Anyone regret purchasing their Forester a little bit? - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A bit..

Yes, I regret a bit. Too many little annoyances...

Problem is, there wasn't\ isn't anything better for visibility/safety and lack of gadgetry (hate push start buttons and other gadgets).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT-P
My regret is that Subaru has no 5 door WRX anymore, it would have been the preferred choice. I feel the XT Forester was the best of the limited choice available of small wagons with above average performance and a decent 10 year reliability record. The next Mazdaspeed 3 hatchback may be a future consideration, if it gets AWD and you can put a hitch on it for the Waverunner (no center exhaust).

The OP should probably sell his Forester, assess his needs and wants, and shop again. Mustang convertible?

sliksal02, EJH and subiesubieDOOO like this.

I still miss my BugEye WRX Wagon
post #33 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: FXT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJH View Post
Not sure your age, but here's my similar story. I leased a top model Nissan Pathfinder in 2000, right out of college. It was a nice, elegent car, but I traded it in early for a WRX. I wanted more fun and a MT also. I did use the SUV capacity and 4x4 of the Pathfinder though unlike you and your FXT (I am outdoorsy and drive in mountains). The current FXT is my first jump back into an SUV after 15-ish years of driving mostly hatchbacks (which I love too). However, desires and needs change. I love my FXT more than probably any other vehicle I've owned, with the exception of maybe my first new car when I was young.

However, it is odd that your research would direct you to an AWD SUV when you don't seem to need to benefits of of either one (AWD or capacity).
I just turned 31. I think my mistake was buying the car because it seemed perfect for the long-run (and I was hoping to keep it until it died), as opposed to perfect for now. In terms of utility for family, for travel, for multi-use of any kind... it still is really hard to beat.
TheHolyCannoli likes this.

post #34 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgMobile View Post
Yes, miss a real (not necessarily M) transmission with better low end torque. Miss feeling connected to the machine in my SJ the way I did in my SH; In the SJ I feel like I'm talking to computers: throttle, steering, brakes, etc., everything feels like I'm giving it an input to a computer that will interpret what I want based on mine and a bunch of other inputs not controlling the car as an extension of my foot or hand.
I think this is the perfect description. The car seems to lack feel.
post #35 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
I don't regret my recent purchase of the Forester, but then again, it's for my wife.

I do absolutely understand missing the stick shift though...I have always had stick shifts up until 3 years ago, when I got a Volvo. Despite the fact that it is probably the nicest, most expensive car I have ever owned, it is a bit...boring?

So now my daughter has taken over the Volvo, I am driving the wife's old Mazda5 (stick shift) and contemplating what my next "real" car will be. Maybe the 2017 Impreza, assuming the stick will still be available. (Although the Golf R is tempting...)

You could try putting the Forester up for sale and see what you get...as others have mentioned, the resale does seem to be pretty strong, so if you didn't overpay when you bought it in the first place, you might be able to get out without too big a hit.
post #36 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM
TMF
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliksal02 View Post
Thanks for the support, everyone... Yeah, the current plan is to ride out the depreciation hit for 2 years. @Beluga , funny you mention BMW! I'm hoping to get an M2, either a lease return or, if I've leveled up sufficiently in life, a new one. Gonna ride out the Forester for a little bit to make sure I really don't like it ;)

I actually researched what I wanted for over a year, and the XT checked off a lot of boxes on paper. But I only took two short test drives and really underestimated how much I'd miss manual transmission and low-end torque (had a Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT before this).
Do I regret my Forester XT? No!

But...the purchase of my XT was a result of regret from the last car purchase. I previously had a 2012 Legacy 3.6R that I regretted the day after I bought it.

I initially liked the Legacy for the "nice" interior (I say that lightly, because it's a Subaru), Harman Kardon radio, front leg room, and torquey 3.6 motor.

But I really disliked the driver seat comfort (changeable), it lacked some higher end features (keyless access, backup cam, adaptive cruise, etc), and I missed having a wagon/hatch (not changeable).

So I put up with the Legacy for 2 years, and I finally just pulled the trigger on the XT. But this time, I didn't want buyer's remorse. I researched and test drove a ton of other options (almost drove my fiance crazy, but she's a rock star and understood ), and ultimately landed on the XT. I still don't like the driver's seat comfort, but that is being remedied by a Recaro I should also note that I also have a FRS, so when I want to run through the gears and enjoy a spirited drive, I hop in that.

If I was in your case, I would NOT drive a Subaru. AWD isn't necessary in CA, and there are a ton of great FWD and RWD options out there. If I was in your case, I would either:

1. Get rid of the Forester and research, and buy something that better suits you. (it's only going to depreciate faster)
2. If your budget allows, and you think you might enjoy the extra space of the Forester eventually, pick up a 2nd "fun" car for times you want a spirited drive. Miata's are cheap these days!
EJH likes this.
post #37 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
I think this is the perfect description. The car seems to lack feel.
Other member that was (rightfully) complaining about lack of feel has 2.5 CVT which is very different than your XT...
This can be subjective but I doubt that you will find any other modern automatics that will feel more connected than XT in S#. You just need to use paddle shifters occasionally...
It is different story if you are comparing it to a manual.
EJH likes this.
post #38 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post

But I really disliked the driver seat comfort (changeable)
Amen to that. After everything else I did, the driver's seat was the last thing that made me wonder "Why do I put up with this?!?"

Now that my new seats are in, I'm 100% content during my commute.
post #39 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post

If I was in your case, I would NOT drive a Subaru. AWD isn't necessary in CA, and there are a ton of great FWD and RWD options out there. If I was in your case, I would either:

1. Get rid of the Forester and research, and buy something that better suits you. (it's only going to depreciate faster)
2. If your budget allows, and you think you might enjoy the extra space of the Forester eventually, pick up a 2nd "fun" car for times you want a spirited drive. Miata's are cheap these days!
Thanks, glad to hear you had a similar experience and came out better for it. I'm interested in the BMW M2, but it just came out amid high demand, so it's not even really available for (at least) 6-8 months. Gives me some time to get my finances in order before I jump in. I think I'll be able to live with the Forester for a couple years, if need be.
TMF likes this.
post #40 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Only thing I wish mine had would be some type arm elbow rest. Even the height of the center console unit pulled forward just does not provide comfortable arm support.

post #41 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: AT
I'm so glad I came across this thread because I need to vent a bit as I'm considering selling the Forester.

I have to admit that I do have some regret. I was in a situation were my previous car needed a major repair and I had to make a quick decision if I would make the repair or get into a new car. On top of that, I had to make a quick decision on what vehicle to purchase. I do lots of driving throughout the day for my job, so I needed something fuel efficient and good in the snow. My wife and I were planning to start a family so I needed the rear cargo space. Finally, I wanted something that I could take off-road for camping/fishing/hunting trips. Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

I made the purchase just about 3yrs ago and I would go in another direction for a few different reasons...

1) Power and fuel efficiency: Going from a V6 Maxima to a V4 Forester was a HUGE change. I thought I could justify losing the power to gain AWD and better fuel efficiency. Problem is that in my opinion, the Forester would need to get about 25+mpg in the city to make up for the lack of power. I'm getting between 17-19mpg AT BEST...about what I was getting with my Maxima that had headers and a cat-back exhaust. I've tried to drive this thing like my grandmother would have driven it, and still, even putting it into neutral going down hills, I'm not hitting 21mpg consistently. Overall, I think I allowed MPG's to sway me away from other options when in reality. There really isn't any significant difference between an advertised 21mpg small SUV vs a true 19mpg quad-cab truck.

2) Interior and dash: Some will disagree with me on this, but the more time I spend with the vehicle, the more I dislike the interior. The driver seat is just not comfortable to me; it places my right leg/knee at a weird angle to the gas pedal and the seat surface isn't deep enough. I'm 5'10 and my thighs hang off the front edge considerably. I fully understand this isn't meant to be a luxury car, but the plastics and vinyl look and feel cheap and outdated. Overall just very plain and bare bones. Obviously I knew this when making the purchase, but it has bothered me more and more over time.

3) Socially awkward: Again, this is completely subjective and maybe even shallow on my part, but I can't help but notice that 90% (no exaggeration) of the time I see another Forester, there is an elderly woman behind the wheel. The other 10% of the time is comprised of either an elderly man, middle aged woman, or high school aged boy. I can LITERALLY say that I've never seen another man in his early 30's drive past me in a Forester. I've also got some odd looks pulling up to pheasant and deer hunting land. Maybe I'm ust self-conscious about it, but simply put, I guess I feel "funny" driving a Forester.

The vehicle is flat out amazing in the snow and has great cargo capacity considering it's a compact SUV, but I think I'd be happier with something else.

