Clean and simple add-ons and accessories Ė one personís choices - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Clean and simple add-ons and accessories Ė one personís choices

Clean and simple add-ons and accessories Ė one personís choices

A while back I wrote in to ask other forum members what add-ons and accessories you all would recommend, and I got some good feedback. So to return the favor Iím listing here the choices I made, and why, with some photos. My goal was not to jazz up the look of my Fozzie, or to improve its offroad performance. On the contrary, I wanted to keep the look as clean and uncluttered as possible, while protecting the body and interior over time. And of course I wanted to do this with relatively little expense.

Where I got stuff:
I ended up with a combination of factory and after-market accessories. I got the factory stuff thru Hodges Subaru, a supporter of this website, very easy to deal with and discounted prices. I had a local dealer, Dahl Motors, do the installations. I asked at a couple of body shops and they balked at the subwoofer installation. Dahl saw that as a snap, and they did a very nice job overall for a nice price. Iíll also explain what stuff I didnít add, and why.

INTERIOR
Factory rear cargo tray. Yes, I looked at some nice aftermarket covers. I was attracted by the Hamilton Ultimate Pet Cargoliner, because it covers the entire cargo area. But the sides are already plastic in the Fozzie. The factory liner fits neat, lifting easily with the floor panel to get at the underpanel storage. It also matches the interior color, and is easy to take out and rinse off. And it costs much less, about $60 instead of $275.

Factory floor mats.
I like carpet, but itís hard to keep clean. The Subaru All-Weather floor mats work well, look nice, and are priced competitively, around $50.

Factory Sub-woofer.
The side window tweeters come standard on my XT, and I like both the surround sound and the stereo. But it just didnít have enough bass. The factory sub-woofer is designed for this car, fitting under the driverís seat. I find it adds richness and color in mellow music, and for harder stuff, it adds nice snap on the low end. It did cost over $200, but Dahl only charged $30 to install it, and I figure it will outlast the stereo.

Factory tonneau cover.
Shouldnít this come standard on all models? The rear tinting makes it less necessary, but I still plan to cover the rear compartment on shopping trips.

Factory Auto-Dimming.Mirror with Homelink.
I donít care about the autodimming, but I do like the compass and the garage door openers. I had this added at purchase, for a little under $200.

Not sport pedals.
The STI Metal Pedals came with the XT, but they donít do much for me and in fact, my wife asked if we could cover them up. I wouldnít have purchased them.

EXTERIOR:

Curt trailer hitch.
I need a 2 inch, Class II hitch for my bike carrier. The factory hitch is nice, integrated with the bumper assembly, but costs over $320 plus shipping. Got the Curt hitch for $129 online with free shipping, because other members here said it was a simple installation. I still paid almost $100 to install it, but boy, is it a nice fit. Hardly notice itís there! Check the photos.

Rally Armor mud flaps.
The factory ďsplash guardsĒ are unobstrusive, but donít seem to protect the side finish, which is what I want flaps for. I had a hard time finding suitable flaps at auto shops. The Rally Armors were recommended by both forum members and Hodges. They stick out on the side just enough to protect the finish, but you donít notice them. See the photos. The urethane material washes right off. They cost about $140 for a set, from the manufacturer online, so theyíre not cheap. Iím hoping they pay for themselves in protection. See photo.

Factory body side moldings.
To protect the doors in parking lots, etc., and they look clean. See last photo.

Factory bumper guard.
Besides covering the top ledge of the bumper when loading, these wrap around the top of the bumper to give you a little rear protection too. See photo.

Aftermarket bumper strips and door strips.
I found some rubber bumper guard strips like the factory ones on a clearance table for a dollar. They just disappear on the front end, see photos. I also got those cheap side door edge moldings, in clear vinyl. Water gets in there and looks funny, but theyíre less obtrusive than chrome, and I figure weíre going to open the doors into something sometimes. See photo:

Yakima RailGrab and bars.
These were on sale about $160 at Rack Warehouse, compared to $230 for the round factory bars. The Yakimas work fine and look decent (see photos). I wouldnít say the fit is perfect, tho, and the factory aero bars ($140) might have been a better choice. I plan to leave them off unless Iím using them.

