.
I've only ever locked my doors when my female passengers insist on it. Most don't.

I think paranoia is getting out of control, and as I think someone said earlier - a locked door isn't going to stop a gun being pointed at you.
hoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #54 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
It bothers me knowing there is a possibility that I can accidently pull the door open while driving, fly out of my vehicle while the door opens while on the highway at 70mph.
This is a legitimate concern? Really?

First, is it actually possible to ACCIDENTALLY open the door while driving? Second, it is outstandingly difficult to open a door above 30mph, and even harder to open it enough to just "fall out". I can honestly say that I have never heard of that happening; A driver just accidentally falling out of their car on the highway.

If you are concerned about flying out of the vehicle at 70mph, perhaps buckling your seatbelt should be a priority above locking your doors.

Personally, I don't care. I lock them sometimes, other times not.

My wife's VW has a nice feature. It auto-locks the doors when you start moving, but a handle pull unlocks and another pull opens. I could live with that.

In the Suburban we rented to go to nashville, you could configure the auto-door-locks from the info-center.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #55 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: VW GTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
...Unless Subaru uses NASA indestructible glass on their windows...
Yo, the NASA glass is a JDM only option, yo! j/k

Yes, I see the irony NASA /= JDM :)

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC
problemcat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: my05 xs luxury
Transmission: manual
Default interesting comments

Hi this is an interesting thread to read. What started out about whether it is possible or not suddenly we are talking about a lot of paranoia out there. My mother has a Volkswagen Jetta and you can set what speed or not for the doors to lock, when you want to get out you pull on the handle twice to get the door open. In an accident the doors automatically unlock.
As for Subarus which have very few modern convenience features to write home about, arent we forgetting the basics, I have a 2005 XS Luxury [australia] model. I can lock all the doors from the drivers door by pushing a button and the passenger can over-ride this and unlock their doors by manually unlocking their own door by [un] pushing the button. Simple. In an accident I think all you have to do is force open a window enough to push the manual button or smash the glass, and would anyone know if the doors are locked are they disarmed by the ABS or Airbags going off.

Subaru is lazy and treat the forester as a work vehicle and dont spend any money on listening to the customer for what they want in their vehicles, as most people buy more than one in their driving life, but does that mean we have to go 'after market' to get the things[safety and convenience] that other manufacturers put in as a natural occurrence.

We love the car but bring it into the 21st century as there is a lot of competition for my money out there now. Rant over!
roscored1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #57 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Gallery: 4
Default auto door locks?

was wondering if anyone knew how to make it so the auto door locks lock upon ignition and unlock upon turning off the car?? thanks in advance!
idisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited

Go here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...80/index2.html

I've now merged the threads. We're here already! Thanks for the steer. - Mod

Last edited by bbottomley; 05-25-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Hot09XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #59 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: forester xt

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OMG..I'm stroking my worry beads right now.
I just bought a seat cover made of worry beads

This thread is amazingly ridiculous...You cant accidentally open your door at speed on the freeway and you certainly wouldnt be able to fall out of a moving car 1. because it doesnt have suicide doors and 2. because you have your seatbelt on. -Also, I think it was said, locking your doors wont keep them closed in an accident as the lock mechanism isnt an extra piece of metal over the latch.
I suppose all of this paranioa might prevent gray hair for the guy who cant enjoy driving without locked doors, but I think I have more gray hair from reading all of this. Life inside/outside a car has never been that scary for me...
HBFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #60 (permalink)
Dan
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 12
Car Model: Premium
Transmission: 5-speed

The auto-lock feature locked me out of a rental car about 10 years back. I was up in BFE Canada (west of Winterpeg) and got hit by a big snow and wind storm. I happened to park the rental car, a Pontiac Grand Prix, in the exact wrong spot - the wind blew a ton of snow right onto my rental and the only thing visible was the antenna. Thank goodness for the antenna else the bucket loader clearing the lot would not have noticed the car.

Anyway, I went to get the car and saw this huge Grand Prix-shaped mass of packed white snow. The hotel owner loaned me a shovel so I could dig it out far enough to get to the driver door. I got inside the car, left the door open so I could lean out to see where I was going, fired up the motor, and vainly attempted to back up. No go, obviously, so the bucket loader driver walked over and said we can just pull it out with a chain. Sounds good. I put it in neutral and closed the door with the motor running. Snow removal guy had the car pulled out in a minute or so and I discovered that the doors locked themselves. Yay. With the key in the ignition. Yay. With the motor running. Yay.

I returned the shovel and borrowed a phone book to call a locksmith. About two hours and $80 later (extra charge for crap weather and roads) the car was unlocked.

As you can imagine auto-lock is definitely not a feature I want, and if the Forester had it I'd have been the first to start the "How do I disable this stupid thing" thread. But that's just me.
'09 OB SE, 5spd - mine
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum