Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Blurry Exterior Auto-Dimming Mirror

('14-'18) 
12K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Backlight 
#1 ·
I purchased another Subaru a couple weeks ago, this time a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.0XT. I have the Exterior Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Approach Lighting. My question to everyone is....Has anyone had any problems with the mirrors becoming blurry, or almost having a "double vision" effect? This seems to keep happening on only the drivers side mirror, day and night. The weather has also gotten cold in the North East after I purchased the car so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. I was hoping for more insight before I went to the dealer about it. Otherwise, I LOVE this feature....blinded by the over sized mirrors in my Crosstrek before was never fun at night.

Thanks in Advance!

#2 ·
Our Forester also has the auto-dimming, outside mirrors. (They're heated, too, but so far we've rarely used that function.) Neither my wife nor I have seen the problem you describe.

It's been pretty cold here, too, but that hasn't caused any distortion with our mirrors.

Mike

#3 ·
Thanks Mike. I'm glad you brought up the "heated mirror" part. I'll have to pay attention to see if the "double vision" happens when the defrost is on/off. I did notice that the LED approach light changes from bright white to a tan/green color when the heater is on. I'm not sure if that's just mine as well, or if it happens to everyone. So far it seems like all this is just mine. haha.

#5 ·
You're welcome, REN4th! Hmmmm...I don't drive this vehicle very often, but now I'm curious, since both you and GeoJosh (at least occasionally) see something. I'll do some experimenting, too, when I get the opportunity.

Mike

#4 ·
The approach light shines thought the darkened section of glass, so when the mirrors are dimmed, the light is greenish. Not related to the heater.

I have noticed a faint double vision look to the mirror occasionally, but it doesn't bother me regularly. As long as I see there is a car there, I am happy.

#8 ·
Distorted drivers side rear view

My apologies if this has already been brought up in "pet peeves"; I didn't go through all 3300+ responses, BUT does anyone else have a distorted driver's side rear view mirror (auto-dimming)? My new one is just horrible!

The dealer is ordering a replacement, but the one on their showroom demo was only slightly better, so a replacement may not help. Are they ALL bad? It's very disconcerting when driving! :shake:

- Jay

#16 ·
My apologies if this has already been brought up in "pet peeves"; I didn't go through all 3300+ responses, BUT does anyone else have a distorted driver's side rear view mirror (auto-dimming)? My new one is just horrible!

The dealer is ordering a replacement, but the one on their showroom demo was only slightly better, so a replacement may not help. Are they ALL bad? It's very disconcerting when driving! :shake:

- Jay
Mine seems to be fine. I haven't noticed any distortion or double vision at all.

Are your problems only at night when it dims, or is it all the time?

#11 ·
There is a TSB related to the auto dimming mirrors, but I don't think it's applicable to this, but then again it might be? Here's the text...
There have been a limited number of cases where the appearance of the exterior Auto Dim mirror glass has changed to having a permanent dark blue or yellowish tint (sometimes also with a pattern) as shown in the example photos.
The source of this condition has been traced to a short to ground in the interior Auto Dim mirror harness as a result of improper routing during installation. The interior Auto Dim mirror controls the dimming function of the 2 exterior mirrors. This short to ground may result in excessive voltage (more than 1.6v) being applied to the Auto Dim mirror circuit. The result is damage to both exterior mirrors as described above.

#12 ·
Also, if during installation, any of the wiring is not suitably located and gets stuck behind the mirror, it can cause distortion to the mirror - because it's not totally flat. This happened to me when I first installed the mirrors. I removed the driver one, reseated the wiring and things are much better now.

Tom

#15 ·
I have the auto dimming mirrors with approach lighting and at times experience double vision on the driver's side mirror like the OP said. Not only that, but there is also distortion in the objects that appear in the mirror. If I look at a parked car and slowly move my head so that the car passes from one side of the mirror to the other I can see a sort of rippling or waving effect in the car. Part of the car is distorted and as I move, a different part of the car distorts. It's like looking in a curvy fun-house mirror except it's very subtle. It drives me crazy though. I had the mirror changed under warranty but the second mirror exhibits the same flaws.

#20 · (Edited)
Same problem here on Mr 17 FXT. Had it replaced and it was better at first but I'd seams to worse now that it's been a couple months since. It doesn't matter, day or night, clear or dimmed, heat or no heat.

Got a picture of the mirror, it is quite annoying and gives me a headache 🙁

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Update on mine, soa has no complaints on record for the mirror, but they just replaced the entire mirror housing and it is 'mostly' better, but still blurry on one spot. They had the regional service representative look at it and confirm the issue and found the mounting points for the glass about 5mm out of spec. Hence them replacing the entire thing. But this is still an issue and the service manager is working with soa to figure out what is next.

If anyone else has this, make sure you get the dealer to submit a issue case with soa so that it can get addressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I purchased my 2018 Forester Touring two weeks ago, and am also dealing with the issue of blurry and double vision in the driver side Auto-dimming mirror. My service manager has been great so far and has replaced the glass once for me, but the issue still persists.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.