Not clear bra, etc.
I like the idea of the 3M or other clear vinyl coverings and was set to get them until I looked at the cost, almost $1,200 installed for a complete set. I also donít like the look of the ďmustachesĒ or the black vinyl bras, and they donít cover other parts of the car. I think Iíll use a lot of car wax and pay on the back end for any dings. Also, note that Subaru provides a small clear film piece for the front edge of the rear wheel well, discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Not moonroof air deflector.
Just decided it isnít necessary.

Not wheel arch moldings.
Looking at other cars, this didnít seem to be where dings happened, and I donít prefer it for the look.

Not the underspoiler.
Itís not for protection, but for a look I donít want. I donít like the look of the sports grille or STi accessories, either.

Included with the XT are the fog lamps, rear spoiler, and tail pipe covers.
I would definitely have purchased the fog lamps if they werenít standard. I canít say whether the spoiler helps with rear visibility in the rain, since I havenít tried one without it. The spoiler does have a clean look, to me. Even my wife likes the look of the tail pipe covers.

All told, these add-ons and accessories cost me about $1,340. Got the XT for $25,900 at model year end, so the fully accessorized price was $27,240. I think I saved significantly putting these together myself over buying a car with a lot of stuff already included, and I got to choose what I wanted.

Thanks for your help, fellow forum members. Hope this is helpful to somebody else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curt hitch.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	18324   Click image for larger version

Name:	rally armour mud flaps and body side moldings.jpg
Views:	3093
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	18325   Click image for larger version

Name:	factory bumper guard-1.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	18326   Click image for larger version

Name:	yakima railgrab rack.jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	18327  

snowonder
2009 Dark Gray XT Limited

Last edited by snowonder; 07-08-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS MT
The RA flaps look great on the SH. I dig it!

Dash: '03 XS MT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Transmission: 4EAT
Very nice looking Foz, and thanks for all the feedback on the products too!

06 XTL 4EAT 2.5XT-R Yimi Sport Tuned...For Sale
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT
Transmission: CVT
wow nice writeup. I'll be looking into a number of these myself

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
It's coming along nicely.
If you haven't already, you should start a Member's Journal documenting the overall progress... in case you decide to add more down the road

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: automatic
Sounds like you made some great choices. Thanks for the feedback on all the accessories

2010 Forester 2.5X Premium, AT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: AT
Here are the Rally Armour mud flaps and the spray pattern on the side for the vehicle:

They do a very good job on gravel as well, you can hardly hear any hitting the car side or underneath. But pricey, especially coming into Canada.

The rest of your accessories look good too!

2009 Subaru Forester Touring Edition, AT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM
has awakened!

Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderotomy View Post
It's coming along nicely.
If you haven't already, you should start a Member's Journal documenting the overall progress... in case you decide to add more down the road
Very nice & I agree, looks like "Member Journal" material to me!

Bobby..

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

thank you

Thanks for the feedback, people. I found the Member Journal and will start one up there. Think I should just copy or move this to start with?

snowonder
2009 Dark Gray XT Limited
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
has awakened!

Car Model: Forester Sports XT
You can start fresh & link back to this thread. I've been adding links to my write ups in my Members Journal as I make them in their own thread.

Bobby...

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FX Premium 5mt
Nice looking ride!
Beware of the door edge guards, though. Unless they are different than mine, they can trap dirt and scratch your paint. I just allow room and am careful when opening doors.

2010 FX Premium 5MT
AWP Sage Green Metalic
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Haha, I just yell at people to be careful. It's worked for me. :)

Have you used the fog lights yet? I haven't found myself in fog, but otherwise they're pretty useless anyway I find.

'07 X Columbia Ed. 5MT, Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.