Last edited by TheHolyCannoli; 03-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.
post #42 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyCannoli View Post
3) Socially awkward: Again, this is completely subjective and maybe even shallow on my part, but I can't help but notice that 90% (no exaggeration) of the time I see another Forester, there is an elderly woman behind the wheel. The other 10% of the time is comprised of either an elderly man, middle aged woman, or high school aged boy. I can LITERALLY say that I've never seen another man in his early 30's drive past me in a Forester. Simply put, I feel as though I look "funny" driving my Forester.
Haha yes, I definitely relate. And being in our early 30s, I may be projecting, but I'm just not interested in spending thousands of dollars on cosmetic changes to make a Forester look cool. I'd prefer my car to represent my demographic from the factory. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And that's not to say I didn't know the Forester reputation before I bought my car, I just didn't expect to care (though it's still a minor issue and the XT is pretty good looking)

I know what you mean about the transition from a 6 cylinder. I used to get 23-24 mpg overall on my Infiniti, get 26 mpg average on my Forester. Over 14 gallons, that's 28 miles, so like a $3-5 difference per tank. I'm just not sure I value that enough to lose as much fun-factor as I have.
post #43 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: A/T
Sounds like a few folks would have appreciated the Baja if they still made them. That was our dilemma when I decided on my Foz. We're not toting a bunch of kids. We're not grandparents. We want safety and AWD but not in a station wagon or little car like an Impreza or WRX. BUT they didn't make enough Bajas so the ones out there are expensive, generally higher miles and hard to find in our area in decent shape (originally I was just going to buy another Baja). Leaving me with a 00-04 OB, where I could at least get my fav color-green-even if it was a station wagon :(. Then I started looking at the 03-05 Foz and fell in love. I am really unsure what we'll do when we need another car-I might go on a cross country hunt for another one with low miles and rust free. Hopefully I wont have to deal with that for a while, I've only got 113K on mine and I'll be doing rust control (mostly just surface on the undercarriage) in spring when its warmer.

2005 Forester XS 2004 Forester XT 2006 Baja sport
post #44 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester I
Transmission: Auto
Having traded an '01 Forester that blew the head gasket at 140,000, so maybe not too bad, then junked the Outback with too many issues to name, but also at 140,000, I was hoping the slightly used '11 Forester would have been better.

And it has. Except it burns oil. 2 Qts. every 5000 is just a PITA, especially on trips. And a $100 oil change of Mobile 1 synthetic 0/20 plus filter is just a dumb way to build a car. Next time I'll know to force the dealer into free oil changes for life.

My wife's '11 Imprezza Outback Sport has no oil issues. No issues at all really except the low profile performance tires and rims (really ? - it's an Outback !).

So a bit disappointed in Subaru and not at all happy with the dealer, whose attitude when I tell them I added the oil is a "so what, what do you want us to do about it" shrug.
post #45 of 257 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: AT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyCannoli View Post
3) Socially awkward: Again, this is completely subjective and maybe even shallow on my part, but I can't help but notice that 90% (no exaggeration) of the time I see another Forester, there is an elderly woman behind the wheel. The other 10% of the time is comprised of either an elderly man, middle aged woman, or high school aged boy. I can LITERALLY say that I've never seen another man in his early 30's drive past me in a Forester. Simply put, I feel as though I look "funny" driving my Forester.
Haha yes, I definitely relate. And being in our early 30s, I may be projecting, but I'm just not interested in spending thousands of dollars on cosmetic changes to make a Forester look cool. I'd prefer my car to represent my demographic from the factory. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And that's not to say I didn't know the Forester reputation before I bought my car, I just didn't expect to care (though it's still a minor issue and the XT is pretty good looking)

I know what you mean about the transition from a 6 cylinder. I used to get 23-24 mpg overall on my Infiniti, get 26 mpg average on my Forester. Over 14 gallons, that's 28 miles, so like a $3-5 difference per tank. I'm just not sure I value that enough to lose as much fun-factor as I have.
At least you're getting better gas mileage than your Infinity...I'm getting worse or the same. Maybe there's a mechanical issue hidden somewhere, but this has been consistent since I made the purchase.

And to add to my list...wind/road noise is borderline unacceptable. I have a hard time using the bluetooth for phone calls on the highway.

I really like the cargo capacity and off road capability so I'm thinking about jumping into the truck game. Scheduled to go test drive the 2016 Tacoma tomorrow afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode